Making up ground, and breaking the barrier

Options
I joined MFP about 1.5 years ago with a goal to lose 50lbs. I am 5'4.5", yes, that 1/2 inch matters :), and started out at 180lbs. I made it down to 146, and then the weight just stopped coming off. I was really happy where I was though, I was feeling much healthier, and achieving my goals in running. I had kept the weight off for a year, and was successfully maintaining the high 140's. in November of this year, I completed my first 1/2 marathon! I'm totally stoked that I was able to accomplish such a great milestone, but in the process I injured my knee, and know haven't been able to run for five weeks. It's put me in a mild state of depression, and I am sad to say that I have gained back 10lbs. So now I am picking myself up, dusting my self off, and moving on. My question is, how do I start again, and how do I not only get back to my lowest weight, but break through that ceiling and reach my original goal? Do I start small again, like I did last time, or do I just jump right back in hardcore? Obviously, I want to make up my lost ground of 10 pounds as soon as possible, but if I jump in hardcore, will I just being setting myself up for failure?

Replies

• acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    You just start. Remember that 50 lbs. you lost? Aren't you glad that you aren't staring that in the face and only need to lose 10? You should be proud of yourself that you recognize the gain, and are ready to halt it. I guess on the exercise, you will need to test yourself progressively to see where you are, but you are still far ahead of where you were originally and you should be proud of your progress.:flowerforyou:
  • gatorvet01
    Options
    Exactly! Just start and baby step goals. How long do you want it to take to lose those 10 pounds and that will set how aggressive you are. If anyone can do it you can!