calorie count for exercise which it accurate?

Options
Ok so.. on my machine (bile, eliptical, etc..) it not as many calories as it says on here.. What do I do? Which do I go by?

Replies

• haileyco
    Options
    I would go with the machine if you entered your weight....that's what I do.
  • gnme4243
    gnme4243 Posts: 120
    Options
    Do your machines take into account your current weight? MFP bases the amount of calories you burn on your weight, so the more you weigh the more calories you burn doing an exercise, typically. If you are getting two different totals, my guess is your machines just give an average calorie burn for a set weight- I think it's usually based on around 160 pounds. :smile:
  • jana1124
    jana1124 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It is based on weight...

I burned like 500 according to machines but on here its like 1000..
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I generally go with what MFP says, and it's worked for me. There are times when I'm sure I didn't burn as many calories as MFP says, so I play around with the time until it feels right.
  • jana1124
    jana1124 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    So am I supposed to eat the extra 500 MFP says?!

Im not wanting to
  • CinthyNair
    Options
    I follow my machine. I key in my gender, age, height and weight. The calories I burn based on the machine does not match in MFP, but I use the machine as the guide. After all, as you loose the weight, the calories burnt should also change, if everything else is status quo. Makes sense to me.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    So am I supposed to eat the extra 500 MFP says?!

Im not wanting to

I think, since one is so much higher, go with the lower. My fear is overestimating, not underestimating. :)
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Use the machine's count. Each brand of machine is different and the amount of resistance at each level isn''t standardized.

The MFP count is a best guestimate since MFP has no idea which specific machine you're using.
  • SherryLynn82
    SherryLynn82 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm having this problem too. My elliptical is a cheapie one though, so it doesn't take my weight into account. I'm doing a pretty intense program on it though, so even without the weight (and I'm way over average!) the machine gives me a higher count than MFP. I"m not sure how many calories I'm burning at all! It seems like the machine doesn't take my weight into account, and MFP doesn't take the intensity of the program into account, so I'm left making educated guesses!
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    go with the lowest. Also make your best judgement. How hard was your push. How long were you on etc etc.. 500 calories would be the equilvalent of running 5 miles in 50 mins (estimated). I dont eat ALL of workout calories if I can help it. I do eat some though especially on hard days
  • bjs06
    bjs06 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Do your machines take into account your current weight? MFP bases the amount of calories you burn on your weight, so the more you weigh the more calories you burn doing an exercise, typically. If you are getting two different totals, my guess is your machines just give an average calorie burn for a set weight- I think it's usually based on around 160 pounds. :smile:

Are the machines really based on 160 lbs? Wow. I am much more than that so I guess it's probably a good idea that I go by MFP standards for the machines where I don't enter my weight, which is all but one - the stair master. I wish all machines took into account your weight! That was shocking to read.. but I guess that's more of an average weight, especially for people who are in shape and working out to keep in shape.