Cravings during time of the month

I do really well acheiving my cal deficit during the first 3 weeks of the month but when my cycle comes on I can't stick to my goal. The cravings are so hard to block! I lose 3 lbs during the first half of the month and gain one back after my cycle. Any tips to help manage the cravings?

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Struggle with this myself. Only thing that ever helps is keeping some dark chocolate around, making my own desserts from greek yoghurt, hot chocolate powder and bench press oatmeal, keeping up with regular exercise before eating and sheer willpower, which often fails me as the cravings can be so insanely intense that I literally want to eat every cake and cookie in the store in one evening.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    I give in in tiny amounts. One square of dark chocolate!
  • I get them mad strong too... I try to exercise more to balance it out, and just ride it out honestly. =/ Make sure you take your vitamins, and a little bit of frozen 90% dark chocolate does kinda help me. ^^
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Trader Joes dark chocolate peanut butter cups. 3 cups are only 180 cal. So during the day I eat really well, and save about 200 cal to enjoy these in the evening, which is when I crave something sweet. They hit the spot and allow me to stay within my cal limit. I usually get really hungry and crave chocolate right before my period, and last week was before my period, and I still lost 3 lbs!!! I also work out doing Zumba Wii so that allows me to eat some extra calories.
  • skrakalaka
    skrakalaka Posts: 338 Member
    I can't stop stuffing my face today, it's really hard with all the Christmas treats around. I haven't found a way to beat it so I let myself have this one day a month.
  • GypsySoul_74
    GypsySoul_74 Posts: 152 Member
    i agree with skrakalaka... all months are bad, but this month is particularly bad because i've been exercising my willpower so much to begin with. *sigh*. i'm so there right now. wanting to eat every brownie in a 100 mile radius, topped with ice cream, hot fudge and marshmallows. and chocolate chips. and whipped cream. wow, how sick would my stomach be!!!
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    I try to not give in. Sometimes I can outride the cravings before my period...but then during I'll still crave. It's like I won't stop craving UNTIL I give in and have that chocolate/chips/chocolate/chips...in that order. I try to stick to my exericse as much as possible and eat more protein to keep myself full so hopefully hunger won't get too bad and send me into a binge. I also try to not keep those kinds of foods around. It is only a few days every few weeks...so the rest of the month I'm okay for the most part.
  • mrskchris
    mrskchris Posts: 28 Member
    I'm in that sam eboat right now. i exercised hard today and I still feel bloated. My cravings and water retention begin 10 days befor my cycle which sucks! I don't eat gluten or dairy, but I have been craving both liek crazy the past couple of days. I am trying not to give in because I have been eating pretty clean for 8 months now. My biggest indulgence is peanut butter on a banana or rice cake. It seems to be 2 steps forward one step back during this time of the month.