lose weight w/ caloric deficet from diet or cardio??

Options
I always wondered about this. I could eat 1600 cals with NO cardio.. or I can eat 2000, and exercise apox 400 off.. Whats the difference in relation to overall weightloss/fat loss?

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    You can do either. it's the deficit that matters. However, exercise has lots of benefits over doing nothing. Notably, your body will look better at the end if you exercise, you'll be healthier, it helps seratonin, so you'll be happier, have more energy, and burn more calories when you're doing nothing.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    You can do either. it's the deficit that matters. However, exercise has lots of benefits over doing nothing. Notably, your body will look better at the end if you exercise, you'll be healthier, it helps seratonin, so you'll be happier, have more energy, and burn more calories when you're doing nothing.
    ^This chick's a genius. Listen to her.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

^^this. And she moved like a cyclone!
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

^^These chicks are geniuses. Listen to them.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

i'm part of bean's posse, so i have to follow her around and co-sign what she says sooooo

^^^THIS^^^
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    ^ yup. Just think about what your goals are. Is it to see a smaller number on the scale? Do you want to focus on body composition? Are there health reasons involved?

There are many, many perks to getting a good workout in, including looking better (with or without clothes) and feeling better. I have lost with just eating less, I am exponentially more pleased with my results from incorporating weightlifting and cardio to create my deficit. The scale hasn't budged a whole lot but the inches, my clothes, the mirror and my self image tell a whole different story.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit with strength training ftw
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Caloric deficit with strength training ftw

Yes! This will yield the most visually appealing results. You might end up a few pound heavier, but you'll look so much better. Who cares about the number on the scale? I'd MUCH rather have muscle and be cut than be skinnyfat.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    You could do either BUT I feel one has greater benefit from exercise since it can increase your metabolic rate; also lift heavy. Weight training can help improve your results by toning the muscles beneath the flab.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    What everyone else has said but I would add that the more food you can eat the more vitamins and minerals you can get from your regular diet.
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Exercising has all the aforementioned benefits. Plus you simply get to eat more.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    i should have added in that I do cardio & strength training already. :) I was just wondering if there was a difference in how the weight comes off diet vs exercise.