question for us old fogies

Options
Georg
Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
Whatever happened to the old exercises like the fire hydrant & sit ups & stuff like that?
Is there something wrong with doing those old style exercises?
You never hear about them very often any more.

Replies

• lreed
    lreed Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    not sure about fire hydrants, but I do sit ups in boot camp every morning!:wink:
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    Nothing wrong with old school. Those hydrants are killers!!! :tongue:
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I don't know hydrants either, but I do the 200 sit ups challenge and that's 3 days a week!
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I do sit-ups, squats and push-ups. What are hydrants?:huh:
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with traditional strengthening exercises (only make sure to protect your back while doing them), but to lose weight we need to be doing exercise that gets our heart rates up.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with traditional strengthening exercises (only make sure to protect your back while doing them), but to lose weight we need to be doing exercise that gets our heart rates up.

You don't need your heart rate up to lose weight. Strength training DEFINITELY has it's place in weight loss.
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Remember deep knee bends?
    Now they're slightly modified & called squats!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    well, t as to sit ups, not really a great exercise for you orthopedically
    , you have to be careful with your back, and have strong lower back and core muscles to do them properly. There are other ways to strengthen your abs that pose less danger to your back.

fire hydrant is also called a side leg raise, and is still used in many pilates moves, it's an ok move, but again, there are other, more targeted exercises that work better.

As to deep knee bends, again, another orthopedic no no. Bending your knees for multiple repetitions past 90 degrees is bad on the knee cartilage over the long term, it's also not really good for the ligaments either. You'll notice that most trainers, when demonstrating squats, do not bend past a 90 degree angle.