New mommy losing the weight and keeping it off!

Options
Hello All! I am a new mom---my little girl is 3 months old. Here is my story: I needed to lose a little weight before getting pregnant but fortunately during pregnancy I only gained aabout 20 pounds. A month after Ryleigh was here, I was down 32 pounds so was smaller than before getting pregnancy. Unfortunately, when my appetite came back it came on full force and I have gained 12 pounds back so now am pretty much where I was when I got pregnant but no where near my ideal weight and goal. Ideally, I would like to lose about 45 pounds. Right now I wear a size 8 or 10 and would like to get back into a size 2 or 4 which I have not been since college!

I am still breastfeeding (pumping while at work) so that help but my problem lately has been that I am just snacking too much. I used to workout 4-5 times per week before and during part of my pregnancy but have not gotten back in the routine yet. Its very difficult to find the time while being a working mom and trying to keep things together at home. I am running a half-marathon at the end of April---this will be my second half marathon but the last one I did will be 2 years ago this April. I would like to obtain my goal weight by Memorial Day--which I know is a little aggressive (average of 3 pounds per week) but I have done it before and feel I can do it again if I really step it up.

I appreciate any advice you all might have!

Replies

• ANGELAWHALEY
    Options
    good luck to you! this site really helps you see those snacks add up wich helps you think twice about eating them!!! since i joined i have lost 7 lbs! wich isnt a ton but for me it is a start....finally! my daughter is 9 months old and i had swore when i was prego that i would be at least my pre prego weight by her 1st bday......then at 7 months i broke my pelvic bone and couldnt work out.....so here i am 2.5 months until she turns one with 31 lbs to go to get back to pre prego weight and another 30 to get to goal weight. so just keep plugging along and we will all cheer each other on! =] congrats on becoming a Mommy!
  • karleen
    karleen Posts: 260
    Options
    congrats on only gaining those 20 pounds! i went nuts while pregnant and gained like 80 pounds! my son's almost 7 months old now and i've lost all that but i'm still working on another 20ish to be where i'd like to be. the first couple months i wasn't even that serious about it, i had a c section and didnt push myself that hard at working out for a while but finally joined a gym and i go 5 days a week now. the only problem i have is breaking the habit of snacking late at night! it's like still being pregnant it's terrible haha. that's def my biggest problem!

good luck! you seem to have is under control seeing as you only gained 20 pounds, but if you have any questions i'm always up to answer them
  • les0423
    Options
    Hi there! Love your little girl's name. I'm a new mommy to a 10 month old Ryleigh. I struggled the first 3 or 4 months after I had Ryleigh, but I stuck with using this site to track my calories and exercise. After about 6 months, the weight finally started to come off. I agree with you, it's so hard to find time to exercise while working full time and trying to keep up with everything at home. Good luck with your weight loss journey! You can do it!
  • mbruskotter
    Options
    Hi, congrats to you for signing up and getting started. I have been working out and doing cardio since Nov. 09 and I lost my baby weight pretty fast, all except that stubborn last 15 pounds. I could not break a wall that I had run into, that is until I joined MFP a few weeks ago. After months and months of my husband telling me that I would not see the results I wanted until I started to eat right and eat less I joined MFP. Finally the weight has started to come off, more importantly the inches. My pants fit better, by shirts are not as tight on my arms and back and I'm starting to feel better about my progress. See, I was guilty of eating somewhat the right foods but eating way too much. I was eating an average of 22 to 2500 calories a day. I really had a problem with portions and understanding what type of effect they had on my weight management. MFP has helped to measure portions and weigh my food for starters so I can see exactly what is in one serving of a certain food. I also realized the importance of protein and planning ahead. As a mom you know how to do this for your baby when you pack a bag for any "just in case's" that might pop up. You should think about yourself and do the same. Carry a cooler with healthy snacks in it. Just in case you get a craving you can have almonds, or no or low butter popcorn or fruit handy. The options are endless and have saved me from a nugget and fry or two. Really stay on top of how much protein you have. I suggest that if you are a snacker you first of all eat six small meals a day breakfast being your biggest then an am and mid day snack and lunch an dinner and small after dinner snack if you really feel it necessary. I suggest that your am and mid day snacks be a whey protein shake. You really do need your protein. OK that all I have to rant about. Best of luck to you and good luck to you on seeing food as fuel for your body and not just something to put in your mouth...that was always my problem.

You can do it!
  • Mom2Ryleigh
    Options
    Thank you all for sharing your experience, tips, and motivation with me! I appreciate it so much and look forward to us all getting through this together! Good luck to you all!

So funny there is another little Ryleigh out there! I know its not a very common speling for it so that it neat! And what a doll she is too.