I can't run without dying - please help!

Options
2»

Replies

• Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Not a beginner any more, but I remember those days quite well.

1) Walking is very good. The difference in calorie burn between running and walking over the same distance is not that big, and a good vigerous walk will do wonders for you.

2) Running takes time, and the best way to develop as a runner is to go so slow that it is easy, and/or take walk breaks very gradually increaseing the running time in between. This may mean more walking than running at first. Check out the C25K program as a way to get started.

^^^ This
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Anything you do that is more activity than you used to engage in will be beneficial and burn calories. It's really that simple.

If you can't run for long periods of time, then just do intervals. Run for 1 minute, walk 30 seconds and repeat. Adjust the intervals as you feel comfortable, but each week you should be looking to increase the amount of running and decrease the amount of walking.

I'm a huge proponent of cycling, too. It's a great way to cover distance and still burn a good number of calories.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Get your endurance up by walking, which as others have stated, is good for you. Then try to walk a few minutes, run a minute. That might be the best way to up your endurance. However, if you're having problems with your legs, walking may just be the best thing for you.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You can certainly lose weight by just walking and if that's what you feel most comfortable doing, then by all means, walk! It's how I started out.

If you do decide to eventually giving running a try, I'll add another vote in for C25K with the caveat that you can take it at your own pace. I was pretty out of shape when I decided to start running in April of 2011. I ended up making up my own "Week 0" for C25K where I ran for 30 seconds and walked for 2 minutes the whole time. I then slowly started building my way up and at around Week 4 decided that I really wanted to just run intervals rather than running for the whole distance. I've since completed 4 half marathons running for 3 minutes and walking for 1 minute. I have another in January and my goal for that one is to go at a 4:1 interval.

As for your breathing issues, you are quite probably running too fast. Most people who start running on their own do. :smile: If you do decide to go ahead and do C25K, you'll notice that in the instructions is that you should be running at a slow enough pace that you can carry on a conversation while you run. For most people just starting out that is probably in the 4.0 - 4.5 MPH range. You shouldn't be running all out you should be at a very slow jog. It's sloooow but it's supposed to be. You'll build up speed eventually but the first task is to build up your cardio endurance.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!
  • kmorganlfc
    kmorganlfc Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Walking WILL help you get fitter. It WILL burn calories, and it WILL provide you with a good foundation to build upon with other types of exercise later. Whoever told you differently is an idiot.
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I see alot of replies for C25K and I never had C25k when I started. I was taught technique and rhythm because I was terrible when I started with breathing problems and my legs dying out.
    I see you are concentrated on your bad breathing. Try focusing a bit on a rhythmic breathing pattern. Like you breath in for 2 strides and breath out for 2 strides, or in 3 strides out 3 strides.
    Another is to do interval running/walking. You can run for 30 sec and walk for 1 min, following week run for 1 min and walk for 1 min, run for 90 sec and walk 90sec, run for 2 min walk for 1 min, ect. (I think C25K does this idr).
    Another way if you really want to start running is to just build on it, even if you can only do a quarter mile before stopping who cares you did it. The following week add another quarter mile and make yourself do it (it's all mental), you will feel pretty awesome :)
    Also if you are starting out running fast (you might not know you are) try starting out slow, because I know swimming can be pretty breath zapping.

As for tight muscle legs...are you stretching at all? Try light stretching adn if you can invest in a foam roller or the Stick it helps a lot. Also heating up a heating pad or microwaving a wet dish towel in the microwave for 15 seconds and putting that over tight muscles before working out can help alleviate some tightness.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Until you get the iron deficiency problem fixed you are never going to feel good doing any endurance exercise.
  • jeepyj93
    jeepyj93 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I started out my exercise routine with Nordic Pole walking which helps burn 30% more calories than just walking. I had several of my WW members use it as their exercise and they all loved it but the secret is to get out and walk get the heart rate up and get the blood pumping.
    I then moved on to running we did 30 second slow jog with 2 minute walk and repeated that for 1 kilometres . We gradually worked our way up. Within a year I was running 10 kilometre races so it can be done and I was 57 when I started.