Ground Venison

Options
Just looking for some helpfil suggestions on cheap, healthy recipes to go with ground venison.

Replies

• youngs
    youngs Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Make it into chili..:wink:
  • CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    Options
    Burgers (mix with egg whites), spaghetti, pretty much anything you would make out of ground beef. But so much better!
  • MSPENCE
    Options
    I agree with CharityD. Whatever you make with ground beef. Meatballs, meatloaf, stuffed peppers. Enjoy!
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I use it in place of ground beef - I use a little olive oil to help it brown!

Fast cheap favorite recipe for lazy nights-

1 can chopped tomatoes
    1 cup elbow pasta
    1 medium onion chopped
    1 tsp pepper flakes
    1 clove crushed garlic (optional)
    salt and pepper to taste

Chop and sautee onion in a little olive oil until soft - add ground venison and cook till browned (add a little olive oil if it starts to stick. Meanwhile cook pasta in salted water per package directions. When the venison is cooked through stir in tomatoes and juice, add garlic and pepper flakes and bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, stiring occationally until liquid is reduced. Drain pasta and mix with venison mixture.

You can add chopped bell peppers if you like - easy and cheap - it's a regular meal in our house!
  • melissaovadare
    melissaovadare Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Soooo, I am a chicken breast, ground turkey type girl. I tend not to eat meat out of my "circle of trust" lol....

Is deer meat really good? Is it like beef, or chicken???

My husband LOVES it, but has not eaten it in 7 years cause I won't allow it in my house!

I trust judgement from you guys! Should I give it a whirl?
  • baseballrocks_5
    Options
    I make alot of chili, spaghetti, and burgers with it but was looking to try something new. MSTAHL your reciepe sounds really good and I am looking forward to trying it out.

melissaovadare- I recommend trying dear meat, it's very similar to ground beef. Only difference is that I notice is it's a little drier. It is also very lean compared to beef which is why I eat it so much.
  • melissaovadare
    melissaovadare Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I make alot of chili, spaghetti, and burgers with it but was looking to try something new. MSTAHL your reciepe sounds really good and I am looking forward to trying it out.

melissaovadare- I recommend trying dear meat, it's very similar to ground beef. Only difference is that I notice is it's a little drier. It is also very lean compared to beef which is why I eat it so much.

Oh, ok! Thanks, well.....my husband thanks you, now that I may try it!
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    My dad had four daughters, no sons. The family farm is in central Ohio and we always would get the first day of deer season off of school IF we hunted. Thus all four of us went deer hunting for at least a few seasons. My youngest sister and I still hunt- we view the deer as our "free range, organic, grass finished beef". Of course the meat isn't perfectly organic as we have no control over where they eat but since our area of the county is pretty lightly farmed right now, it's unlikely they are getting into much chemicals.

I get a deer almost every year. I am a big baby and I cry when I kill one. I even try to shoot a buck because the females tend to stay in family groups and I hate the thought of one being missed. I cry when I field dress them and I dream about it and cry for a week or so afterwards - but the meat is excellent! It's super lean, I use olive oil when I cook it and it's super versitile.

My husband won't hunt but he loves to eat venison. I use the stew meat to make stews and dishes where you might use lamb - the grain is finer than beef, but the taste is similar to beef. Because it's so lean you want to be careful about over cooking because it's tough if you do that.

Try it - you'll love it. Healthiest red meat a person can eat.

Good luck!