Laxatives

tammietifanie
tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I have issue's with going number 2 and i have tried every fiber powder drink out there and adding tons of fiber to my diet but nothing is working so im going to buy a pack of Laxatives and see if that helps me but wanted to know if anyone takes Laxatives and if so what brand , how many a day and results from them???

Replies

• mmnichol
    mmnichol Posts: 208 Member
    I wouldn't recommend using this every day but Miralax will work, it's generic now so is cheaper. Or for something more nature, try 6-7 prunes, that should help.
  • tammietifanie
    Does it cause you to rush to the restroom or is it slow working on the body?? I don't want something that will out of now where hit me and i'll have to race to a bathroom
  • SoldierDad
    SoldierDad Posts: 1,602
    Does it cause you to rush to the restroom or is it slow working on the body?? I don't want something that will out of now where hit me and i'll have to race to a bathroom

Take 3 walmart brand laxatives and in like a few hours you will be allllllllllllll good!
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    You may want to take a look at your diet. Food reacts differently to everyone. Have you changed your eating patterns? Dairy products tend to bind people right up, make sure you're eating plenty of green veggies and fruits high in vitamin C. The acidic fruits like grapefruits will help as well. Maybe take a look there, before you try pills.
  • pianoteacherevan
    pianoteacherevan Posts: 55 Member
    I recommend an Activia yogurt once a day. They guarantee it will make you regular. It's also just good for you in general.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    I have issue's with going number 2 and i have tried every fiber powder drink out there and adding tons of fiber to my diet but nothing is working so im going to buy a pack of Laxatives and see if that helps me but wanted to know if anyone takes Laxatives and if so what brand , how many a day and results from them???

Try Traditional Medicinals Senna Smooth Moves Laxative tea at night before bedtime. It is very gentle and it works! It doesnt give you cramping or the urge to have to go right right now. It helps move things out. I buy mine at GNC/Whole Foods or CVS Pharmacy. $5.00 will get you 10 tea bags to a box. I swear by this stuff. Good luck.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    You may want to revise your diet too, because your body does need certain amount of fats to help keep you regular.

I was given stool softener, not a lax, after having my kids and they were very gentle and efficient in getting the job done. No cramping or explosive diarrhea. I also did a 7 day cleanse called re-cleanse and I thought that was very gentle in getting things cleared up.
  • bebhinn
    bebhinn Posts: 198
    oo something else that bears mentioning is - water. LOTS of water. Constipation is often due to dehydration.
  • I have issue's with going number 2 and i have tried every fiber powder drink out there and adding tons of fiber to my diet but nothing is working so im going to buy a pack of Laxatives and see if that helps me but wanted to know if anyone takes Laxatives and if so what brand , how many a day and results from them???

Try Traditional Medicinals Senna Smooth Moves Laxative tea at night before bedtime. It is very gentle and it works! It doesnt give you cramping or the urge to have to go right right now. It helps move things out. I buy mine at GNC/Whole Foods or CVS Pharmacy. $5.00 will get you 10 tea bags to a box. I swear by this stuff. Good luck.

i swear by it too!
  • Hello tammietifanie

I am the same way actually I never go no matter how much fiber I eat. I take Life brand Herbal Senna laxatives. They work great and I take 2 to 3 before bed time. I hear angels sing the next morning... lol but true.

Try them really they work and very gentle - no pains at all.

Vstar :bigsmile:
  • I have issue's with going number 2 and i have tried every fiber powder drink out there and adding tons of fiber to my diet but nothing is working so im going to buy a pack of Laxatives and see if that helps me but wanted to know if anyone takes Laxatives and if so what brand , how many a day and results from them???

i swear by it too!

I agree. But I don't use this brand, I use Alvita. I get it at Better Health. I've never seen this one at CVS, I'll have to check that out. But as long as it is senna, its all good. Drink it before bed, and by morning you should be all better.
  • annastasia76
    annastasia76 Posts: 123 Member
    you need to drink lots of water to keep your body regular, I know some swear by activia but I have not noticed any difference with it. The more water the better. I know that water is controversial on this site but you should be drinking enough water until your urine is clear, and you should be drinking water throughout the day and if that still does not help then I would recommend a stool softener and not a lax
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    When you added the fiber, did you also up your water? You need both, and when you increase your fiber, your water has to go way up too. You could try a stool softener- walmart has one. It's in a white bottle, and says "stool softener" on the bottle.

Water, water, water!
  • tammietifanie
    Thank you everyone for your replys... I drink tons of water daily at least 70 oz and i don't eat much dairy since it doesn't settle right with me so i do try to get enough fiber with healthy foods but nothing is working... Im going to my local health food store to see what they have.
  • My son had a really hard time with constipation. I tried Plumsmart Juice by Sunsweet and it worked wonders! You can find it in the juice isle. It tastes pretty good and he has been going 2 times a day since i started giving it to him. I think it takes around a week to really start to be affective. It would be better for you than taking any type of meds. Give it a try i think it could really help you out.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Try some flax meal. It has a laxative effect.
  • Use the Miralax. My little boy has been on this for about 3 years per his GI doctor. It is not habit forming and is safe to use every day. It is actually not a laxative. It just floods water into your colon.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,993 Member
    I'd like to echo what some have said about using stool softeners as opposed to laxatives. They're much more gentle but still effective. I rely on them fairly regularly, even though I drink lots of water and get a lot of fiber as well. It's something that plagued my dad and now my daughter, so I think it tends to run in our family.
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    My daughter has had constipation issues since she was a new born (she's 2 1/2 now). I was talking to her dr recently and she said sometimes over doing the fiber causes a problem. We do double fiber everything we can so we've gone to normal whole wheat and such now. Fiber does NOTHING for our daughter. Prunes work and I've heard that any fruit with a pit is "the pits" so stay away from them :O)
    As far as laxatives go, I agree with Miralax. It worked for my daughter and I figured if they recommend it for a 6 month old it has to be gentle on the tummy (although we never gave it to her then).
    I also agree with the Flaxseed. We use flaxseed oil in a smoothie.
    Best of luck!
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    I second the activa, I have been eating it for the last week, one a day, and it has been keeping me regular!
This discussion has been closed.