I'm cold!! Any suggestions?

Options
They had to radiate my thyroid and kill it in 2009. I've been on thyroid meds since. Just recently they had to up the dosage. I don't know if it's that or something else, but I just can't seem to get warm or stay warm. I only live in So Cal, no snow, it's in the high 50's low 60's.

Any suggestions for getting warm and staying warm?

Replies

• tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Take a hot bath, I find that keeps me warm for hours after. Drinking hot tea helps, warm foods, exercise, etc. Dress in layers, sweaters. Get an electric blanket for when you are in bed or while watching tv.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this sounds snarky, but....just dress warmer? :laugh: I mean, what else CAN you do?

I guess there are pocket warmers, too, if your hands are always cold. You can get them at R.E.I. or any other camping/sporting goods store.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Put on a pair of socks. Grab a blanket.

Read a book or turn on the TV or radio and RELAX.

Doing that right now.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I am always cold, too, and I live in Houston, TX :)

One thing that helps me is hand warmers. You can buy disposable ones made by Grabber (at sporting goods stores). They activate when opened and last all day. I keep some in my office and just hold them throughout the day. Alternatively, Zippo makes a metal lighter fluid driven hand warmer.
  • RedHotHunter
    RedHotHunter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    An electric blanket. You should be able to find one at a walmart type store for a reasonable price. They are great for warming up and you can take them from room to room if need be.
  • samlankford
    Options
    Yeah I keep my heating pad on my back when I am sitting on the couch at night... I am ALWAYS cold if I am not moving around, thinking of an electric throw blanket soon since it is getting mighty chilly now :bigsmile:
  • dunlunicor
    dunlunicor Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Don't drink anything with ice in it. I have problems with thermal regulation, and any time I drink so much as a sip of anything iced, I feel like I'm about to freeze to death, and I just have to wait it out, as nothing will help. Hot tea is also a life-saver in the wintertime, as well as wearing thermal underwear and undershirts.
  • nasoj007
    nasoj007 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Since I've lost some weight I find I'm freezing all the time, we get real winters up here in Canada eh lol ,only consolation is shivering burns calories ;) As for what to do a hot shower and a warm blanket go a long way, you also may want to invest in a small space heater to blow some warm air at you when you get real cold.
  • SleeplessinBerlin
    SleeplessinBerlin Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Improve your blood circulation - get out of the house. Go for a brisk walk. Dance or do a short workout. Really, this is what helps me most.
  • Breadbar
    Breadbar Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    My heated mattress pad insures that I climb into a pre-heated bed. I wear many many layers and drink hot tea & low cal hot chocolates as needed but my favorite is a steamy hot bubble bath!
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I'm always in layers now even in the summer. At church today I had on leggings, jeans, t-shirt, sweater, sweatshirt and wool coat. I had a beanie and the sweatshirt and wool coat had hoods. I also had gloves. You'd think I was in snow.

I am constantly heating up tea or something hot, but I feel like I'm floating away. I love shower's they do warm me for a little while, but I don't have a bath tub. When I walked the dog I warmed up a littel, that felt really good, but my knee is having problems or I would be walking the dog's legs off.

I know after losing a lot of weight I hear others complain of being cold, so I though there was something else I could do. I've lost a total of 110 lbs. I'm going back to my heater now. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. If nothing else, at least I know I'm on the right track.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    we have the opposite problem I would take some of your "cool" times in exchange for these stinking hotflashes:( argggggggggg:angry::cry: :explode:
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    LOLLLLLLL, low cal chocolates as needed, what a hoot!!:flowerforyou:
    My heated mattress pad insures that I climb into a pre-heated bed. I wear many many layers and drink hot tea & low cal hot chocolates as needed but my favorite is a steamy hot bubble bath!
  • I am always cold, too, and I live in Houston, TX :)

One thing that helps me is hand warmers. You can buy disposable ones made by Grabber (at sporting goods stores). They activate when opened and last all day. I keep some in my office and just hold them throughout the day. Alternatively, Zippo makes a metal lighter fluid driven hand warmer.

The Zippo hand warmer is pretty awesome for heat. It will definitely warm up your hands. I've reviewed these ***in-depth** as part of my living, and I can say that unless you're a serious outdoorsman/woman, there are other hand warmers you'll probably be happier with.

Advantages of the Zippo: very warm, and will last a long time (up to 22 hours or slightly more).

Advantages of electric rechargeable hand warmers: they're warm enough unless you're duck hunting, and they require no lighter fluid, matches, etc. (However, they do need to be recharged several hours between uses (they last 4 to 5 hours) and are more expensive than the Zippo or the S-Boston lighter-fluid based hand warmers.)

There are disadvantages to each of these, too. And some unexpected ones (the Zippo can't be turned off, for example, unless you smother it in a Ziploc bag. The S-Boston lighter-fluid based one does have an off/on button, tho ... heheh what a concept.)

I wrote a seriously in-depth review of all these technologies. (Hope it's not considered spamming here, my apologies if so. But I think before you choose a hand warmer technology, you'll be glad you read the review.)

http://outdoorgearandtravel.com/the-best-hand-warmer/
  • cecyvaquero
    cecyvaquero Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I always have a sweater on at work becuase I am always cold even if the heat is on.
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    THERMALS! Pants and tops. They definitely help me.