Breastfeeding

Options
Do I record breastfeeding as an exercise? I mean I'm burning calories. And based off my goal it calculated 1200 calorie intake but if I am nursing I think I need more than that? Anyone?

Replies

• Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    most of us moms calculate in about 300 extra calories for breastfeeding - try and find our info in recent posts.

TOPIC: Losing Baby Weight
  • 3littlegirls
    Options
    If you are nursing exclusively, then you should be adding approximately 500 calories to your day. As you get less feedings, you can drop it down.. Most recommend eating between 1500-1800calories. Follow your appetite and keep an eye on your supply. And drink lots of water! :)
  • boscopup
    Options
    I haven't officially added it to my MFP, but I do watch the calories and make sure I get at least 1500, as the recommendation seems to be 1500-1800, depending on how much fat stores you have. I have enough fat stores that I figure I can get away with 1500. :P My MFP goal calories is 1730, and I try to eat my exercise calories. My baby is 9 months old, 20 lbs, and hardly eating any solids. Very good for weight loss! I'm going to miss those extra 300-500 calories when he gets older. LOL.

In your case, since MFP has you doing 1200 calories, I'd probably add it in as an exercise. 1200 is awfully low for a nursing mama.
  • thisemmabites
    Options
    I do add about 191 calories for breastfeeding. If you are exclusive as said above count 500 and drink a ton of water. I adjust every so often if I notice my milk is low. You're baby will let you know about that too. You'll find what works for you as you go along.
  • shaggys
    shaggys Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I added it in under cardio,you can do a search,like you are looking for a specific food...I put in 450,I'm afraid if I put any lower than that I will not get enough nutrition.I still lose weight every week,and baby is EBF:smile:
    Good luck!
  • kellejean
    Options
    Yes I do nurse full time but she is now 8 1/2 months so eating table food now so only eating 4 to 6 times a day so only added like 350 calories or so..but thanks that helps! ;o)
  • kellejean
    Options
    So my program will still work out okay if im eating over what my goal is for the purpose of nursing? Sorry this is my first day at this! ha!
  • angiegirl01
    Options
    I would just like to say Hello my best friend and I just joined this site tonight.
  • kellejean
    Options
    Oh and when it says you have 500 extra calories, what the heck does that mean, am i supposed to log it a certain way or is it just letting me know that?
  • shaggys
    shaggys Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Should work just fine,I try to eat my exercise calories and the extra 450,and I still lost 10 pounds last month.
    Don't stress,it will all work out:flowerforyou:
  • kellejean
    Options
    I was one of those people that nursed and didnt lose any weight at all, but then i found out i had a thyroid issue, fixed that, and then lost like 10lbs right away, but still i lose 5lbs and then i stay at that for like a month.. i try but my weight seems to stay at one spot.. im sure ill get there but frustrating. Thanks for all the feedback!