Anyone here do yoga? (mini-rant included)

Options

Replies

• crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I am a huge Yogi! I love Yoga and do it for an hour every evening. And I am currently in the process of becoming a certified Yoga Instructor. I've had that conversation countless times with people about Yoga being easy. I did a routine with fiance, who plays baseball every weekend AND is very athletic, sweating bullets and struggling with the workout I created for us. Yoga IS an intense workout. Anyone who says otherwise are probably just doing basic poses, and are most likely doing them incorrectly.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I want to...does that count? I just need to find the right program etc. I'm a little intimidated by the whole thing.
    My workouts are 1/2 and 1/2 cardio and weights hard core at this point and I *really* need some stretching and flexibility.

I posted earlier today (but got no response) if anyone can recommend any good yoga sessions on DVD or you tube. I'd like to go to classes but I'm already really struggling with time constraints.

^

In case you still need suggestions ........ this gets me moving in the morning :flowerforyou:

http://www.doyogawithme.com/content/burnout-bliss
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    If you're using the words "yoga" and "rant" in the same sentence, methinks you're doing it wrong. I spend a ginormous amount of time trolling.....errrr, I mean contributing to the F&E forums, and I don't recall seeing anyone saying yoga is easy or yoga is worthless. Yoga isn't lifting, sure. But doesn't have benefits? No one says that anywhere.

I wish I could link you to the thread I saw, but it was a week ago and it's too far gone. But there was a girl on here who started a thread about how she hated yoga and thought it was pointless. And a bunch of other MFPers chimed in and said yoga was useless in terms of exercise. Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean the thread wasn't there.

I think you might be referring to this one :

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/816655-i-don-t-get-yoga?hl=i+don't+get+yoga

Thank you. You saved me from using this site's terrible search feature. Just skimmed it. That 6 pages of yoga love, with a few voices of dissent that were drowned out by the love
  • kiddoc88
    kiddoc88 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I agree , and also practice yoga. The more advanced poses are indeed difficult, and even so, something doesn't have to feel difficult to be beneficial- take dancing for example! I too find it improves my balance and flexibility. The flow of the practice I also find refreshing and invigorating. I take a class right after boot camp at the gym .
    and well, then there's this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448
  • 2abnorth
    2abnorth Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I think all forms of exercise have their place, and pupose. No ONE exercise is correct. I do lift, do cardio, and also practice yoga (very much a beginner!). A yoga practice, incorporated with these other disciplines is especially beneficial for balance and flexibility, not to mention the meditative benefit.

As a beginner, I have a few recommendations......Just did Beginner's Yoga by Ellen Brower (Elements) which is excellent. Rodney Yee has some good ones as well, and Yoga Shakti by Shiva Rea is also very well done.

The only "wrong" exercise, is the one that isn't done!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm a dancer and yoga is an extremely important part of my dance training as it is for all the other dancers I dance with and it has always been an aspect of our warm up, conditioning, keeping our bodies healthy and injury prevention and contributing to our technique. There is so much that I gain from yoga that I could not gain from strength training alone. I also do strength training and it's an important aspect of my fitness, strength, and body resilience. Yoga helps me with flexibility, the kind of strength and endurance that I need, my balance, my alignment, keeping up with grace and creative sparks. It is also beneficial to teaching me calm and relaxation while moving and doing challenging physical things. It is beneficial to me mentally and emotionally as well. People that say it is easy aren't doing it right, they have no idea (I guess they can stand on one foot, in releve, with their leg lifted up beside their ear and hold that position). And I see people all the time with improper alignment. If they had proper alignment they would quickly see that it is a lot more work than they realize and they would feel it more in all the proper places. Some people do the easier yoga, but that does not mean there is not much further to progress in it. People underestimate what our bodies can actually do. And of course people have different goals and interests, so no it's not for everyone. Obviously beginner yoga for elderly people is not the same as advanced yoga.

Btw, I'm only sharing this because you asked for people to share their good experiences with it being a part of their fitness. That was my impression of what you were asking for the purpose of this thread. There is always a possibility that someday I will stop liking it. It isn't likely at this point, but I never fully rule out any possibility of how some things can change. You just never know.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    :heart: yoga.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    i practice yoga regularly...in fact i am an instructor. i ignore the nay-sayers and keep with my practice solely for my mental and physical health. plus, anyone who says yoga is 'easy' hasn't tried any of my classes. ;-)
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I don't do yoga because I tried it and I came to the realization that no matter how in and cool it is.. I HATE it.... that said. It's not easy, at all. It's really really hard!
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I love yoga :)
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I love yoga and I think yoga bodies are hot :)
  • LakeWhitney
    Options
    I'm passionate about yoga as well - even though I've only been doing it seriously for one year by taking a weekly hatha yoga class. It invigorates me and the warrior poses have helped shape my shoulders and arms.
  • Tina2Cats
    Tina2Cats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I love gentle yoga and do it as a warm up to the 30 day shred. I am doing yoga to work on my balance & strength. I love being able to clear my mind by way of yoga. I also love to do it at the end of the day. My favorite yoga instructor is Peggy Cappy. She teaches gentle yoga that anyone can do (senior citizens, those with disabilities, overweight, etc) Her dvd's can be purchased on amazon.com as well as her website. She has 'Yoga For the Rest of Us' series and I am one of the rest of us. She has modified versions of many of the poses for those who cannot do many of the regular poses.

http://www.peggycappy.net/
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I do yoga once a week as it stretches everything out and relaxes me...it is a great stress reliever for me...I also try and use my foam roller and every few weeks have a proper sports massage if things get really tight (my traps and calves are trouble spots)...
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I love yoga. I try to do it weekly.
    But lifting wieghts vs just doing yoga for strength training is not really a valid comaprison. Complex yoga posistions can be difficult due to much more than lack of strength. range of motion and balance play far more imprtant roles in accomplishing those postures. If you want to get strong, yoga alone is not going to get you that far. While you may feel stronger and progress, if you also did real strength training (either weights or an intense body weight routine) You would QUICKLY notice ease & improvement in the your yoga poses where strength is required.
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I love yoga :)

I do the same 40min practise whenever i have a 'rest' day, its lovely

I am looking forward to the summer when i can do yoga outside in the mornings

P.S

I think some people on here can just be a bit one sided and blinkered with their views

they dont understand that labelling something as 'bad' is really quite de-motivating

its great if someone does yoga, or does running, or does ANYTHING to help themselves and it should be commended.

but no, you HAVE to do weights, or you HAVE to do this or that. when actually we should be crediting people who do anything because the likelihood is that they have not been doing anything before...
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i've never seen a thread bashing yoga.

i lift, run, bike, and swim. i climb, and do calisthenics and gymnastics.

i love yoga for active rest days. it is a very good work out for flexibility and a great stretch.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I do yoga once a week--either power, vinyassa, or Bikram. I lift and run as well, but I agree that some forms of yoga (especially vinyassa and power) are great strength workouts.
  • vaangoin1
    Options
    Vaango presents complete Surya Namaskar moves performed by our own beloved Vaango mascot to make you healthy, fit and fine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlsk0NsecnM
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I do DDP Yoga and it is the greatest thing.