any success with eating TDEE - 20%

Replies

• 2BhappyBhealthy
    2BhappyBhealthy Posts: 181 Member
    Like others have stated, YES - IT WORKS. You will no longer feel hungry or deprived. I also did not used to eat enough - did gain a little in the beginning - but things pretty immediately balanced out. I do sometimes have to "force myself to eat" which is a very very weird concept for me but amazingly enough, I always wake up hungry and feeling so strong and tight! I keep telling my friend - "I'm a BEAST now! hahaha" .. I also am not cold like I used to always be. It's amazing the difference I feel now. I highly recommend making the switch.
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    I was eating up to 1600 a day, and the scale didn't budge for 2 months. I decided to up it a bit more because I like food and I read so many articles on eating more to lose weight.. So I upped to 1900, and I started losing immediately. I also upped my exercise. I lost 5 pounds in 2 weeks. I haven;t lost anything since though because I've been eating like a pig lately due to holiday treats and whatnot, so Im just trying to somewhat maintain. Once the holidays are over though, back to the TDEE -15% and lots of weights and tennis!

Good luck and Happy Holidays!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Yep it works.

I was also miserable on the 1200 calorie plan. Bumped to 1400-1500 and was still miserable. I was tired, my hair started falling out, I hit a wall during most of my workouts.

Doing TDEE-20% has allowed me to continue to lose weight, eat in moderation, and to have the energy to exercise.
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Perhaps I was doing something wrong, but I gained 11 lbs when I tried this. I made an effort at the gym, and also decreased my carb intake...I reduced my caloric intake again, changed my gym routine and have started losing again.

I can see your point. It is scary enough to start eating more than your used to but to gain 11lbs . That would do it for me as well. I have just started to "eat back" my calories which puts me eating higher amounts and I stress every day about am I doing the right thing. I would say 11 lbs is more than a good try.
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Yes, it works! I did yo-yo dieting for years, and was netting way under 1200 calories for the better part of this year after I joined MFP. I felt so much better after I started eating at my TDEE (and I went - 15% for cutting because I didn't have much to lose) and I broke my plateau. I didn't weigh myself until 3-4 weeks after I started, so I'm not sure if I gained temporarily—but recently I'm learning that body composition (% of fat to % of lean body mass) is WAY more important than just the number on the scale. So many years of yo-yoing, and my LBM is shot.... replaced with fat in all the wrong places :( So, I recommend jumping on the TDEE train ASAP so you don't sacrifice any more of that precious muscle, and start incorporating strength training. That's what will truly shape your body and help you reach your goal! :)

Good for you for ditching the 1200 diet!!! :)
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Me!! I've been eating ata TDEE-20% with great results :)

beforeduring_zpsb720222f.jpg

You may have to right click the pic and hit view image/open image in new tab to see the whole thing.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Yes - great success! I am nearly to my goal weight, so don't see much difference on the scale, but who cares - I'm losing FAT and inches while eating 1700+ calories a day. :smile:
  • dianefisher47
    dianefisher47 Posts: 234 Member
    see below my question
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    did you eat your exercise calories also...like tdee - 20% and eat exercise calories on top of that

TDEE already includes exercise calories. They are factored in.
  • dianefisher47
    I am starting TDEE - 20% today really scared, cause I will eat more than I normally would. I am 5'1'' and 65 have not lost in a long time...just up and down all the time. I am hoping to start losing again, I do 30 mins exercise everyday. Give me your idea on this:drinker:

should I eat my exercise also.....eat tdee - 20% and exercise calories also ?????
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    I do not factor in any exercise, I work out 5 days a week but never log it. Dan says not to eat them back so I don't!
  • dianefisher47
    ok thank you to all I do appreciate your comments :blushing: :drinker:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    if all of your numbers are accurate it will be impossible NOT to lose weight eating TDEE - 20%
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    My TDEE is about 2600. Yes, I lose weight if I eat around 2000.

IF you calculated your TDEE including your exercise calories than you don't need to eat them later. MFP doesn't count the calories into their maintenance.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Perhaps I was doing something wrong, but I gained 11 lbs when I tried this. I made an effort at the gym, and also decreased my carb intake...I reduced my caloric intake again, changed my gym routine and have started losing again.

You didn't do it for long enough for your body to reset your metabolism.

She could have... ive not been able to Lose weight at Tdee -20 either. when I eat more than 1500 or so I dont lose. Those Calculations are no perfect for everyone, just like Max heart rate Calculations are not perfect for everyone. To OP... go for it' Many many people are Successful!!
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member

You didn't do it for long enough for your body to reset your metabolism.

She could have... ive not been able to Lose weight at Tdee -20 either. when I eat more than 1500 or so I dont lose. Those Calculations are no perfect for everyone, just like Max heart rate Calculations are not perfect for everyone. To OP... go for it' Many many people are Successful!!

I agree. Give it a try. I tried it for 6 months last year and I gained and lost the same 6lbs over and over again.
  • cncrafton
    cncrafton Posts: 82 Member
    Yep. 25 pounds worth of success. :)
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    I am starting TDEE - 20% today really scared, cause I will eat more than I normally would. I am 5'1'' and 65 have not lost in a long time...just up and down all the time. I am hoping to start losing again, I do 30 mins exercise everyday. Give me your idea on this:drinker:

should I eat my exercise also.....eat tdee - 20% and exercise calories also ?????

No - your TDEE already includes your exercise. Just be honest about your activity level when you calculate your TDEE. Don't sell yourself short.
  • naticksdonna
    naticksdonna Posts: 192 Member
    Bump
  • bgtorres
    bgtorres Posts: 186 Member
    I just started this last week and have gained lbs. ,but I'm sure is due to my body adjusting. I must say that I feel a lot better than eating 1200-1500 calories. I feel energy and no more hunger pains;)