What to do once people start noticing?

Options
I'm starting at 260. Now I'm down to around 230 (not doing a check-in until I have access to a scale), and it's starting to be a bit noticeable, I guess. The other day my roommate commented that she could tell I was losing weight, but it's because she hugged me.

Today, the receptionist said, "you're looking so small these days!" I don't know if it's because I'm actually visibly losing, or because she's also in charge of the kitchen and sees the healthy lunches I bring every day, and assumes I'm trying to lose weight, and wants to encourage me. I said, "that's the goal, I suppose."

The exchange has made me realize that, once it becomes more visible (I'm about 6', so my goal is around 180, and then from there I'm going to decide what to do), and people comment, I have NO IDEA what I'm going to say. This has been a very personal change for me; while I would appreciate respect for my "accomplishment," I don't want "she lost a bunch of weight" to be my defining characteristic.

What do you all say when people comment on your weight loss?

Replies

• seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smile:
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I suspect it's more that they are so happy for you. People tend to blurt things out and if they see you getting skinnier they just are happy because they know how bad the weight is for us. I've started to go back and look at my videos and pictures from the past and it's startling to see how even 30 pounds is a substantial amount of weight. I'd say take it as a compliment and maybe that they are just trying to encourage you as they are happy for you. They know that deep down we're great people - in fact - once you keep it off - they may even forget about the extra weight entirely. It'll become part of history.
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I usually say thanks.

The real change is "what to do once people start *really* noticing". When I was pushing 280 I never even got looked at. Now at 185 I get hit on probably once a day.

...ugh, I realize that might sound like bragging and I do not mean it that way. I certainly appreciate the attention of random folks, and it is a great confidence booster and motivator, and that's all.
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    try this:

"Nope. I'm not losing any weight. Maybe you're just getting bigger."
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Just say thank you, its simple but effective. Btw, Logan Square rocks!! I live on the Bucktown/Logan Square border.
  • deeray
    deeray Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I usually say thanks.

The real change is "what to do once people start *really* noticing". When I was pushing 280 I never even got looked at. Now at 185 I get hit on probably once a day.

...ugh, I realize that might sound like bragging and I do not mean it that way. I certainly appreciate the attention of random folks, and it is a great confidence booster and motivator, and that's all.

I'd hit on you too. Just sayin...:wink:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Smile and say thanks... its really not a big deal....
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    try this:

"Nope. I'm not losing any weight. Maybe you're just getting bigger."

Ha!! I wish I could say this at work. Sigh.

I just say thank you, and sometimes I actually smile when I say it.
  • iampaulinegiles
    Options
    THANK YOU & I FEEL FABULOUS :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It's so easy to be crazy in our own heads with doubts and fears and justifications and all of that... Someone says "you're getting so small!" and you think "hardly, I've still got plenty of weight to lose!" (this is not directly at you OP, I"m just recalling my own thought process starting out at 260 pounds) and you may be tempted to say something like that....but don't.

All they want is for you to know they're noticing and that they're happy for you. A very simple smile and "thanks!" or even "thanks for noticing!" is all you need to say.

Trust me, I know it's not always easy. I try really hard to just say thanks but as recently as last week I got caught up in my own negative crap and said some thing like "oh, it's just cuz I'm wearing black" when someone complimented me on how slim I've become.

So few people (women especially - we do tend to be catty) give compliments these days so it's so much better to be gratious and keep the negativity to yourself.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I smile and say "Thank you"... that's all it takes.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    say thank, smile and enjoy that your hardwork is paying off.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I don't know why, I find this really awkward as well. I'm on the thinner side of healthy. I deny any intention to lose weight and insist that I have either been sick or that I've been running a lot more lately. Does anyone else do that?
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I just say thank you and keep it moving!
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Just say "Thank you". It takes your mind a little to get used to the compliments. A simple thank you is fine. :smile:
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I go through this a lot. And I stumble and have a difficult time coming up with stuff to say back.
  • canadiandee
    canadiandee Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    People have just started noticing and commenting on my weight loss, earlier in this process than I would've thought. I think it beats the heck out of no one noticing. :-) I just smile and say thank you.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Say thank you.
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I was used to not getting noticed so when attention on me shifted and people started noticing I had to learn to accept the comments with a thank you. When people asked how I lost weight that was more difficult. How do you sum up everything you did to get the results you want? I finally settled on the patented answer, "Oh, no special secret. I move more, eat less and make better eating choices." That seemed to satisfy people.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to accept a compliment. Seems your the same. Your just gonna have to learn to smile and say thank you. Eventually it becomes easier and you mean it! Yes 30lbs is noticeable and you deserve the compliments! X
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!