Getting discouraged :-(

Options
I have been on this health kick since January 1st, me and hubby supporting each other in healthy eating and weight loss. We both run everyday, stick to the diet (a couple of meals out, but not OTT) anyway, hubby has lost nearly two stone, I have lost 10 lbs in the first month, but thats it, I just can't get under 11 stone now! I have upped my running, pushing myself etc, still no blooming weight loss. Saying that I am feeling much healthier, but hubby gets all of the WOW you look great comments and I get none :-( boohoo!!! Sorry about the moan, thank you for listening ;-) just feeling sorry for myself!!!!

Replies

• jaycee76
    jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    As a friend I know that you are quite often under your calories. I also know you do alot of exercise. I think you need to eat more! I have changed my own goals to 1350 but I still want to increase it more. You run around after 3 children so you will burn alot of calories anyway. Have you checked your BMR (do it on a few sites to get an average) ? I think you are so active you need to not go below your BMR and eat all your exercise calories.
    Hope it helps xx
  • jaycee76
    jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    As a friend I know that you are quite often under your calories. I also know you do alot of exercise. I think you need to eat more! I have changed my own goals to 1350 but I still want to increase it more. You run around after 3 children so you will burn alot of calories anyway. Have you checked your BMR (do it on a few sites to get an average) ? I think you are so active you need to not go below your BMR and eat all your exercise calories.
    Hope it helps xx

I mean 4 children sorry!
  • DaveyGravy
    DaveyGravy Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    It is a known fact that guys lose weight faster - especially if they are bigger, as well. Don't let that discourage you though, 10lbs in a month is still very good and seems very steady - 2.5lb per week is a nice pace to lose weight at! Eventually I am sure you will get all of of the comments from people about your progress too, just keep at it! :-)
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. It sounds like you're NOT eating ENOUGH with all the exercise you do. AND, men DO lose faster than women. Soooo, my advice is to keep plugging away, with MORE calories, and you WILL eventually get to your goal. :wink: :smile: Remember, slow and steady wins the race! :bigsmile:
  • jenlhugg
    jenlhugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I agree with the not eating enough theory. I started trying to get closer my calorie goal this past week, trying to eat just a little more calories, and I have started losing again. I say just give it a try. Drink a protein shake or something, add another 300 cal to the diet and see what happens.
  • tansyf
    tansyf Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of your support guys (love this site!!!!) x I actually really struggle to use up all of my calories everyday, for example, today I have played badminton and ran 5k, had a good breakfast and a really good lunch, I still have 1200+ calories to use, but I will certainly give it a try :-) I suppose it just seems natural to cut back a lot on food when you are trying to lose weight :-/ xxxxx
  • hmr1117
    Options
    unfortunatly men do lose weight much faster then women! its a sad fact! but aside from that I saw a few previous comments to eat a little more since you may be eating too little for all the exersize...and I have found that, that is totally true! and if you run EVERY DAY and have for this whole month...try taking a day to stay within your standard calorie goal and dont exersize and you might see a difference too...sometimes you have to change it up a little for your body to respond... also try measuring yourself too...especially if you are working out pretty heavy and doing a lot of cardio you may find you are not losing lbs but inches..:) Hang in there and dont lose hope...weight loss is a long journey but in the end you will be soo proud of yourself for sticking too it!:)
  • lose2cruise
    Options
    I lose very slowly. Usually 1 lb or less a week. But don't give up. I stopped tracking for a while and the weight crept back up. So I'm in it now until I reach goal. 10 lbs in a month is great, but you will slow down after that. You didn't gain it in a day, you won't lose it in a day.
  • JennCh
    JennCh Posts: 63
    Options
    I lose very slowly. Usually 1 lb or less a week. But don't give up. I stopped tracking for a while and the weight crept back up. So I'm in it now until I reach goal. 10 lbs in a month is great, but you will slow down after that. You didn't gain it in a day, you won't lose it in a day.

I truly think the last line is so important to remember. The weight we've gained didn't happen overnight. I'm in year two of my lifestyle change that came about after putting on 25 pounds over a five year period. I lost half of the 25 in year one. At this point I'm struggling to lose the last half, but rather than dwell on the difficulty of losing the last half, I've switched my attention to attaining goals. My first goal was to finish a 5K. I accomplished that. My second goal was to increase my pace to better my time the next time I run. To help with this, I've been working with a group that is training for a sprint tri. Last Sunday at the group run I found my pace had increased significantly. My new goal is to maintain a plank for three minutes. I'm halfway there. All of these little goals may not be changing the scale, but I feel fitter, healthier, and my overall outlook is more positive. This goal-setting mindset has even trickled over into other parts of my life--it's kind of fun to see other areas of my life affected positively because of wanting to live more healthfully.