Smoothies without bananas

Options
chaoskitty
chaoskitty Posts: 29 Member
I'm allergic to bananas. Wtf can I use in smoothies to substitute banana everything?

Replies

• FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    You can really use any fruit. I don't put bananas in mine at all. I add raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, apples, kiwi, spinach, mango etc. I have even made one with pumpkin =) Get creative no need for bananas =)
  • Smiling_Sara
    Smiling_Sara Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    frozen strawberries are awesome in smoothies! =)
  • kermiehiho
    kermiehiho Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I use papaya as a base a lot. It goes well with almost everything. Other than banana, I've tried (and enjoyed it) with strawberry, raspberry, pineapple, mango, persimmon. Other than that, I use about 2/3 c. plain yogurt (if plain greek yogurt, I use half yogurt and half skim milk - unless you like your smoothies uber thick). If you want the thickness that blended banana often affords smoothies, I suggest using frozen fruit.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    all the fruits!
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Never used bananas, not planning on ever trying. Since most of the frozen smoothie mixed come with it, I just buy the frozen berry mixes. Those partially thawed to not destroy my blender, Greek yogurt, spinach, and some sort of fruit juice is my personal favorite that doesn't involve rum or pudding.
  • chaoskitty
    chaoskitty Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! I just see almost every reciepe with banana and I'm frustrated! But if other frozen fruit will give it a thicker consistency then I'll try that.
  • Maimie84
    Options
    Avocado, kiwi and green apples are great as well.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    The frozen berries really add thickness. Also, you could use greek yoghurt....I add a scoop of vanilla protein powder to mine so it adds a creaminess as well. :)
  • Gorger
    Gorger Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Avocados and then one date to sweeten.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I hate bananas in my smoothies. In fact, I don't have smoothie because I HATE the banana. It overtakes all the other flavors! I'll be trying some more berry ones with no banana!
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    My favorite SUPER HEALTHY smoothie... It tastes very fresh and fruity
    two cups of baby kale
    1 cup of blueberries
    1 cup of strawberriess and/or mangos, peaches any fruit
    1-1.5 cups of vanilla almond milk (dont use soy it will react oddly with the kale)

This smoothie has amazing health benefits.

Blueberries are repeatedly ranked in the U.S. diet as having one of the highest antioxidant capacities among all fruits, vegetables, spices and seasonings. Antioxidants are essential to optimizing health by helping to combat the free radicals that can damage cellular structures as well as DNA. The cool thing about blueberries is that freezing them does not effect their nutritional/health benefits whatsoever! My smoothies are almost too thick when I use frozen blueberries. I usually let them sit for a little while before drinking to prevent brain freeze lol!

Check out these stats on Kale from WHfood.com

Kale can provide you with some special cholesterol-lowering benefits if you will cook it by steaming. The fiber-related components in kale do a better job of binding together with bile acids in your digestive tract when they've been steamed. When this binding process takes place, it's easier for bile acids to be excreted, and the result is a lowering of your cholesterol levels. Raw kale still has cholesterol-lowering ability—just not as much. ( I wonder of blending the Kale helps hte body break it down? I am thinking of steaming it and then freezing it.... I have not done this yet as I think I am eating quite a bit of healthy food and can afford to miss the extra benefits of steaming!)

Kale's risk-lowering benefits for cancer have recently been extended to at least five different types of cancer. These types include cancer of the bladder, breast, colon, ovary, and prostate. Isothiocyanates (ITCs) made from glucosinolates in kale play a primary role in achieving these risk-lowering benefits.

Kale is now recognized as providing comprehensive support for the body's detoxification system. New research has shown that the ITCs made from kale's glucosinolates can help regulate detox at a genetic level.

Researchers can now identify over 45 different flavonoids in kale. With kaempferol and quercetin heading the list, kale's flavonoids combine both antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits in way that gives kale a leading dietary role with respect to avoidance of chronic inflammation and oxidative stress.
    Nutrients in Kale (1.00 cup)
    vitamin K1327.6%
    vitamin A354.1%
    vitamin C88.8%
    manganese27%
    fiber10.4%
    vitamin B69%
    omega-3 fats5.4%
    vitamin B25.2%
    protein4.9%
    vitamin B14.6%
    Calories (36)2%
    As for flax...its super high in Omega three. Here are the stats.

Nutrients inFlax Seeds
    2.00 tbs (14.00 grams)
    omega-3 fats132.9%
    manganese17.5%
    vitamin B115.3%
    fiber15.2%
    magnesium13.7%

Almond milk... I use it because dairy and soy don't do well with kale...but If I have time, I make it instead of buying the processed, artificial stuff.

1 cup almonds, soaked overnight
    3 pitted dates
    Pinch of salt
    3 cups water
    1. Combine almonds, pitted dates, salt, and water in a blender and blend on high for two minutes.
    2. Strain through a cheesecloth-lined strainer into a large measuring cup or bowl. Store in a glass jar in the refrigerator for up to three days.
    (I add vanilla and a little honey to sweetend it up a bit...)

I love whfoods.com I refer to it before planning the weeks menu :-)
  • blackmantis
    blackmantis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Black Strap Molasses
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to bananas. Wtf can I use in smoothies to substitute banana everything?

You can put whatever you want in a smoothie.

I make mine with raspberries, blackberries, blueberries and a banana. But there have been times when I'm out of bananas and don't feel like going to the store, so I just leave it out or maybe add some strawberries. Bananas are absolutely not essential to a smoothie.
  • 87indiegirl
    87indiegirl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This morning's banana-free smoothie:

1/2 pineapple
    1 orange
    2-3 cups kale
    3tsp. maca powder
    2 tbsp. ground chia seeds
    1/5 package of nasoya silken tofu
    1 cup. so delicious almond milk + protein
    1 hunk of fresh ginger
    16 ice cubes

Makes a delicious, smoothie and beautifully green smoothie. This recipe makes 3 servings (I take 2 to work for breakfast and leave one in a thermos for my husband to have with his cereal).
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I like the taste and texture of avocado over banana in smoothies.