I have finally hit rock bottom.

Options
Today, for the first time in nearly a month, I have weighed myself.
I was expecting bad, considering I've eaten out 5 or 6 times this month; but I was not expecting what I saw when I looked at the number on the scale.

Truth is, I've been avoiding the scale because I knew that I have totally blown my "diet" and threw caution to the wind. I turned the other cheek and sort of just accepted that I didn't care. I've been trying ever since before my 20 month old daughter was born to lose weight and for no use because ever time I'd lose, I'd gain it all back plus some. I used to joke around with my step sister, (who's skinny as all get out but think she's big as a house) that our country would have to go through some sort of horrific great depression type ordeal for me to lose any kind of weight. And she joked back that I'd have to hit rock bottom to lose anything, and that my rock bottom would more than likely involve dumpster diving for fried chicken. And I laughed along with her because she's hilarious, and chances were 100% she was right so I'd never hit rock bottom and I'd just mosey on around staying within the same losing 10 lbs, then gaining it back range. Not bad, I'd accepted it.

Well, she was wrong. My rock bottom was getting onto the scale for the first time in almost a month, and seeing a number that I'd thought I'd never see. My heart fell to my feet.

I've hit rock bottom. But the best part about rock bottom? There's nowhere to go but up.

Replies

• fortiesgal
    Options
    Sorry for the disappointing weigh in. You can get right back on track again. Tomorrow's a new day and you obviously want to lose weight, so you've got motivation!!! I just boiled a batch of hard boiled eggs--they really help stave off hunger and keep weight off. Get back on board, you've got this!:flowerforyou:
  • januarykim
    januarykim Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I can already see you're getting motivated. Good luck on your journey--each day is a new day, so don't quit if you make a mistake--just begin again! (also, your daughter is gorgeous!)
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    "I've hit rock bottom. But the best part about rock bottom? There's nowhere to go but up." <----THIS shows not only you, but everyone else, that you have the right attitude to succeed!!! :drinker:
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options

I have totally blown my "diet" and threw caution to the wind.

First thing I would suggest is to change your way of thinking. Diets do not work, if you restrict yourself you will crave what you are not allowed to have. Time to make a lifestyle change, get healthy, start your journey. Good luck to you.
  • LuvHinesWard86
    LuvHinesWard86 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    We are not on a diet. It's a lifestyle change. You can eat whatever foods you want as long as you maintain portion control and count calories. (((hugs))) We've all been there.
  • davyrockhit214
    Options
    I know this feeling all too well. Its the kind of thing that really gets you down, wrenches the heart and causes sincere regret at times. Here's to tomorrow! ;-)
  • PoliticalRN
    PoliticalRN Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Like you said, there is no where else to go but up! So, recommit to yourself and start with a clean slate. Time will pass regardless of what you are doing so use it to your advantage and take it one day at a time. You can do it! Good luck!
  • chaNyn613
    chaNyn613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    So what I am reading is now that you have hit rock bottom its time to get on track and get a "rock hard" bottom! You go girl!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Don't give up.
  • todd6977
    todd6977 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    im there to rock bottom but i think im below that i cant take it anymore
  • glitterjam
    glitterjam Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You can do this!!! We have all been where you are at, you are not alone. And remember....if you don't quit, you will never have to start over.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    "I've hit rock bottom. But the best part about rock bottom? There's nowhere to go but up." <----THIS shows not only you, but everyone else, that you have the right attitude to succeed!!! :drinker:

THIS^ You just proved to all of us that you have what it takes to meet all your goals!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Maybe stop dieting and start healthy eating in order to be the best role model for your daughter you can be? Many find it helpful to concentrate on what they can and should eat and not so much on what they cannot and should not: many healthy foods are low in calories or very filling. If you eat nine servings of low sugar fruits and non starchy vegetables, three servings of reduced fat dairy, oily fish regularly, other healthy fats little and often, lean protein at each meal and snack you should be eating a ton of food.

If you have lost weight before and then fallen off the wagon then you have a point of reference, something you can learn from - what went right about previous diets, what made you take your eye off the ball? Eating out is not the end of the world if you select your restaurant and meal carefully, practice portion control and consciously eat small mouthfuls slowly chewing everything thoroughly. Some prefer to undereat all day but many of us find it better not to go to the restaurant hungry because then we make poor choices.
  • klacount77
    klacount77 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    just keep trying. No matter how big or small your success is, it is still more than anyone else who hasn't even started to try yet.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I tripped when my scale said I gained another 6 pounds but that made me realize that I need to be more serious about what I allow myself to eat.
  • rader1
    rader1 Posts: 13
    Options
    I'm on the same roller coaster ride. Each day is a fresh start. Don't beat yourself up. Try again the next day and let your friends and family know that you could use some support. Good luck!!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,010 Member
    Options
    Trust me you haven't hit rock bottom.....your weight could double, there's nothing stopping it.
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    You sound a little like I was before I started my journey. I just couldn't get motivated to lose weight just for the sake of losing weight. But when my knee started giving me some serious issues I finally decided that I really did want to enjoy my child-free years. That got me moving, started to eat better. But I did learn a lot more here about doing it right. Now all my fav clothes are too big for me. You can do this but only if you really want to. But it is totally worth the effort and feeling like you have accomplished a mammoth task is an awesome feeling.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Totally agree on 'not a diet but a lifestyle change'. You can also still eat out, if you make good choices, but it is certainly harder.

The goal is hard to hit if its "I don't want to be fat" rather than "I need to make some changes for myself, and my family" (Insert your reasons there). We are all responsible for what goes in our mouth, as much as we don't like to think of that.

You can do it! Glad you are looking forward to looking up!!!!!!

We are here for the motivation, and that can mean a lot!
    Feel free to friend me if you're looking for more friends.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options

I have totally blown my "diet" and threw caution to the wind.

First thing I would suggest is to change your way of thinking. Diets do not work, if you restrict yourself you will crave what you are not allowed to have. Time to make a lifestyle change, get healthy, start your journey. Good luck to you.

This! This isn't a sprint, it's a marthon. One day, or one week does not mak or break our long term goal. It will be frustrating to go backwards(this is my week for that) but we have to remember that all is not lost. Pick yourself back up and keep going.