MyFitnessPal doesn't count calories from fat?

Options
Is there a way to make it so MyFitnessPal counts every calorie including calories from fat (see a nutritional label if you're not sure what I'm talking about)? I added a food to my log yesterday and it came out 45 calories less because the calories from fat wasn't included.
Total calories: 175
Calories from fat: 45
So I actually ate 175 calories instead of 130. Any help?

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Must be an inaccurate entry in the database. Just choose one that lists the same number of calories as the package. I've never run across that particular mistake but there are tons of inaccuracies because the data is user-entered.
  • NathanielArca
    Options
    Must be an inaccurate entry in the database. Just choose one that lists the same number of calories as the package. I've never run across that particular mistake but there are tons of inaccuracies because the data is user-entered.
    I sometimes scan the barcode of my food, so those should be accurate but still they're not.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Never had that problem.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    I sometimes scan the barcode of my food, so those should be accurate but still they're not.

Even the barcode scanning isn't completely accurate. I've scanned some items and come up with completely different foods! You just need to be diligent about double-checking.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    MFP does count fat calories. If you can't find an accurate entry, make one yourself. And if your scan isn't correct, correct it manually. Back when I started MFP, half the stuff I ate wasn't even in the database yet, so I had to input everything myself to start. Now, everything is in there multiple times, and with plenty of errors, because some people are idiots (sorry, true story). So now I check for accuracy before choosing an entry. :flowerforyou:
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    175 TOTAL calories, 45 of those were from fat. You can also adjust your diary to see your macros.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options

I don't know the exact technology behind this, but scanning barcodes will only match you up to the closest match in the database. It doesn't magically know what the food item is. For instance, I've scanned one brand of peanut butter, and it rang up as another brand (though they were both natural, crunchy). We should all be confirming and correcting things as we enter them. Truly, you could be a part of the solution to the problem by checking things as you scan them, and altering things when there's something incorrect about the entry. It is a user-created database, after all.
  • RedHotHunter
    RedHotHunter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    You are mis-reading the label.
    That first number is the total of calories in the food.
    The "cals from fat" is just exactly that. NOT additional calories.

EG
    Calories 200
    Cal from fat 50
    Cal from everything else 150

Hope this helps :smile:
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    MFP does count fat calories. If you can't find an accurate entry, make one yourself. And if your scan isn't correct, correct it manually. Back when I started MFP, half the stuff I ate wasn't even in the database yet, so I had to input everything myself to start. Now, everything is in there multiple times, and with plenty of errors, because some people are idiots (sorry, true story). So now I check for accuracy before choosing an entry. :flowerforyou:

Quoted for truth. At least half the entries here on MFP were clearly entered by morons. Always double-check EVERYTHING or just enter in the info yourself.
  • NathanielArca
    Options
    You are mis-reading the label.
    That first number is the total of calories in the food.
    The "cals from fat" is just exactly that. NOT additional calories.

EG
    Calories 200
    Cal from fat 50
    Cal from everything else 150

Hope this helps :smile:
    Thanks for telling me. I've been reading nutrition labels the wrong way for 2 years now, how embarrassing.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I check everything the first time I enter it. Most of the stuff in the database is wrong. I tend to look for things that are worded exactly like they are on the packaging. Usually people who took the time to fill out the correct name, input the correct numbers. If I can't find a match I enter it myself. I don't understand why people with no attention to detail, choose to share there entries. :grumble: