opinions on P90X or Insanity

Options
I am thinking about starting either P90X or Insanity. I am over weight and out of shape and look nothing like the "before" photos on each of the two infomercial's. It seems like those programs are targeted more to people that are just a little out of shape that want to become shredded. What are your opinions on the programs?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Both are better than being a lazy slug. The degree to which they are good fits for you personally depends on your preferences and goals.
  • tikkathyme
    tikkathyme Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I tried P90X when I was simply out of shape, not overweight. I did it for a week and was so destroyed that I didn't continue. In my experience it's probably better to get yourself into a bit better shape first, and then start P90X or Insanity.
  • motogsp
    motogsp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing insanity and when I started I was 50lbs over my goal of 190. All my weight was in my belly and it was tough to do some of the exercises but I did what I could. I could barely tie my sneaker in the morning and now it is no problem. I have made huge strides in the 3 and half weeks of doing insanity. I really love the program.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Personally I opted to do INSANITY over P90X, but I can see P90X in my future. My immediate goals were more cardio-focused and that seemed like a better fit for me.

If you feel that you're currently pretty out of shape, you'll probably feel done after just the INSANITY warm up - so my advice is to take as many breaks as you need during the workout and resume as soon as you can. You won't be able to keep up with all of the people in the video (they can't even keep up), but that's OK - just do what YOU can do and you will see improvement if you keep at it. You could also consider starting with a program to get yourself a bit more ready, such as Jillian Michales' 30 Day Shred.
  • tikkathyme
    tikkathyme Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Personally I opted to do INSANITY over P90X, but I can see P90X in my future. My immediate goals were more cardio-focused and that seemed like a better fit for me.

If you feel that you're currently pretty out of shape, you'll probably feel done after just the INSANITY warm up - so my advice is to take as many breaks as you need during the workout and resume as soon as you can. You won't be able to keep up with all of the people in the video (they can't even keep up), but that's OK - just do what YOU can do and you will see improvement if you keep at it. You could also consider starting with a program to get yourself a bit more ready, such as Jillian Michales' 30 Day Shred.

Great idea to start out with 30 Day Shred or something similar. You'll still get a great workout and set yourself up to have more success with either Insanity or P90X. 30 Day Shred is also $10 for the DVD or you can do the first level from YouTube for free!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I just started Insanity yesterday -- the fit test and I'm looking forward to continuing. It really depends on which one you want to do. P90X you need a little bit of equipment which is why I chose not to do it. I wanted to continue going to the gym during the time that I was doing the program and do my weights. Insanity is more cardio based which works better for me.

With regards to your weight and not looking like the "before" pictures on the infomercials . . . . big deal. While the workouts ARE intense (not going to lie to you there. The fit test was fairly difficult and if that's a precursor to what's to come then it's going to be insane) it's up to you to do what you can. The main thing though is that if you have any joint issues, bad knees, bad back, bad neck, or shoulders then you shouldn't do the workout because it will only exasperate the condition and possibly make it worse. If you don't you still have to be cognizant of how you land and the placement of your knees and your posture so you don't get any injury.

IF it's something that you think you can do then try it. I have heard that they have a sample of the workouts on youtube but I haven't checked.
  • drmryder
    drmryder Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    P90X has alternative easier options when it comes to the cardio portions of the workouts. The weight lifting portion is on you to be lifting what you can and increasing your weights when you can. The push ups, do them on your knees until you get stronger. The pull ups, get a resistance band and do lat pull downs first. As you get stronger and the weight starts to melt off of you, you can change to pull ups. Don't pay attention to the pictures, you will have to do this program as many times as you want until you see the results you want.

Insanity is a lot of cardio with lunges and alot of push ups. Go at it as low intensity to start. No one is saying that you can't do the push ups on your knees or step through the routines instead of jumping around like a rabbit. You may have to go through the program 3 times, but each time, you will get stronger and faster. The next thing you know, you will be jumping right along with them.

Both programs are intense in different ways and they both are the kind that you do what you can, but keep pushing play.

Edited to add that I did P90X twice and Insantiy once. I am now do a hybrid that is incorporating both.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I've been through most of the Insanity program (twice) and have done the synergy and cardioX from P90X. Insanity is definitely higher intensity for me. I do quite a few modified moves because A) I'm not that in shape yet and B) I have crappy knees. I noticed my second attempt at Insanity I was able to increase my intensity. I agree with the early comment that trying is definitely better than doing nothing.
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    Both coaches are great motivators, so you'll be excited and moving even if you don't nail the movements exactly. The only issue is that those are not programs you can stick to for years like hiking, running, weights, or organized sports. The programs are great primers for moving on to something more lifelong.
  • dalehall64
    dalehall64 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, it depends on what you want to accomplish in the near future.. If you want to lose weight and get in shape, then, I would think Insanity is the way to go. If you want to get in shape, build muscle and bulk up (to an extent) then P90X is the way you should go. That's the way I've always explained the two programs.. One (Insanity) is more cardio based for weight loss and toning, the other (P90X) is heavier on the strength training and muscle building.

We have P90X, Insanity, 10 Minute Trainer, Les Mills Pump, Les Mills Combat and some other non-Beachbody programs. Out of all of them, I did like the fact that Insanity uses no equipment. That was a huge selling point for me. Insanity is my #1 choice of program, but I also need to add that Les Mills Combat is freakin' amazing too for cardio.. Just throwing that out there..
    Good luck on whatever you decide to do!!