Ways to make my smoothie more filling

Options
Right now my smoothies are just: Fruits, OJ, and Ice. Im not into veggie smoothies so im trying to stick with fruit. What would make it more filling? I guess I could add Protein Powder but i dont really know anything about it.

Replies

• bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Add a protein source like greek yogurt or protein powder. Also, drop the oj and either add milk or nothing. If you want more calories add oatmeal, oat bran, flax seeds, chia or something like that.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I use Shakeology as a meal replacement. Typically for lunch since I tend to skip lunch. I'll inbox you :)
  • vander7679
    vander7679 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Mine consists of V8 Light Fruit fusion, frozen fruit, flax seeds, some Special K Protein Water mix, and 3/4 c spinach. You can't taste the spinach and it is filling for me.
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    I have fruit, banana, milk, greek yoghurt, honey and chia seeds and I am full till lunch.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    If you aren't finding them filing why aren't you having solid food instead?
  • notyourkimmy
    notyourkimmy Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I agree with oatmeal, really filling
  • Ahmaad6lbj
    Ahmaad6lbj Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    PB, Sweet potato(Awesome), cinnamon, oats
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Ground flax seed 1 tbs and I guarantee you will be full.
    I make mine with frozen banana and strawberries, protein powder, ground flax, and almond milk. Yum!
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Yogurt, oats, chia, flax seed peanut butter, or my current favorite silken tofu
  • gypsyscum
    Options
    I actually say ditch the ice and use frozen fruits to get the consistency and filling-ness that you want. There is a frozen tropical fruit mix (pinapple, mango, strawberry) that I buy that makes great smoothies. I use about a cup of that plus a sliced banana and 1/2 to 1 cup of almond milk and blend. (I can't use dairy products, so real milk and most protein powders aren't ingredients I can use.) If he banana is just starting to spot, it adds the perfect amount of natural sweetness.
  • busycitystreets
    busycitystreets Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Eggwhites.
  • Shange_Gully
    Options
    for mine i put in

oats
    banana
    whey
    whipped cream
    peanut butter
    whole milk

dem cals
    dem carbs
    dat protein
  • meghannrenee
    meghannrenee Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I use :
    Soy milk
    Protein powder
    peanut butter
    some sort of fruit - frozen mixed berries or a banana, or 1/2 and 1/2
    ice
    some water
    vegan shakeology

keeps me full for several hours - more so than when I used to make a spinach omelet with a bagel thin, or oatmeal, or cereal for breakfast instead.
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Great ideas! Some mornings when my stomach can't handle solid food I have a smoothie made with frozen strawberries, a banana, and protein powder, but I am still starving two hours later. Sounds like oats or tofu might do the trick?
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    ground flax is pretty decent without severely effecting the flavor(to me anyway)
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I do have solid foods- i like to make one every once in awhile in ADDITION to breakfast.

I use frozen fruit. I cant have milk. The OJ i use is the low cal kind and i try to use as little as possible.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    There are lots of good ideas here. I don't think I saw advocado, coconut milk or adding extra skim or soy milk powder along with protein powder
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    If you aren't finding them filing why aren't you having solid food instead?

This. Eat the fruit instead and eat other things as well. I much prefer eating my food rather than drinking it. If I'm going to save my calories to drink anything, I much prefer a nice merlot or malbec a few times a week.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    again- this is in addition to my meal. i am in no way replacing a meal with it. I am eating solid foods. I meet my calories every day and do not eat back my exercise ones.

Thanks for the ideas.Ill try some.
  • mq68
    mq68 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    i use a variation of these products for my protein shake....chia seeds, soy protein (allergic to whey), psyllium, almond milk or chocolate almond milk, 100% juice (any juice), frozen fruit, soy milk, local honey, h2o, local bee pollen, flax seed, quinoa flakes