Pre-Diabetes... come together :)

Options
So I have YET to come across someone on MFP who is pre-diabetic. No one close to me has it either, so I've been doing all my own research and a "try it and see what happens" kind of thing. Anyone out there who needs support... HERE IT IS! :) Being pre-diabetic SUCKS and it stinks doing it alone. So here we are! :) Anyone else out there too?

Replies

• wolfmanshere
    Options
    I was pre diabetic had to take metformin daily. I lost some weight and my Dr. took me off of it.
  • iamkarent
    iamkarent Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Isn't insulin resistance the same as pre-diabetic? If so...then there are many of us on here.....
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    This is me. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Also, you can add me one here if you would like to :)
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    add me I have it too.
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I have been having some odd blood work results coming back. My albumin levels are out of whack. Still doing some research and trying to learn more. Dr said this might be a sign of pre-diabetes! Not happy about that at all. Really watching my carb levels and I think that is helping a lot!

Add me!
  • katekross
    Options
    Generally, having pre-diabetes means your blood glucose levels are higher than normal. Insulin resistance and pre-diabetes are similar, categorized together. IR is that your body does not use the insulin properly and pre-diabetes does not respond normally to insulin. Very similar. :)
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • jebo1982
    jebo1982 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm prediabetic! My fasting blood glucose was 106. It may have been a blessing in disguise though. It gave me the push i needed to get back on the ball. I've been slacking on losing weight and eating right.

My dr just wants me to lose weight and watch what i eat . Hopefully it will come down. I am also have prehypertension and i hope that comes down too.

I'll send you an add request (anyone else can add me if they want)
  • deboreil
    Options
    I am also prediabetic. To me what sucks the most is learning I have it right before Christmas. I have found some good recipes and have lost ten pounds, Yes, I feel lonely and angry. I know the angry will pass but only if we can find more people like us will be able to not feel alone.
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I'm full-blown diabetic...Type 2... but I have managed to drop enough weight to be taken off my insulin...just a little more and I'll be off all my diabetes meds all together...
  • katekross
    Options
    I'm full-blown diabetic...Type 2... but I have managed to drop enough weight to be taken off my insulin...just a little more and I'll be off all my diabetes meds all together...

Good news to hear :) Keep it UP!
  • NlKKA
    NlKKA Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Hi I just recently found out last month that I'm pre-diabetic and I was so shocked. My Dr will re-test me again in March 2013 and make another assessment. For the time being she recommended that I focus on losing weight and to eat better. I was already having a hard time losing weight since my second child in March 2012 but this just definitely gave me a boost to push harder. So in regards to losing weight my Dr recommended I do the South Beach Diet which ultimately turns into a lifestyle once you reach Phase 3. I'm in Phase 1 Week 2 and it is going awesome....I'm losing weight and have extra energy. In the last 2 in a half weeks since I got the news from my Dr. I've lost 10.8 lbs.

I would love to add you as my pal and definitely share information back and forth because this is a learning process and all I can think of is I actually have a chance to change my life around and maintain a healthier lifestyle.
  • OhLibra
    OhLibra Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm IR. Feel free to add me. I'm always looking for new friends.
  • katekross
    Options
    Hi I just recently found out last month that I'm pre-diabetic and I was so shocked. My Dr will re-test me again in March 2013 and make another assessment. For the time being she recommended that I focus on losing weight and to eat better. I was already having a hard time losing weight since my second child in March 2012 but this just definitely gave me a boost to push harder. So in regards to losing weight my Dr recommended I do the South Beach Diet which ultimately turns into a lifestyle once you reach Phase 3. I'm in Phase 1 Week 2 and it is going awesome....I'm losing weight and have extra energy. In the last 2 in a half weeks since I got the news from my Dr. I've lost 10.8 lbs.

I would love to add you as my pal and definitely share information back and forth because this is a learning process and all I can think of is I actually have a chance to change my life around and maintain a healthier lifestyle.
    Got your message and request :) love the extra support!
  • katekross
    Options
    I'm prediabetic! My fasting blood glucose was 106. It may have been a blessing in disguise though. It gave me the push i needed to get back on the ball. I've been slacking on losing weight and eating right.

My dr just wants me to lose weight and watch what i eat . Hopefully it will come down. I am also have prehypertension and i hope that comes down too.

I'll send you an add request (anyone else can add me if they want)

I understand what you mean it being a blessing in disguise :)
  • katekross
    Options
    I know for me, this group is very encouraging for me :)
  • Fernella13
    Fernella13 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! That just happened to me. I just came home from my MD. I've been diagnosed as pre-diabetic and will be tested in 2013 to see if there are any changes. I need to lose the weight now. Help!!!
  • katekross
    Options
    OMG!!! That just happened to me. I just came home from my MD. I've been diagnosed as pre-diabetic and will be tested in 2013 to see if there are any changes. I need to lose the weight now. Help!!!

Feel free to add me.. I'm losing weight to get rid of pre-diabetes too!! :) Only YOU can choose to get rid of it. Have an awesome day!!
  • BeautifulBrownBbyDoll
    Options
    Hi!! I am a pre-diabetic! I'm open to having new friends!!!. :wink: