carbohidrate diet or protein diet?

Options
What is better, the low carbohidrate diet? or the low protein diet? please If you guys can help ?? Thanks :)

Replies

• Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    A balanced diet. You need carbs, you need protein, you need vitamins and minerals, iron and fiber. You need all of that stuff - just not too little of any one item and not too much of another.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Something like Atkins is a very low carb high protein diet
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    No diets. Diets are fads and don't work over an extended period of time. You need to maintain a balanced diet and get everything you need to feed your body. You can adjust your carbs and protein (and should) on the days you exercise, but don't go for one or the other. It's a bad idea.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I recently attended a nutritionist's lecture regarding protein. The outcome of the lecture is that a person should get 10%-35% of their calories from protein. And for those that do heavy resistance training not to get less than 0.8 grams per pound of body weight.
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    "Eat Food. Not a Lot. Mostly Plants." - Michael Pollan (from his book "Food Rules")

Don't get stuck on one of those fad diets. They are designed to ultimately fail, or the industry would lose a paying customer and that's bad for business.
    If you want this to be forever, then change your lifestyle. Eat smaller amounts of natural food, be more active, and find YOUR balance. You'll find all the support and encouragement you need here. Good luck.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    A balanced diet. You need carbs, you need protein, you need vitamins and minerals, iron and fiber. You need all of that stuff - just not too little of any one item and not too much of another.

I agree with this completely. I took up distance running last year and I need carbs to fuel my runs and protein to recover from them. Just try to stay with natural carbs like fruit and veggies. If you're trying to lose weight, cut back on the breads and pastas.
  • amboardman
    amboardman Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    No diets. Diets are fads and don't work over an extended period of time. You need to maintain a balanced diet and get everything you need to feed your body. You can adjust your carbs and protein (and should) on the days you exercise, but don't go for one or the other. It's a bad idea.

I agree. Neither "diet" is a healthy, long term way to lose weight and keep it off. That's what is so great about this site. It tells you how much you need of everything on a daily basis!
  • CaitlinEats
    CaitlinEats Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    "Eat Food. Not a Lot. Mostly Plants." - Michael Pollan (from his book "Food Rules")

This is one of my favorites! I try to eat this way as much as possible (which is often a lot of TRY and not a lot of DO...stupid cheese). :)