LENT!

Options

Replies

• hdelamore
    hdelamore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    i gave up chocolate and nearly had a hot chocolate today
    didnt put two and two together
    wasn't until after i'd bought it i remebered so gave it to my mum!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    How is everyone doing...5 full days down!!!

i am soooo missing facebook and all my 'online' friendships! i feel very out of the loop and tempted to cheat all the time. if i am not careful, i might fall into using mfp as a surrogate way to feel connected instead. it is a hard line to balance. i have replaced the time i spent on facebook focusing on a bible study, but i can not keep up a 3-hour daily bible study. i need to find something lasting.
    dawn

If possible find a womans weekly bible group (at least that's one day a week that you won't be tempted). Take some type of class, visit the elderly (they really LOVE having young people come visit them), volunteer at the humane society to walk dogs, take a hike or nature walk and reflect on God. The important thing is to focus on Him in the hours you used to spend on networking sites. You're strong, you can do it!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    How is everyone doing...5 full days down!!!

Doing great. I gave up alcohol (not that I was drinking much to begin with, so that hasn't been hard) and salty snacks-chips, pickles, ect (that's been more difficult-I do let myself eat salted nuts, roasted edamame, and pretzels).
  • areay22
    areay22 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    No sweets yet for me. I haven't had any cravings for it yet though.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    If possible find a womans weekly bible group (at least that's one day a week that you won't be tempted). Take some type of class, visit the elderly (they really LOVE having young people come visit them), volunteer at the humane society to walk dogs, take a hike or nature walk and reflect on God. The important thing is to focus on Him in the hours you used to spend on networking sites. You're strong, you can do it!

thanks. i do 2 bible study's a week (one monday mornings and one thursday mornings), i volunteer in my sons' classroom for 8 hours a week and volunteer at a the senior citizen's center 3 hours a week. i consider that part of my 'job' as a stay-at-home mom. i think i might start taking meals to the elderly in a 'meals on wheels'-type program, but i really want to find something that keeps me in the house. i spend enough time running around and need a downtime. :) thanks for the good ideas. i could definitely do more hiking to reflect on God's glory.
    dawn
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    ok i'm totally late but here goes:
    #1 I am giving up the snooze button I am an AWFUL snoozer, 5-6 times every morning, on the weekends I have all sorts of big plans to get things acomplished around the house and I snooze my alarm or shut it off an oversleep. I dont work out in the mornings because I snooze too many times. I will set ONE alarm and get up when it goes off!!!

#2 I am giving up getting take out for brekfast/lunch. I wont be oversleeping so I'll have plenty of time to make breakfast and I dont care if i leave my lunch at home, I keep extra food in the office so I shouldnt have that excuse. I waste a horendous amount of money on Panera & Arbys & Chipotle and I have a beach vacation to save up for!

hopefully between those two I can cut down on the extra money I spend, cut down on the extra calories I eat & workout more and get more acomplished at home.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options

thanks. i do 2 bible study's a week (one monday mornings and one thursday mornings), i volunteer in my sons' classroom for 8 hours a week and volunteer at a the senior citizen's center 3 hours a week. i consider that part of my 'job' as a stay-at-home mom. i think i might start taking meals to the elderly in a 'meals on wheels'-type program, but i really want to find something that keeps me in the house. i spend enough time running around and need a downtime. :) thanks for the good ideas. i could definitely do more hiking to reflect on God's glory.
    dawn

Also, do you have time to read? If so here's a link you might enjoy. This woman is one of my good friends and I'm sure that you could find a great book to read (she reviews promarily Christian fiction). She is also a SAHM.
    http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/226769
  • godblessourhome
    Options

dawn

Also, do you have time to read? If so here's a link you might enjoy. This woman is one of my good friends and I'm sure that you could find a great book to read (she reviews promarily Christian fiction). She is also a SAHM.
    http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/226769

i love to read! i am the owner of a book review site. i read a book a day (i'm a fast reader, a typical book takes about 3 - 3 1/2 hours) so i always need suggestions. i will go check out your friend! thanks!
  • godblessourhome
    Options
    #1 I am giving up the snooze button I am an AWFUL snoozer, 5-6 times every morning, on the weekends I have all sorts of big plans to get things acomplished around the house and I snooze my alarm or shut it off an oversleep. I dont work out in the mornings because I snooze too many times. I will set ONE alarm and get up when it goes off!!!

#2 I am giving up getting take out for brekfast/lunch. I wont be oversleeping so I'll have plenty of time to make breakfast and I dont care if i leave my lunch at home, I keep extra food in the office so I shouldnt have that excuse. I waste a horendous amount of money on Panera & Arbys & Chipotle and I have a beach vacation to save up for!

hopefully between those two I can cut down on the extra money I spend, cut down on the extra calories I eat & workout more and get more acomplished at home.

omigosh nikki, you're ambitious! good luck... you can do it!
  • Nikiki
    Options
    ooohhhhh I heart reading too :) I read for at least an hour a day, and several hours on the weekend. I do wish i read better books though. I like classics, really I do, I enjoy shakespear and all that. but I generally end up with a trashy chick lit or romance book instead :):)
  • Nikiki
    Options

omigosh nikki, you're ambitious! good luck... you can do it!
    [/quote

thank you!!!!!! :)
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    ooohhhhh I heart reading too :) I read for at least an hour a day, and several hours on the weekend. I do wish i read better books though. I like classics, really I do, I enjoy shakespear and all that. but I generally end up with a trashy chick lit or romance book instead :):)

Check out her link...Margaret is wonderful. Also the site in general is great (I'm on there all the time-I love goodreads.com)
  • dawguw2010
    Options
    I'm giving up all sweets/junk food. No chocolate, cookies, candy, cake, chips, ice cream (NOOO!!), anything that can be dessert. Also, no french fries, burgers only if I make them, and no fast food chicken strips. SO far so good, haven't slipped up yet. I usually allow myself to eat sugar free jello- I need some wiggle room and every diet I've ever been on swears by it, so I don't consider it junk food. ;) I'm making my boyfriend do the same thing- he's my enabler, and overweight himself, so this way we are reminding each other not to eat the junk food/sweets, and when we go out, we both know we can't have them so we don't order them. Granted, I'm not with him all the time every day, but we are still trying to be accountable to each other.

PB addicts ===> ME TOO. LOVE PB TOTALLY ADDICTED. I eat it with one apple, or my one serving of counted crackers, but then find myself eating it off the spoon because the apple/crackers are gone. Its a bad habit. IF its a sugar craving issue for some of you, which it was at one point for me, switch to the natural PB with no sugar. It doesn't make your blood sugar go crazy and I do feel fuller eating that one. Try that. Good luck.
  • godblessourhome
    Options

trashy chick lit and romance is the only way to go! :D they are written by really smart women!

maid, i like goodreads too. have you hear of www.paperbackswap.com? great place for swapping books for only the cost of postage.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I am giving up cursing. It has become a nasty habit, one done so casually it is ridiculous. The first day I said 7 curse words, the 2nd I said 2, then over the weekend I said none. Then today during an exam I said one :( However, I am making progress. I think before I speak and am becoming more aware of what comes out of my lips. It has subsequently helped with my road rage :bigsmile:

I'm not only giving this up for Lent, but for life!!! Good luck everyone!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options

trashy chick lit and romance is the only way to go! :D they are written by really smart women!

maid, i like goodreads too. have you hear of www.paperbackswap.com? great place for swapping books for only the cost of postage.

Yes...I've used them in the past...my fave though is betterworldbooks.com Granted I do buy the books on that site but the money goes to a great cause- literacy in foreign countries.
  • aerobicgirl
    aerobicgirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    so far just white bread actually the only bread i have eaten is the orowheat sandwich thins/ and im thinking of sweets also this weekend i was bad so as of today i am adding sweets//ap
  • Nikiki
    Options

Check out her link...Margaret is wonderful. Also the site in general is great (I'm on there all the time-I love goodreads.com)

I'll have to check it out when I get home, my office computer blocks so many sites, and apparently thats one of them. I need a new series to read while I'm waiting for some of my favorite authors to come out with new books. Patricia Briggs should have a new one out next month yay!
  • supercool111
    Options
    I sort of slipped up a little the other day when I had a little bit of butter on my toast but other than that I've had no dairy and I don't crave it. I'm totally fine with soy milk!
  • Nikiki
    Options
    I sort of slipped up a little the other day when I had a little bit of butter on my toast but other than that I've had no dairy and I don't crave it. I'm totally fine with soy milk!

Just curious, what made you give up dairy? is it just a lenten "i love this so I'm sacraficing it" thing or is a health related decision?