Options
    squat or squat variation.
    deadlift
    bench
    Rows
    overhead press
    chin ups / pull ups
    dips

Indeed, a beginner could do this twice a week and experience gains. I've done pretty much this for a year and am much stronger than I was when I started.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    squat or squat variation.
    deadlift
    bench
    Rows
    overhead press
    chin ups / pull ups
    dips

Indeed, a beginner could do this twice a week and experience gains. I've done pretty much this for a year and am much stronger than I was when I started.

I didn't mean do all that in one session, that's too much IMO especially when stuff starts to get heavy. I Just meant make those movements most of what you do in the gym.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

I didn't mean do all that in one session, that's too much IMO especially when stuff starts to get heavy. I Just meant make those movements most of what you do in the gym.

agreed. too much work to do in one day.

I like 5x5 programming, it's simple and would have you doing squats, bench, rows on one day. Then overhead, deads, lighter squats and chins could be done on the other day.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

agreed. too much work to do in one day.

I like 5x5 programming, it's simple and would have you doing squats, bench, rows on one day. Then overhead, deads, lighter squats and chins could be done on the other day.

You're right - but I'm not lifting as heavy as you, I suspect, due to injuries from climbing.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Way too high volume, you'll be lacking in intensity doing that routine.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    If you train to be strong and fit, you'll look the part.

If you train to look like such-and-such from that movie (where they had professionals starving and dehydrating the f*** out of them and putting them on HIGHLY regimented diets and spraying on the sweat and abs JUST so) it'll likely end poorly.

If you want to increase muscle mass but are worried it'll get out of control and you'll suddenly look like the Rock tomorrow (don't worry, you won't), keep your defecit small and plan to grow mass slowly. That's a better way to bulk anyhow.

For lifting, based on what you're doing, and the volume you're putting in, I'd venture a guess that you're relatively new to lifting. Given the length of the other workout you listed, try this:

Workout A
    Major Quad Dominant Leg Exercise (Like the Squat) for 5 sets of 5-8
    Minor Hamstring Dominant Leg Exercise (Like the Stiff Leg Deadlift) for 3 sets of 8-15
    Major Horizontal Push (Like Bench Press) for 5 sets of 5-8
    Minor Horizontal Pull (Like Strict Pendlay Row) for 3 sets of 8-15
    Major Overhead Vertical Push (Like Standing Press) for 5 sets of 5-8
    Minor Overhead Vertical Pull (Like Pullups) for 3 sets of 8-15
    Major Under Vertical Push (Like Weighted Dips) for 5 sets of 5-8
    Minor Under Vertical Pull (Like Kirk Rows) for 3 sets of 8-15

Workout B
    Major Hamstring Dominant Leg Exercise (Like the Deadlift) for 5 sets of 5-8
    Minor Quad Dominant Leg Exercise (Like the Pause Squat or Front Squat) for 3 sets of 8-15
    Major Horizontal Pull (Like TBar Row) for 5 sets of 5-8
    Minor Horizontal Push (Like DB Bench Press) for 3 sets of 8-15
    Major Overhead Vertical Pull (Like Weighted Pullups) for 5 sets of 5-8
    Minor Overhead Vertical Push (Like Seated DB Press) for 3 sets of 8-15
    Major Under Vertical Pull (Like Shrugs) for 5 sets of 5-8
    Minor Under Vertical Push (Like Dips) for 3 sets of 8-15

Alternatively, you could shorten your workouts a great deal and switch to a tried methodology like StrongLifts 5x5 or Starting Strength.

Get your diet in check, lift weights, and do some cardio. Try to constantly improve in each of those things. Get lots of sleep and keep your stress levels in check.

Do all that and you can't help but see gains.