fasting for lent

Options
my men's covenant group will be fasting one day a week through the lenten season (the next 6 weeks). Anyone have any tips on how to approach this from a dietary/ nutritional standpoint. I realize that a spiritual fast should not be about weight loss, but i have noticed that on days where i eat minimal calories that my weight tends to fluctuate up. Any advice or insight would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Shelley130
    Options
    is it a water only or are you allowed to drink liquids?
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about fasting too but then I thought about the whole "starvation mode" thing. I'm sorry I don't have any advice but will check in later to see what everyone else says.

Also you might wanna explain what are the terms of your fasting. What u are allowed to have and at what times are ur meals before and after fasting and how u break the fasting?
  • ericaquin
    ericaquin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Half way through the day yesterday I remembered that yesterday (ash wednesday) is a day of fasting and abstinence, I kept one of 2. Anyway, the fast is from sun up to sun down so technically you can get up prior to the sun and have a lite meal. You are allowed liquid (I am a Catholic) so drink your water and or tea. My advice to you is to not go on a binge once the sun goes down, ease in to eating. Keep focused (reading scripture) to get you through the hunger which is the whole point of the fast. Good luck to you, you will do fine and remember your doing the fast for him, not you.
  • vonalj
    vonalj Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do it. You might binge when you are able to eat. I'm catholic and I'm doing something else non-food related for lent.
  • spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Options
    thats a good point, what type of fast would be doing?

daniel fast, complete fast etc..
  • angel_eyes17
    angel_eyes17 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    For Catholics who want to fast for Lent, one suggestion is a Daniel Fast. I don't know what kind of fast you were considering, but this is info for anyone interested.

*****Foods to include in your diet during the Daniel Fast*****

All fruits. These can be fresh, frozen, dried, juiced or canned. Fruits include but are not limited to apples, apricots, bananas, blackberries, blueberries, boysenberries, cantaloupe, cherries, cranberries, figs, grapefruit, grapes, guava, honeydew melon, kiwi, lemons, limes, mangoes, nectarines, oranges, papayas, peaches, pears, pineapples, plums, prunes, raisins, raspberries, strawberries, tangelos, tangerines, watermelon

All vegetables. These can be fresh, frozen, dried, juiced or canned. Vegetables include but are not limited to artichokes, asparagus, beets, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, chili peppers, collard greens, corn, cucumbers, eggplant, garlic, ginger root, kale, leeks, lettuce, mushrooms, mustard greens, okra, onions, parsley, potatoes, radishes, rutabagas, scallions, spinach, sprouts, squashes, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, turnips, watercress, yams, zucchini.

All whole grains, including but not limited to whole wheat, brown rice, millet, quinoa, oats, barley, grits, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat tortillas, rice cakes and popcorn.

All nuts and seeds, including but not limited to sunflower seeds, cashews, peanuts, sesame. Also nut butters including peanut butter.

All legumes. These can be canned or dried. Legumes include but are not limited to dried beans, pinto beans, split peas, lentils, black eyed peas, kidney beans, black beans, cannellini beans, white beans.
    All quality oils including but not limited to olive, canola, grape seed, peanut, and sesame.

Beverages: spring water, distilled water or other pure waters.
    Other: tofu, soy products, vinegar, seasonings, salt, herbs and spices.

*****Foods to avoid on the Daniel Fast*****

All meat and animal products including but not limited to beef, lamb, pork, poultry, and fish.

All dairy products including but not limited to milk, cheese, cream, butter, and eggs.

All sweeteners including but not limited to sugar, raw sugar, honey, syrups, molasses, and cane juice.

All leavened bread including Ezekiel Bread (it contains yeast and honey) and baked goods.

All refined and processed food products including but not limited to artificial flavorings, food additives, chemicals, white rice, white flour, and foods that contain artificial preservatives.

All deep fried foods including but not limited to potato chips, French fries, corn chips.

All solid fats including shortening, margarine, lard and foods high in fat.

Beverages including but not limited to coffee, tea, herbal teas, carbonated beverages, energy drinks, and alcohol.

Again, this is just information as you pray let your spirit guide you and tell you exactly what the Lord wants you to sacrifice.

Stay Blessed and be a blessing!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i'm not catholic, but i plan on doing a once a week liquid fast during lent. here's how it did it yesterday, if it helps:

8 oz of skim milk and hot tea for breakfast
    8 oz of skim milk and hot apple cider for lunch
    8 oz of skim milk, 8 oz of v8 and 12 oz of hot beef broth for supper
    12 glasses of water throughout the day.

i need the heat in order to feel 'full'.

it is approximately 600 calories. good luck!
    dawn
  • angel_eyes17
    angel_eyes17 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Tis true!!! Catholics aren't the only ones fasting for Lent. Thank you for this. :smile:
    i'm not catholic, but i plan on doing a once a week liquid fast during lent. here's how it did it yesterday, if it helps:

8 oz of skim milk and hot tea for breakfast
    8 oz of skim milk and hot apple cider for lunch
    8 oz of skim milk, 8 oz of v8 and 12 oz of hot beef broth for supper
    12 glasses of water throughout the day.

i need the heat in order to feel 'full'.

it is approximately 600 calories. good luck!
    dawn