Recipes for the college student!

Options
tower913
tower913 Posts: 32 Member
Next semester I am moving off campus into a house with a bunch of my friends. They are all keeping their meal plans while I am ditching the meal plan to start cooking on my own. I love to cook but I do not have a lot of experience. If you guys could post your favorite recipes that are not too difficult that would be great!! Any additional advice about how to cook on your own would be a tremendous help!

Replies

• lucyford22
    lucyford22 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Get a slow cooker!!!
  • dlavato
    Options
    try www.skinnytaste.com there are a ton of awesome recipes on there and they also freeze really well if you make the full recipe and only eat a couple servings that you have some for another day and you don't have to cook. Good luck with school and moving off campus!!!
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    Get a slow cooker!!!

^^^THIS!!
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Master the egg!! Over easy, scrambled, boiled, etc. Easiest protein source to cook up, in my opinion.

Next up get some frozen chicken breasts, much cheaper than fresh and last longer when cooking for 1. There are some easy chicken l'orange recipes (pretty much chicken with brown sugar and orange juice) or stir-fry with vegetables.

I used to make naan pizzas, use 1 naan, top it up with tomato sauce, toppings and cheese and put it in the oven for 10 or so minutes.

I ended up buying a $10 college cookbook off Amazon, and it was my go-to cookbook as well as my roommates. I got one where all recipes had less than 10 ingredients.

Also get some tofu, it's cheaper than meats and can last longer (you'll need to change the water it sits in everyday to keep it fresh) and use those in stir-frys.
  • Anniel88
    Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    The healthy college cookbook - I had this in college. It was an easy, healthy go to cookbook that was perfect for a college student. I think it is only about ten dollars.
  • akh1030
    akh1030 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has said already, the crock pot is a must have. Also, a good toaster oven or panini/sandwich press. You may have an oven, but the toaster oven or press is easier and quicker and you'll end up using it more. I know I did. I had an apt. my Senior year and all three years of law school, wouldn't have made it without the toaster oven and I had a good oven. I just didn't have the time to preheat and such. My go-tos were tuna melts and pizzas on whole grain pita or english muffins. Also, keep a head of lettuce and whatever veggies you like on hand. If you take time to prechop on Sunday, you can throw together a quick salad all week. Whatever you do, do not succum to the temptation of the quick fix frozen meals and boxed crap. I did all that a little too much my last year and now am paying for it with this weight to take off.
  • UncleRiotous
    Options
    This is dead easy to cook (takes a bit of standing by but not too much) and really low calorie. It is truly one of the nicest recipes I've found in years (high or low calorie).

http://www.hairybikers.com/recipes/spicy-bean-and-vegetable-stew/1619
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Suggest "The Starving Students' Cookbook".

http://www.amazon.com/Starving-Students-Cookbook-Dede-Hall/dp/0446679615/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1356311246&sr=1-1&keywords=starving+students+cookbook

Also, as many suggested, a slow-cooker (aka the crockpot). The food can be put in and started in the morning. When you get home, dinner will be ready.

Someone else suggested a panini press. If you can't find one or can't afford one, try using a smaller skillet as the weight.
    Oatmeal can make a filling (and fairly inexpensive) breakfast.
    Ramen noodles (and pasta in general) can be very filling.