What event could sidetrack you?

Options
flatblade
flatblade Posts: 224 Member
I've been at MFP about 5 months. I've dealt with the disruptions of deaths in the family, holidays and changed work schedules and have survived them quite well. The one event that scares me and has sidetracked me in the past is injury. It doesn't even have to be something serious, just something to get me away from my exercising routine. I had an ankle sprain and couldn't go to the gym, then didn't go to the gym and then basically quit working out. The ankle was long healed, but I got out of the routine. Further, since I couldn't work out at first, I started "oversnacking" with the time I had on my hands.

Today I tweaked my knee. Thankfully it seems like the problem is over in less than a day, but an injury that would take me out of my routine really concerns me.

Does anyone have a different point of view? Is there something that stops all of us from working on our new, healthier lifestyles?

Replies

• Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

Today I tweaked my knee. Thankfully it seems like the problem is over in less than a day, but an injury that would take me out of my routine really concerns me.
    Doug Graham says "An injury is not an excuse to be lazy, it is a cross training opportunity"

I have definitely let injuries get me down before, but i try to think of the Dr. Graham quote i just typed and figure out something i can do. If my legs are hurt, i can still upper body strength training, so i try not to let an injury hold me back. I also try to work on my form for whatever exercises i do that use my injured body part, so that i don't injure it again.
  • rubixcyoob
    Options
    Exams, they definitely de-rail me. I barely eat proper meals because I don't want to leave my studying to cook. So I just snack, a few biscuits and a bit of chocolate etc.

I am still under calories most times, but not healthy and wayyyyyyyy over my sugars.

Also, Christmas will derail me, not in the 'lets-go-wild' way, but I may overindulge a little, but it's Christmas. I am going to make my galaxy milk chocolate and raspberry cheesecake, and will be having some. As for the dinner I'll have more meat and veggies than normal, but won't skip anything, just eat in moderation. Good thing is I don't normally eat any lunch or snacks then, just one dinner.

Boxing day will also derail me a bit. It's mine and my fiancees one year anniversary, and we are going to a spanish tapas place and getting cocktails.
  • dancinnat
    Options
    I'd have to agree with you on the injury part. I was going strong since May and had lost about 60lbs when I almost lost my right kidney this October. Not only did it prevent me from being able to work out, but the nausea made it so difficult to eat healthy. I got to a point where I had to eat what sounded good at the time or I'd throw up, and it wasn't always the healthiest options. I am pretty much recovered now but finding it hard to get back in my routine with as much ferocity as I started with. I find it's almost as difficult as it was to start to begin with!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Christmas always does it for me, with mince pies, cake, chocolates, marzipan etc etc in my mother's home.
    Definitely going to be taking some greek yoghurt this year anf hoping having a pot of that each evening will curb things at least a little bit.

Also, loss of friendship/relationship tends to derail me for quite sometime as I tend to fall into depression.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Tequila Fridays.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I am totally focused on......ooooh look a shiny Quarter!!!
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    Tequila Fridays.

Driving Dani home from Tequila Fridays.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Dying would probably put a damper on my fitness goals.
  • ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Getting pregnant and having a miscarriage. I'm still trying to get back into the swing of things.
  • JoeSzup
    JoeSzup Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    12/21/12 ... totally. :)

Seriously though, I do fear injury, but I don't let it dampen my workouts. I'm motivated, but I know to temper my motivation with good sense.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Injuries can be worked around.

We're expecting twins in a few months. To be honest this is the first time I'm a little bit scared of getting off track. The priorities in my life are obviously going to shift drastically. I hope to be able to keep up with my fitness goals in addition to being the best father I can be.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Tequila Fridays.

After having already driven me home on Thirsty Thursdays.
  • kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Tequila Fridays.

Too funny

Seriously though, pinched nerves in my neck can really sideline me from exercise.
  • sportytalldoll
    sportytalldoll Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Last week it only took an 80hour work week for me to feel like i was side tracked.

didnt get to grocery shop before the overtime started hitting and by then it was down to working 16hrs, being off for 8hours which was consumed by 6hrs of sleeping, 1hr of gym, and 1hour of running around like a chicken with its head chopped off to get ready for anohter 16hr shift..and repeat! haha
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Moving side tracked me. I had lost 63 lbs right before moving to the South. Gained 40 back in a year and 4 months. I am now 11 lbs from where I was when I got here. No more moves for me.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    Tequila Fridays.

After having already driven me home on Thirsty Thursdays.

Well, you know. Just get in the van.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Injuries are horrible and so de-motivating. I have patella tendoitis in both knees at the moment that stops me doing so much that I love (no running or sport). I'm trying to stay positive and focus on what I CAN do - upper body strength and some lower body stuff, pilates, boxing and cycling (unfortunately I can't swim as it aggrevates my shoulder). I miss the convienience of going for a run though. Hard while away from home/the gym to do some of my other types of exercise. I have let injuries de-rail my training in the past and have told myself it's not going to happen this time. I like that quote about thinking of it as a cross-training oppertunity. Still - frustrating though :(
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I was laid up with a virus for 10 days & gained 4.6lbs... Only just getting back into the swing on things now!
  • bellacharlie
    Options
    I fear a visiting house guest will throw me off track. Before starting this program 6 days ago I did a major clean-up of my kitchen cupboards which left me nothing in the way of goodies to offer guests. With Christmas just next week and overnight guests expected I went shopping yesterday and ended up buying a bag of cookies. Needless to say I have already opened the bag and indulged. I stayed under my calories yesterday but the bag of cookies are like a time-bomb in my cabinet. I have decided to put them out in the garage refrigerator out of sight until the guest arrives. That is the only way I think there will be any left.
  • opalescence
    opalescence Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    events or holidays usually dont derail me but my own emotions can have serious consequences.

If I'm really anxious about something upcoming I can derail myself, its like I start munching out in anticipation of the event.

I need to schedule a surgery and I've been hesitant because I wont be able to do anything strenuous for 4 weeks and then a green light to ease back into my program. That 4 week hiatus scares me something fierce.