Heart Rate Monitor / Garmin / Fit Bit

Options
Good morning,

I was wondering if any of you might be able to offer some feedback as to what time of Heart Rate Monitor or electronic fitness device that you utilize.

I'm looking into purchasing something over the next few weeks, and have no idea where to start, or what the benefits are of certain brands or varieties.

I actually know nothing about them, so forgive my stupidity!

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Dawn

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    What are you expecting it to do? What are you trying to track? What type of exercise are you doing?
  • Chrissie_R
    Chrissie_R Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    i use a polar ft4 heart rate monitor, i've never had any problem with it
    it will give you calories burned, duration and also your average & max HR
    oh and the time! which is always handy lol
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4.

Love it. Bought one for my hubs too.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    If you don't know what they do, why are you looking to buy one?

Figure out what you want to do, then we can help you figure out the right gadget for it.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    A HRM is used only during exercise for measuring your heart rate and calorie burn. They're great for cardio activities but not for weight lifting or anything that doesn't cause a substantial increase in your heart rate. A Polar FT4 is a good buy for a beginner.

A Garmin HRM adds the feature of using GPS to track your runs, etc while giving you all the info of a HRM. Unless you do a lot of running or cycling it's probably not necessary and the GPS function usually won't work inside.

A FitBit is a glorified pedometer. It measures your calorie burn based on steps which is great if you don't do anything other than walking. It's not great for running or cycling but you can wear it 24/7 if you want to get some idea of your total daily calories burned. It measures based on your BMR plus additional movement but isn't monitoring your heart rate.