Supplemental shakes

Options
Hello! I'm usually just a lurker on this board but was wondering if anyone could offer any information regarding supplemental shakes. Does anyone recommend this? I think it would be two shakes per day and then a regular meal for dinner. Is this very healthy? I guess my concern would be gaining the weight back once you start incorporating regular meals again, because let's face it you can't live on shakes forever! :)

Thanks in advance for any information/advice!

Laura

Replies

• Celestia
    Celestia Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    This is just my opinion, but I'm not a fan of 2 shakes and a sensible dinner plan. There are lots of vital nutrients (fiber, vitamins, protein, etc.) from eating good, clean whole foods that is lost when meal replacement shakes are used. What I am a big fan of is protein smoothies that supplement my protein needs on days that I'm strength training or low on protein (vegetarian here).

Again this is just my opinion and suggestion, but read the ingredients of the shakes and determine if it is something you want to put in your body and that will benefit your goals. I would occasionally grab a slim fast if I was in a hurry to eat and needed a quick snack, until I read the label and saw that it was mostly water and oil with other flavor enhancers added. Instead now I grab a piece of cheese and an apple or a yogurt for a quick snack on the go.

MFP is really great for tracking your nutrients such as calories, carbs, fat, protein to help keep you in line with your health goals. You can also track exercise on here as well, there are a lot of posts in the General Health and Weight loss section for information on eating your exercise calories.

Good luck!
  • tntrav44
    tntrav44 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert either, but I agree with Celestia. I don't think a shake is that bad for breakfast OR lunch (and maybe supplement with some veggies or fruit), but for two meals, I think you're missing out on some necessary nutrition. I typically drink a shake for breakfast if I have it as a meal. I also like to drink one right after a workout to rebuild muscle and then I count it as a snack.

Like I said, I'm no expert, but I hope this helps!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    This is just my opinion, but I'm not a fan of 2 shakes and a sensible dinner plan. There are lots of vital nutrients (fiber, vitamins, protein, etc.) from eating good, clean whole foods that is lost when meal replacement shakes are used. What I am a big fan of is protein smoothies that supplement my protein needs on days that I'm strength training or low on protein (vegetarian here).

Again this is just my opinion and suggestion, but read the ingredients of the shakes and determine if it is something you want to put in your body and that will benefit your goals. I would occasionally grab a slim fast if I was in a hurry to eat and needed a quick snack, until I read the label and saw that it was mostly water and oil with other flavor enhancers added. Instead now I grab a piece of cheese and an apple or a yogurt for a quick snack on the go.

I 100% agree with this post. I only take shakes to increase or hit my protein goal not for meal replacement, and/or right after my strength training workout.
  • laural007
    laural007 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I knew something that sounded so easy couldn't be all that healthy for me. I'm just really struggling with good foods vs. bad foods and was looking for the easy way out! I will continue on my journey, struggles and all because it can only get easier, right?!
  • Lady_C_the_1st
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I knew something that sounded so easy couldn't be all that healthy for me. I'm just really struggling with good foods vs. bad foods and was looking for the easy way out! I will continue on my journey, struggles and all because it can only get easier, right?!

Hi Laural007

It is difficult to get the balance right between good foods vs bad foods but there is a wealth of information on the internet regarding good foods. Also we are all trying to re-shape out bodies and can support each other and give advice to those who need it. Anything that sounds too good to be true, probably is!

BUT there is no easy way out when trying to lose weight/shape up. You need to work at getting the balance right and slowly but surely it will become second nature to you and yes it will get much easier over time.

I am still learning about the foods that are good for my body and weight loss and am sure I still have an awful lot left to learn but it has definitely become easier over time.

Good luck on your journey.

xx
  • mowens77
    mowens77 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I had tried the supplemental shakes for breakfast for two weeks I noticed I wasn't lossing any weight and I had actually gained 2 pounds. The shakes (at least the one I had which was the Costco brand) are loaded with sugar!!! As soon as I stopped drinking them and started eating regular foods for breakfast I started lossing weight again :happy: I also have trouble choosing good vs. bad foods I have to say though using this site has helped ALOT and it's just a matter controlling my eating impulses(which can be hard at times:blushing: ).
  • BobbieJo_1977
    BobbieJo_1977 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Regarding the "good" vs "bad" foods, try taking some of "bad" foods you like and start trying to make a healthier version. I love soft tacos but I know that my body doesn't tolerate the tortillas well, so I sub something like barley, rice or quinoa instead. Also I love ice cream, so I either make homemade protein ice cream (which contains no sugar) or I throw a nonfat yogurt into the freezer. I hope this helps! :)