Healthy food substutions.....what are your go to things?

Options
For me I have a few habits I have changed for healthier options..and realized I don't even miss the old version anymore...

Do you have anything like that?

For me I have switched my coffee with extra cream and extra sugar for black coffee with only 1/2 teaspoon of sugar

My other is switching from regular to greek yogurt...I am an ADDICT now...love it.

What have you switched for the better?

Replies

• iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    One thing I switched was not consuming so many foods marketed as being low fat/healthy foods. First of all I realized through tracking that I was not getting nearly enough good fats/oils in my diet. Hence lots of problems including dry hair, skin, nails, digestive problems etc.

Also with the "low fat" foods I assumed the calories were always much less too. Tracking and reading labels made me realize that's not the case a lot of times and often more sugar is added to the marketed low fat foods. And sometimes they aren't even that much lower in fat than the regular version.

So I've gone more toward less sugar consumption than lower fat consumption. Though I still watch my fat.

I've also switched to eating lower calorie, whole grain bread and whole wheat pasta. And I eat a lot more protein & dairy than I used to.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt is a great sub for sour cream. :smile:
  • iamkarent
    iamkarent Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt is a great sub for sour cream. :smile:

AHHH...yes we do this! I use in dip for the kids baby carrots now and they are none the wiser!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I used to eat pasta all the time, but now I use spaghetti squash in its place and I love it. I still have regular pasta every now and then but I don't have cravings for it like I used to.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I switched soda for carbonated water and home made tea. I always pick the no sodium, no sugar, no artificial sweetners added stuff. It's just flavored water and it's yum.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I stopped putting cream in my coffee. Except on Sundays. It's my once-a-week treat. Substituting dark chocolate morsels for milk chocolate in cookies--that counts, right? Right?