Realistic

Options
How do you know what weight is realistic to be at for your specific body type?

Replies

• ChefJeremyC
    Options
    You should consult a doctor to find out what your weight specifics should be.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    I had the same question. I had my goal at 130 and my doctor told me that i should higher it to 135 and when I get there we could reevalute. BUT I have a goal to run a marathon and my doctor thought i wouldn't be strong enough at 130.

So I guess I agree, ask your doctor!
  • sdirks
    sdirks Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Consulting your doctor is a good idea.

If you'd like a ball-park now, I'd suggest looking at other members of your family. What height/weight ratio do you think flatters them? Use the BMI calculator under "Tools" to get an estimate of your family members' BMIs, then calculate what weight would yield that BMI range for you.
    If you do this, I really recommend keeping it within your family and not branching out to friends or celebrities. Your family will be closer to you in body type and health concerns. You might want to dig through old photo albums, too, and ask relatives how much they weighed back in the day. Personally, I'm shooting for my grandmother's measurements when she was a model in the 1940's. It's a shape and look I like. I also know I can attain it--and maintain it.
  • faythe
    faythe Posts: 245
    Options
    There's no ideal weight that works for every person. My end goal weight is 150, whereas that might be someone else's start weight. I did consult my doctor to come up with that number, though.

Consulting a physician who knows you and your body to talk about what your weight goal should be is really the best way to do it.

Hope this helps! :)
  • areay22
    areay22 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thanks all of these helped a lot. I think I'm being too unrealistic with everything. I'm 5'10" and come from a large family. Guess I'm stuck with a lot of what I have.
  • sdirks
    sdirks Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Thanks all of these helped a lot. I think I'm being too unrealistic with everything. I'm 5'10" and come from a large family. Guess I'm stuck with a lot of what I have.

I know the feeling! I'm 5'8". My goal is 145lbs, but I'm more focused on losing inches than pounds. Remember that muscle weighs more than fat, and takes up less space on the body. Focus on a shape that you find flattering and healthy-looking. Genetics are a hurdle, but your mind is stronger!