Cole Slaw

Options
nisijam5
nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
I want to make some version of cole slaw that is a bit healthier than the tradional.

I will be using on a sandwich/wrap with:

pulled pork, BBQ sauce, jalenpenos and couple of bake onion rings. I'm thinking I may just use plain slaw as the BBQ sauce may be enough

Would also like to use for fish tacos as well:

Does anyone have any good ideas?

Replies

• mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    Yes! my husbands grandmother made a delicious vinegar based cole slaw. I believe I found it on foodnetwork.com

It was something like apple cider vinegar (or red wine vin.) some honey, red bell pepper, celery seed, salt, pepper, cumin. I can't find the actual recipe!! But here's one by Rachel Ray

1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    2 tablespoons sugar
    2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil, eyeball it
    1 sack, 16 ounces, shredded cabbage mix for slaw salads
    1 teaspoon salt
    Salt and pepper

I'd go w/ peanut oil, more flavor or a really good evoo (nice and fruity) this is a nice base and then you can add more flavors of your own, or break it off into 2, 1 more for the pulled pork and the 1 for th fish tacos and you can flavor the 2 halves as you want!

Good luck!
  • nisijam5
    Options
    Thanks Jessica, I'll have to give it a try...the mayo is what I was trying to reduce
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I use miracle whip. - it has a tang to it, and is very low cal.... hth....
  • sheltieroger
    sheltieroger Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I typically like a sweeter slaw....made one the other day with about 1/2C pineapple-orange juice, dill, 2 tbsp light Miracle whip, salt and pepper and 1/8 C raisins and about 1/2 bag of slaw mix. I didn't log it as a recipe, so couldn't tell you the exact calorie per serving, but it was really yummy. Probably wouldn't do much for the pulled pork, but would be good for fish tacos
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I typically like a sweeter slaw....made one the other day with about 1/2C pineapple-orange juice, dill, 2 tbsp light Miracle whip, salt and pepper and 1/8 C raisins and about 1/2 bag of slaw mix. I didn't log it as a recipe, so couldn't tell you the exact calorie per serving, but it was really yummy. Probably wouldn't do much for the pulled pork, but would be good for fish tacos

MMM that's sounds delicious, and it would be very good with pulled pork with the pinapple!!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Bolthouse Farms makes a relatively healthy cole slaw dressing- you can check it out at bolthouse.com. Their dressings are the only ones I buy- they're low in calories and low in sodium. You can find them in the refrigerated section of the produce department (near the bagged salads). Enjoy! :flowerforyou:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I want to make some version of cole slaw that is a bit healthier than the tradional.

I will be using on a sandwich/wrap with:

pulled pork, BBQ sauce, jalenpenos and couple of bake onion rings. I'm thinking I may just use plain slaw as the BBQ sauce may be enough

Would also like to use for fish tacos as well:

Does anyone have any good ideas?

Shredded Broccoli in the bags was great when we made Broccoli slaw the other day with the recipe on the back of the pkg.
  • nisijam5
    Options

MMM that's sounds delicious, and it would be very good with pulled pork with the pinapple!!

That's sound great for the summer!!!
  • nisijam5
    Options
    Bolthouse Farms makes a relatively healthy cole slaw dressing- you can check it out at bolthouse.com. Their dressings are the only ones I buy- they're low in calories and low in sodium. You can find them in the refrigerated section of the produce department (near the bagged salads). Enjoy! :flowerforyou:

That's a super quick and easy one...I like Bolthouse as well...I find it to be a quality product and didn't even think of a premade dressing since I like all natural products(if possible)
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options

That's a super quick and easy one...I like Bolthouse as well...I find it to be a quality product and didn't even think of a premade dressing since I like all natural products(if possible)

Me too- I feel like a spokesperson for Bolthouse :laugh: I think it's absolutely amazing- taste-wise and nutritionally and I feel like no one knows about it! They're also relative natural, so I LOVE their dressings! :love:
  • sheltieroger
    sheltieroger Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    It's funny, but I used to equate coleslaw with creamy-mayonaissey/miracle whippy goodness, and found that with the pineapple juice as the main wetting agent, it was really good!!

I have never seen Bolthouse products, but I will keep an eye out!
  • toulouse
    Options
    If I still want it creamy but low cal I use fat free sour cream instead of mayo, then you dont need as much vinigar because it has a slight tang then I grate in a clove or two of garlic, salt and pepper...Delish!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    The best part of coleslaw is that if you find the right 'version' for yourself, you can basically eat the crap out of it and it's extremely diet-friendly - it also is a great 'filler' if you are low on your allowed calories and are still hungry. Also CHEAP $$ wise - so a good value.

Last year, I planted 8 heads and literally SWAM in cabbage/coleslaw for 3 months!!!

Toulouse - your version sounds yummy.