Checking OUT of Facebook to focus on self?

Options
13»

Replies

• BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I deleted mine. Great decision. Helped me focus on what really matters in life ♥
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Facebook isn't my issue. I don't care who looks like what... I need to check out of WoW... but I can't manage to break away.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I abandoned my facebook years ago. Too much drama and way too much stupidity. Plus, the violations of personal rights and privacy didn't help either.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Facebook kind of makes me feel like crap. But I hardly check into it anymore, since joining MFP (which makes me feel waaaaay better about myself)
  • MissCarter79
    MissCarter79 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Have any of you ever tried checking out from Facebook for a while to focus on yourself? Does it help your self image? I feel like often I get wrapped up in looking at all the "perfect" pictures of friends from college or high school, even though I rationally know that not everyone can that amount of perfect pictures all the time, and end up feeling a bit down about myself. Does checking out for a while help?

I say YES!! I quit for two weeks back in February to see how that would feel. Then deactivated it altogether about a month later. I haven't regretted it for a second! I was obsessed with checking it on my phone, computer, etc, but found that it didn't actually 'reconnect' me to anyone from my past. And it was hard not to compare myself to others. I have done some amazing things in my life since leaving; I think leaving might have been part of it.

I haven't deactivated, but sometimes I think I need to. I check it constantly and compare myself not only from a physical standpoint, but from a financial and moral standpoint as well. I always compare myself to everyone on there.
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    Options
    <<<<<<<<<<<4 months strong breaker over here.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Facebook is FAKE, trust me everyone's pictures are fake, they post the best ones to impress people and most of them don't look like that or are hiding something.

I was on there once in 2009 for a couple of months but realized what a time waster it was and have been so much happier and productive since cancelling my account. If a person exercised instead of the time they wasted on Facebook (26 minutes per day on average according to a study done) there is the 30 minutes per day that is recommended.
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Well MFP seems to be my new FB. lol
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I very seldom visit Facebook. MFP has become my social network. But, I did notice that the people I had as friends, that went to school with me, had not changed. I still feel that I am not included.

I could have written the exact same thing.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    Every once in a while i take a vacation from FB. Since i started on MFP i dont have as much time to spend on there as i used to and honestly i really dont miss it that much.
  • kathheen
    kathheen Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Yes definately i stopped going on for around 8 months and really didnt miss it we call it 'fakebook'
    Now i barely use it, it was unreal 8 months later same updates same moans - not healthy how addictive it can be and how many people live their lives through it
  • drgmac
    drgmac Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I havent had a Facebook account for over two years. Yes, I am happier here because this has a focus. I know enough people who DO have a Facebook account that if I am curious or wanting to get in touch with someone, I can make some type of connection. I am l almost 46 years old and this site offers motivation, support, fun, and with a purpose. Good Luck!
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I am finding it makes me feel lonely.

I am a very social person and connect with "friends" all over the world. Most of us are mainly connecting through similar cultural interests even if we disagree about the issues.

But I find that looking compulsively for reactions to my posts is becoming something pavlovian - I am always waiting for the next "treat." I think it disguises the fact that there are very few people in my molecular life who care enough to keep in touch. With my recent injury, I was shocked at the lack of initiative among my friends and family to check in with me to see how I am doing: out of sight, out of mind. It has been a HUGE wake-up call. And the only antidote is to NOT be like any of those people and to remove my expectations of them by distancing myself from them. this is as true of "real life" as it is of Facebook. So.... Am not going to take a complete break but I am definitely going to cut down. Thanks for posting a great topic!