help/advice

Options
ive been up most the night with a sick child with a nasty cold. im tired, feel like im coming down with it too and all i want are comfort foods - can anyone recommend simple comfort food sustitutes that arent calorie laden? im new to mfp and dont want to fall off the wagon. thx

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    To be honest, if you are not feeling well, do not stress to much about the calories. That being said, chilli is probably a good one (not sure if that is a comfort food though).
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    something with garlic
    or clear beef soup
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Chicken soup. Homemade popcorn. Hot tea.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i second the chicken soup!
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Egg Flower Soup
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    ive been up most the night with a sick child with a nasty cold. im tired, feel like im coming down with it too and all i want are comfort foods - can anyone recommend simple comfort food sustitutes that arent calorie laden? im new to mfp and dont want to fall off the wagon. thx
    Soup.

Vegetarian chili.
  • SanDiegoCasey
    SanDiegoCasey Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'd kill a tub of hummus and celery.. just me I'm weird.
  • Sepa
    Sepa Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it too much but try chicken soup, mug of hot water honey and lemon (splash of whisky or brandy) and maybe try and get a hot bath
  • downtown02
    Options
    chicken broth is amazing for the throat and helps fill you up with minimal calories!
  • vcraver
    Options
    I'd kill a tub of hummus and celery.. just me I'm weird.

I second the hummus, I would agree with the soup, or the chili as well. A good white bean chicken chili!
  • nowornever231073
    Options
    thanks guys. we both just tucked into chicken soup and it was lovely. just what the dr ordered :-)
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options

Homemade chicken soup, if you have the energy to make it. My shortcut is as follows:

Quart of Chicken broth
    1c water
    boneless chicken breast
    2 cloves garlic, chopped/minced
    1/2 onion
    3 celery stalks
    3 carrots
    1/2c rice
    salt & pepper to taste

Cube up the chicken into bite sized pieces and cook in frying pan using a little oil, pam or butter; Or, if you want to take the extra time, you can bake the chicken breasts in the oven, and then cut them up for the soup.

Heat your chicken broth and water, add all other ingredients- cook on medium heat until carrots have cooked through. I add quite a bit of garlic and pepper, and if I have green chiles around, I throw them in too.

Feel better!