Lent and Fasting

Options
Is any one else out there fasting during Lent? In general I will only be eating one meal each day and two snacks as is recommended by the church. I will also be abstianing from meat for most meals (always on Friday, and others by choice). I will also be abstaining from refined sugar and diet sodas.

Replies

• FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    i dont fast per-se i do abstain from meat on fridays and of course today but i am giving up the same things as you are...
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i am on a liquid fast today and will do it once a week during lent, friday's no meat. my main fast this year is giving up facebook. lol. good luck!
    dawn
  • hkuiuc99
    hkuiuc99 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I fasted today (Ash Wednesday) and fast on the other Holy Days (Good Friday, etc), and I don't eat meat on Fridays of lent. On the days that I fast, I usually only eat one meal that day (late afternoon or dinner) or two small meals that are equal to one meal. I try to drink a lot of water when I do fast although today I didn't really drink very much....Also, on days when I fast, I don't workout because I don't usually have the energy.
  • hkuiuc99
    hkuiuc99 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    wow! giving up facebook! that's a good one! I don't think I could make it more than 2 hours, hahaha
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    wow! giving up facebook! that's a good one! I don't think I could make it more than 2 hours, hahaha

lol. i'm already going through withdrawal - shakes, headache, anxiety... :) 40 days is going to be a loooooong time.
  • thirtyby40
    thirtyby40 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    In the past I have always given up something. Coffee, chocolate, sweets to name a few. This year I think I am going to concentrate on healthy choices. You know fuel my body in a more natural way. I haven't picked a particular thing to give up.I would be afraid of shutting down my metabolism by switching to 1 meal and 2 snacks a day. To each their own I guess.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    In the past I have always given up something. Coffee, chocolate, sweets to name a few. This year I think I am going to concentrate on healthy choices. You know fuel my body in a more natural way. I haven't picked a particular thing to give up.I would be afraid of shutting down my metabolism by switching to 1 meal and 2 snacks a day. To each their own I guess.

You won't shut down your metabolism from eating 1 meal and 2 snacks per day...............

There is something called Intermittent Fasting and it proves that "starvation mode" is just a myth and not true.

I have given up Diet Soda, even the natural sodas..................
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Last year I gave up watching NASCAR racing for Lent, but this year, I am waivering between giving up chocolate, or giving up alcohol. Since I don't do much of either, that doesn't seem like much of a stretch. And giving up the races isn't that big a deal, since half the time when I tape them, I don't have a chance to watch them.

For me, I think commiting to 30 minutes of cardio no matter what would be more of a sacrifice, since my schedule is really all over the place, but then again, is it really a Lenten sacrifice if it ultimately benefits you?

I am too tired to think straight about this now. I did avoid meat today, and ate less than I would have normally. I intend to follow the abstinence and eating restrictions on Fridays throughout Lent.

I am having some problems with dizziness that I think are related to a concussion I got about 3 weeks ago, and I hesitated to eat too light for fear of getting lightheaded and falling on my face. I already proved three weeks ago that the nose as a shock absorber is not a good option, :noway: :noway: so I didn't want to demonstrate it to myself again!!!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Last year I gave up watching NASCAR racing for Lent, but this year, I am waivering between giving up chocolate, or giving up alcohol. Since I don't do much of either, that doesn't seem like much of a stretch. And giving up the races isn't that big a deal, since half the time when I tape them, I don't have a chance to watch them.

For me, I think commiting to 30 minutes of cardio no matter what would be more of a sacrifice, since my schedule is really all over the place, but then again, is it really a Lenten sacrifice if it ultimately benefits you?

I am too tired to think straight about this now. I did avoid meat today, and ate less than I would have normally. I intend to follow the abstinence and eating restrictions on Fridays throughout Lent.

I am having some problems with dizziness that I think are related to a concussion I got about 3 weeks ago, and I hesitated to eat too light for fear of getting lightheaded and falling on my face. I already proved three weeks ago that the nose as a shock absorber is not a good option, :noway: :noway: so I didn't want to demonstrate it to myself again!!!

Here is some information about helping your brain to heal from a concussion with eating whole foods and some supplements.

http://www.doc20.com/disease/concussion/nutritions-and-supplements.html

Concussion Nutritions & Supplements

Antioxidants helpful in healing brain injury are vitamins A, C, E and all the B vitamins, as well as the minerals selenium and zinc.

Vitamin B helps to maintain proper nerve function and relieve depression and anxiety. It should be taken in a B complex vitamin for optimal effect.

Vitamin C stimulates the healing process as well as enhances the immune system, reduces blood pressure and protects against bruising and blood clotting. Although if you take vitamin C with bioflavonoids it works better.

Vitamin E helps to repair the damaged tissues. While if you take vitamins C and E together, it has greater effect than taken it separately.

Selenium prevents the formation of free radicals which damage the cells.

Zinc helps to maintain the proper concentration of vitamin E.

Some other natural supplements also helps in enhancing both short and long term memory. Serine, can be taken as a supplement called lecithin or phosphatidylserine, while a minimum 6 month trial of 10-20 grams of 95% phosphatidylserine may be beneficial in memory enhancement.

Coenzyme Q10 helps to carry oxygen to cells, also has negligible side effect when used as directed. GBE also helps in healing.
  • ashlieh4048
    ashlieh4048 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I don't fast I just give up something that I usually use daily,and that is my sacrifice.
    This year I'm giving up caffeine!