Insanity... thoughts and input wanted! :)

Options

Replies

• mdizzle99
    mdizzle99 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    My wife and I did Insanity together after we finished P90X. For me, Insanity was harder than P90X. A lot of the workout reminded me of sports drills I used to do all the time when I was younger - I loved it. It was definitely the hardest workout program I've ever committed to. By the end of day 2 I was throwing up in the back yard. It was amazing, however, to see how much improvement there was over the two months. My results from the fit test on day one were nothing compared to what I could do at the end.

Overall we loved the program and will definitely do it again. There's some great advice in this thread and I echo what has already been said. Pace yourself and just keep at it.

Favorite Shaun T quotes from Insanity:

"That sh*! is bananas, yo!"

"You can frickin do it!!"

And the banner hanging in the back of the gym, "Get fit or get out."
  • nklunk
    nklunk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I've done 3 full rounds and love it!! It's hard...not going to lie. I got great results the first time and then my eating was not the best during the 2nd and 3rd round so I maintained my weight. I lost more inches then lbs. Good luck!!
  • bowser625
    bowser625 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it's been posted already, but you can see some of the full workouts on Youtube. They look intense...
  • MrsBrosco
    Options
    bump
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I'm almost done with the workouts. It's taking me longer to do it since I'm only doing 3-4 days a week. I'm not going to lie. It is a hard workout and sometimes I want to cry cuz I get tired so fast. But I've gone from 129.8 to 111 since starting it in August. I've also lost 4 inches in my chest and 3 inches in my waist and hips. I'm also starting to see some toning in my arms. You will have to pause the DVD quite a bit to catch breath, but as long as you stick with it and keep pushing yourself it can happen. Good luck! Oh yeah and you shouldn't do this workout if you have bad knees.
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Now I know its just DVDs. So would having a gym membership be kind of a waste?

I'm getting quicker results off Insanity and Jillian Michael's than I ever did at the gym.
  • Colombianchick29
    Colombianchick29 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I am on week 3 of insanity. I prefer it for the following reasons:

1.- dont have to leave my house to work out
    2- can do it whenever and as late as I want
    3- if i go to the gym, i will only really use the walking machines
    and no idea what else to do
    4-insanity has warm up's and stretches
    5- you can pause the video if you need a break
    and go at your own speed

I dont follow the meal plan it comes with
    but I do watch waht I eat

i have lost 6 pounds so far and I can see from week to week the stamina increase
  • Justadream235
    Options
    Currently done 1st week of insanity, I started it a while back but only finished the first month so this time goin for the 60 days. Two weeks before I started I did an insanity workout every other day just to get back into it as I wasn't really exersizing before, so I would definatley prepare for it, can't go from couch to insanity, makes it a bit easier to handle. Honestly tho the first month each workout is under 40m its so doable, 10mins of that is stretching. So really only 30 min intensity. Beats doing 1.5h of random workout at the gym. Its already been thought out. Gives great results! I def recommend it. I dont think 6x a week is alot, tho i suggest working out in the morning u tend to have more energy off coarse depending on your schedule. Anyway good luck!
  • chrissyw63
    chrissyw63 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I looooooove it. I def had to modify a bit in the beginning and take breaks! But it made quite the difference. I agree with the poster who said buy a HRM. Only bummer I had was losing motivation and being at home ... easy to slack off. So I joined a kickboxing gym and did that WHILE doing Insanity.

If you choose to do it, good luck! It's awesome and worth it, but a challenge. You'll be proud of yourself for doing it :) check amazon or something to see if you can find it cheaper too!
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Its over rated but the drugs are good!!! Jack Nicholson did it very well in one flew over the cuckoos nest but nobody topped Brad Pitt in 12 monkeys... just sayin....
  • bbgughj
    bbgughj Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    For those who have done Insanity, what areas do you recommend a couch potatoe to work on before taking on Insanity?

Your Core , Legs , commitment
    I went from couch to Insanity, Currently on Month 2 day 47 . You can do it !

For those of you wondering what the schedule is like you can check out the PDF file Calender , you can also see video of some of the work outs by googling thee name of the work outs ...

http://cdn.trek2befit.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Insanity-Schedule.pdf
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I love allllll this input!
  • MrsBHobbs
    Options
    Just ordered INSANITY eeeeeks! Can't wait to get started.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    For those who have done Insanity, what areas do you recommend a couch potatoe to work on before taking on Insanity?

Your Core , Legs , commitment
    I went from couch to Insanity, Currently on Month 2 day 47 . You can do it !

For those of you wondering what the schedule is like you can check out the PDF file Calender , you can also see video of some of the work outs by googling thee name of the work outs ...

http://cdn.trek2befit.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Insanity-Schedule.pdf

Also your shoulders/arms. There are a lot of pushups (crazy ones too) and burpees.

I agree with the poster who said to alter the schedule. While I was able to do it in 65 days (sickness and travel sidelined me for a couple of days), and felt good about it, I was so burned out in the end that it just wasn't sustainable. If, after doing it for a while, you find that you want to work up to the 6-day workout schedule, then do it. But don't feel like you're failing the program if you don't.

You will sweat buckets and buckets!
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I've done it and I've also done Insanity Asylum. Its a very intense cardio workout but also works your arms, hip flexers, back and chest. Its hard but id commited you can do it. If you purchase through BB they will assign a coach to you. Use them for motivation and questions. A good coach will help you through it.
    I motivate and keep a lot of people pushing play. It helps you reach your goals. Good luck send me a note for more info.
  • Pnknlvr96
    Pnknlvr96 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I just started my third round and I absolutely LOVE Insanity.

1. Pace yourself and modify the moves. I still can't keep up with the people on the DVD (I'm still 20+ lbs. overweight), but I do what I can. If a certain move is 30 seconds and I can only go for 20 seconds, then I catch my breath for those last 10 seconds and then move on to the next move.

2. No weights involved, but there are plenty of strength moves. There are tons of pushups and honestly my biceps have never looked better. The same goes with squats and lunges. And yes, if you have bad knees, you will need to modify.

3. It has a 30-day money back guarantee, so if you hate it at least you can return it.

4. It comes with a nutrition guide, and while I don't follow it, I do try to eat healthy and look at food as fuel. There is no way I could eat pizza or fried chicken and then have the ability to do these workouts. My results are definitely better if I'm eating well.

5. I know it sounds weird, but it's actually fun. Shaun T. is very motivating and also entertaining. Some of the things he says are very funny. And the women in the videos aren't stick figures - they're strong and muscular and it's motivating to look at them and go, "That's what I want to achieve." And when you finish the video and are on the floor, gasping for air and doused in sweat, it feels so good!

Good luck! If you decide to buy it and want to friend me for support, please do!
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I did it for 60 days with no weight loss. Maybe I should have eaten less, but I averaged 2000 or under. It's extreme and reminded me a lot of gym class. Shaun T is great, and the people on the discs are inspirational and real, but I did not look forward to doing it every day, and I had horrible shin splints and lower back pain from it. I did gain some muscle in my legs and arms, but not enough that anyone else noticed. I also have dabbled in P90X and I would recommend that over Insanity. But Poling is my passion; I look forward to it, it's challenging and rewarding, and it makes me feel great! Find something you love and that you don't dread doing, and you'll have much better results both physically and mentally. :flowerforyou:
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I am just on my last week of Insanity. It was a good program but I did miss weights and the results I got from it. I first did Jillian Michaels Body Revolution and LOVED IT, I will be repeating it come jan. But No way could I have done Insanity if I hadn't done Jillian first since her Cardio was a good set up for it. Insanity is INTENSE but its a great cardio workout. I only lost about 5 pounds in the two months but I am also only 10 pounds from my goal so things have slowed and my eating has sucked with the Holidays. BUT it kept me from gaining the week of Thanksgiving and I ate A LOT haha. Its a great cardio workout but I think a well wounded workout includes weights, I felt like I leaned out but my fat was flabby, I wanted to get toned and I think lifting helps that.
    Good luck and feel free to add me :)
  • diamondfit1
    diamondfit1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have one more workout to do before I finish the first week of insanity. Im fairly fit but this has shown me my endurance sure has a long way to go. Im just going to keep pushing myself and see what happens.
  • kddruckenmiller
    kddruckenmiller Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You definitely have to be committed. I made it through the first week about a month ago and gave up because I just wasn't ready for such a hardcore workout 6 days a week. I'm now on day 3 (again) and don't plan on giving up this time because I have the right state of mind.

I completed Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred before attempting Insanity and honestly, I think that's the only reason I'm able to do this workout. Like someone else said, you shouldn't go to it straight from the couch. It's doable but you're more likely to give up or injure yourself.

Good luck! And I'm always looking for friends who are also doing Insanity! :)