Thinking about getting a personal trainer...HELP

Options
I really know nothing about personal training but I wonder if they make a difference? I am loosing weight on my own and getting fit. What are the benefits of getting one? Do 30 min sessions? or Hour sessions? Do I have them help me work on a better cardio routine?? Help me with strength? Can I see results in one session a week?? HELP I appreciate anyone who can help me. Oh I am NOT new to exercise. I just have 20 more pounds to loose.

I don't want to waste my money.

Replies

• SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    I never used one either. I've lost over 200 pounds on my own. I'm sure someone people live by them. If you're doing well on your own, I suggest you keep going and hang onto your money!
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    Personal trainers are good for proper form and technique. Keep in mind that they are probably well versed on exercise physiology, but not in nutrition. They will no doubt have opinions and anecdotal evidence, but a trained nutritionist would be best for that type of info.
  • kenya84
    Options
    Getting a personal trainer makes ALL of the difference! However, you've got to do your research on the trainer and their type of certification.

For me getting a personal trainer was the BEST fitness move I've ever made. I starting my journey to weight loss last Feb. I joined my local YMCA and I worked out about 3 to 4 days a week 30-40 min. of cardio then I did just about every nautilus machine they had. I was on Medifast so the pounds were coming off, I had more energy, felt great, but my body looked blah! The amount of weight that I lose was not noticeable because my body was not being defined.

So from Feb-May i just did my own works. I started to see a personal trainer in June and she was AMAZING her workouts incorporated everything from cardio, strength trainer, core workouts, balance, I mean everything. I would do squats, lunges, push-ups, torso twist, wall ball sit ups, frog jumps, over head press, just about everything. All of her workouts were different every time. I did not see results in a week , I don't know if seeing results in a week is likely. However, within weeks I noticed muscle definition in my thighs, my arms, and my waist really slimmed down.

I personally believe everybody can benefit from a personal trainer. They keep you motivated, help you with your form, develop a routine for you, and help you work your body in ways you would have never thought of.

Most trainers do sessions by the hour, check with your gym because SOME trainers might offer a free consultation so that you can try it out and see how you like it. I hope this helps and good luck to you!
  • footballmom2000
    footballmom2000 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I never used one before but I just started in December and she is wonderful. I think the key is finding a trainer who really understands your needs and is supportive. I found my trainer at Gold's Gym and she is committed to helping me meet my goal. She takes in consideration my lifestyle as well as my challenges in losing weight.

I have lost weigh and gained it back numerous times over the last 20 yrs, so I wanted to try something different. In December, I followed the exercise routine she gave me and lost 1 1/2 inches off my waist. Now that I am dieting and working with the trainer, the weigh is melting off. I lost 9.4 lbs in two weeks. If you are committed and motivated I would recommend a trainer for 30 minutes a week for the first few weeks and than scale it down to 30 minutes every other week. It was the best money I spent.
  • lbkimball
    Options
    I really like going to my personal trainer. I only go twice a week for 1 hour session. I exercise on my own the rest of the time. However, she is really great for questions and concerns regarding diet and exercise. She is also someone to hold me accountable for my actions. lol! She looks over my food diary and really helps me out. I really want to firm up in certain areas, so she has been an excellent resource for at home exercises and setting goals. I think that it is nice to have someone but I would definitely keep doing what I was doing. Maybe just a trainer a couple of days a week.
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Thanks for you advice!!!!....the nutritionist is a good idea.........he or she would "red mark" all over my diary even tho i'm staying within calorie range lol..............