is calf size more genetic?

Options
I have always had very small calves no matter what I do. My 11 year old daughter pointed out to me that mine were smaller than hers. I work as a roofer on my feet all day carrying things up ladders and the guys I work with doing the same thing have massive calves. I measured them at 11.25 and looking at the average on line that is quite small.

Do genetics play a big role in calf size?

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    In small part genetic, mostly diet and activity level. I'm fairly lean but my calves are a pretty good size. I've noticed throughout my weight loss/fitness journey my bust, waist, and hip measurements have decreased, but my forearm, upper arm, thigh, and calf measurements have gone up. It really just comes down to how much muscle you have on your calves and how much fat you have. Where you store fat is genetic so you might not carry much in your calves. This doesn't mean that you can't increase your calf size. I don't store much fat on my calf, but through exercise I've increased my calf size.
  • brscott22
    Options
    In small part genetic, mostly diet and activity level. I'm fairly lean but my calves are a pretty good size. I've noticed throughout my weight loss/fitness journey my bust, waist, and hip measurements have decreased, but my forearm, upper arm, thigh, and calf measurements have gone up. It really just comes down to how much muscle you have on your calves and how much fat you have. Where you store fat is genetic so you might not carry much in your calves. This doesn't mean that you can't increase your calf size. I don't store much fat on my calf, but through exercise I've increased my calf size.
    I don't think I carry any extra fat in my lower body unfortunately, just my stomach
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    In small part genetic, mostly diet and activity level.

flip this around and you have your answer
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    do some calf work?

Typically people who were pretty large most of their lives have huge calves.
  • ErinGBragh
    ErinGBragh Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    My family all have huge calves. Even when I was 199 lbs 11 years ago, my calves looked like I'd been working out. My daughter went to a gymnastics preschool class when she was 2 and one mom turned to me and said "How long has she been going here??? Her calves are super developed!" LOL. So in my case, the genes are strong!
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    if you want bigger calves train your calves 4-6 days a week.

Every (natural) person I have ever come across that has made significant progress with calves did a ton of frequency.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    if you want bigger calves train your calves 4-6 days a week.

Every (natural) person I have ever come across that has made significant progress with calves did a ton of frequency.
    You mean eat in a surplus and then.....
  • amishabbie17
    Options
    do some calf work?

Typically people who were pretty large most of their lives have huge calves.

That is me... :( I would like to get smaller calves and do tons of cardio but you can only fix sooo much
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    My calves have always been enormous and muscular. In fact, one of the first more hurtful comments that I always remember about my weight was a boy saying how huge my calves were when I was around 11. lol. BUT, I also always played soccer as a child, and once, at summer camp, a group of us were playing soccer, and this boy and I happened to go for the ball at the same time, and kicked each other instead, and I ended up with a bruise on the top of my foot, and his leg broke in two places. :blushing: So yeah, my calves may be big, but the force is strong hah. I'd say just work on the muscles as much as you can...
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    IMO Women are built for muscular lower bodies as to bare children and Men have muscular upper bodies to adapt to physical work. forage for food, kill things with their caveman bat...you know, the typical things we do these days. haha

-I don't mean it as a sexist comment but that's just how our genetics played out and what we have evolved into over thousands of years. It is what it is.
  • brscott22
    Options
    IMO Women are built for muscular lower bodies as to bare children and Men have muscular upper bodies to adapt to physical work. forage for food, kill things with their caveman bat...you know, the typical things we do these days. haha

-I don't mean it as a sexist comment but that's just how our genetics played out and what we have evolved into over thousands of years. It is what it is.
    Lol
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/training-the-calves.html

"Of all of the bodyparts that bodybuilder types want to grow, calves have traditionally been one of the most difficult. In fact, in the field, calves are often thought to be one of the most genetic muscle groups, you either have them or don’t have them."

Good article and website, check it out.
  • brscott22
    Options
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/training-the-calves.html

"Of all of the bodyparts that bodybuilder types want to grow, calves have traditionally been one of the most difficult. In fact, in the field, calves are often thought to be one of the most genetic muscle groups, you either have them or don’t have them."

Good article and website, check it out.
    thanks
  • brscott22
    Options
    Mine are pretty much straight up and down just hoping for a little definition in the middle so it looks better in shorts
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Cow milk will apparently grow a calf into a 1000 pound steer.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    You can call it genetics but also general physiology like bone length and height/weight play a role. These are partially defined by the nutrient environment in childhood.

I have big beefy calves - unfortunately it is also one othe last places where I lose fat, so unless I go down into ridonculo low bf% mine look like furry Lincoln Logs.
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I would GLADLY do a calf donation for you! lol I have PLENTY of ginormous calf to spare!
  • brscott22
    Options
    I would GLADLY do a calf donation for you! lol I have PLENTY of ginormous calf to spare!
    sounds good lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Calves are mostly genetic. Higher insertions of the gastrocnemius will make the calf appear "high" while a lower insertion gives a fuller appearance. You can't change the insertion and muscle shape, although you can increase it's size. Whether you have high /full calves, blame your parents.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Agree with calves being largly genetic.. sorry :)