I love pizza any ideas for healthy alternatives?

2»

Replies

• now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    My husband and I love pizza!

We don't eat out much for pizza (every now and again as a treat) so we make it at home.

Best one I have found is to use a pita as the crust. I make my own pizza sauce out of low sodium tomato soup (add in oregano, parsley, basil, pepper, cayanne, and a mixture of other spices). I than use part skim mozzarella cheese and load it up with fresh veggies. I put pepperoni, bacon or some other form of meat on my husbands pizza and add extra cheese on his since he doesn't need to watch what he eats.

Naan bread is also great as a crust and I have made pizza pockets out of tortillas as well. Really good!

The pizza I make on a pita is usually only about 250 - 300 cals for one and it is really filling that it's hard to eat the whole thing.
  • wigglypeaches
    wigglypeaches Posts: 146 Member
    My favorite pizza joint does a pie with Italian sausage, pepperoni, fresh mushrooms, red onions, tomato sauce, mozzarella and cheddar. A large is only 360 calories a slice.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Homemade crust and buy your toppings so you can contriol the amount of stuff, and it's way less greasy!!
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Make your own at home, including your dough. Or use a pita bread for your crust, works really well and is tasty. I've also seen a "pizzadilla" where you use tortillas and fill them up with pizza stuff like a quesadilla.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    dont eat the whole pie, and if you go over, EARN it back
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    1 cup cooked, cauliflower
    1 egg
    1 cup mozzarella cheese
    1/2 tsp fennel
    1 tsp oregano
    2 tsp parsley

**pizza sauce

toppings of choice
    ff or low-fat mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 450 degrees Farenheit.

Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray.

In a medium bowl, combine cauliflower, egg and mozzarella. Press
    evenly on the pan. Sprinkle evenly with fennel, oregano and parsley.

Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes (15-20 minutes if you double the recipe).

Remove the pan from the oven. To the crust, add sauce, then toppings and cheese.

I really liked mushrooms, onions and tomatoes on mine. If you have a Walmart close by, their Great Value pizza sauce has only 3 carbs for 1/4 cup, which is all I used on this. That’s less than a carb per slice.
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    I make this thing like every day. Not lying. I measured everything & when I make it, it's exactly 300 calories. You can of course substitute things.

Preheat oven to 350. Line a cookie tray with aluminum foil. Get regular sized tortilla or flat bread, or whatever. I use the 100 calorie whole wheat tortillas. Spread some pasta sauce on it. Cover with mozzarella shreds (I use Daiya brand vegan mozzarella). Slice up some tomato pieces (or whatever veggies you like). Chiffonade a green (I use baby spinach!) and sprinkle that on top. I also sprinkle some gomashio on top sometimes.

Cook this at about 18-20 minutes until browned!
  • dnscal123
    dnscal123 Posts: 46 Member
    So many good ideas