Is Ground Turkey really that good for you?

Options

Replies

• TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Use a leaner ground turkey. Jeannie-O ground turkey (93/7, I think) is 160 calories for 4 oz.

^^^^ This. I cook with it all the time. Haven't cooked with ground beef in over 20 years.
  • idream2bgwen
    idream2bgwen Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I get the 97/3 ground turkey not in the tube. I also cook and drain the grease and rinse the meat. I also have noticed that the premade taco seasoning is a bit high on the sodium side of things so I have some great pampered chef seasonings that I use that aren't as high. Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Taco seasoning made at home takes about one minute to make, tastes fresher and more vivid, and doesn't contain MSG. Okay that's fine if you can get taco seasoning without dubious ingredients, but last time I went to the store, both Old El Paso and Ortega listed Monosodium Glutamate for all their taco seasoning products. You might want to look again just in case.

Anyway, turkey is a lean meat, I agree it tastes good in certain contexts. In others, you may not enjoy the "gumminess" of the texture. Is it healthier for you than red meat? Yes, if you have a problem with cholesterol or saturated fat. Or if the difference in calories is significant to you (low calorie does not always mean healthier). I do sometimes replace beef with turkey, if it tastes good, but since I don't eat a lot of saturated fat and my cholesterol is not problematic, it's not really a huge concern
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Taco seasoning made at home takes about one minute to make, tastes fresher and more vivid, and doesn't contain MSG. Okay that's fine if you can get taco seasoning with it, but last time I went to the store, both Old El Paso and Ortega listed Monosodium Glutamate for all their taco seasoning products. You might want to look again just in case

No MSG on my grocery store brand taco seasoning.
  • secretlobster
    Options

Do you mind sharing the brand? I don't know if anything local to me has their own store brand
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Taco seasoning made at home takes about one minute to make, tastes fresher and more vivid, and doesn't contain MSG. Okay that's fine if you can get taco seasoning without dubious ingredients, but last time I went to the store, both Old El Paso and Ortega listed Monosodium Glutamate for all their taco seasoning products. You might want to look again just in case.

Anyway, turkey is a lean meat, I agree it tastes good in certain contexts. In others, you may not enjoy the "gumminess" of the texture. Is it healthier for you than red meat? Yes, if you have a problem with cholesterol or saturated fat. Or if the difference in calories is significant to you (low calorie does not always mean healthier). I do sometimes replace beef with turkey, if it tastes good, but since I don't eat a lot of saturated fat and my cholesterol is not problematic, it's not really a huge concern

What is wrong with MSG?
  • Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Jeez a lot of hate on the homemade seasoning lol. I'm not going to go out and find a packet with 'junk' in it, but yeah, they are out there and making your own is easy. If you don't want to, don't! JUST a SUGGESTION!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

What is wrong with MSG?
    Er, it has MSG in it. :wink:
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Taco seasoning made at home takes about one minute to make, tastes fresher and more vivid, and doesn't contain MSG. Okay that's fine if you can get taco seasoning with it, but last time I went to the store, both Old El Paso and Ortega listed Monosodium Glutamate for all their taco seasoning products. You might want to look again just in case

Hope you're not using lettuce
  • JustJennie1
    Options

Do you mind sharing the brand? I don't know if anything local to me has their own store brand

I don't know where you're from but it's a local store that's in Massachusetts and Connecticut: Big Y is the name/brand of the stuff. They actually make quite a few things that don't have added crap in it. I read and compare labels on everything that I buy for the added garbage.
  • secretlobster
    Options

I don't know where you're from but it's a local store that's in Massachusetts and Connecticut: Big Y is the name/brand of the stuff. They actually make quite a few things that don't have added crap in it. I read and compare labels on everything that I buy for the added garbage.

I live in CT but we don't have a big Y anywhere nearby :( Small world though!
  • JustJennie1
    Options

I live in CT but we don't have a big Y anywhere nearby :( Small world though!

Too bad. I LOVE that store!
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I love ground turkey and I usually purchase the very lean stuff. I make turkey patties all the time. YUM :smile:

23087067.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Calorie count is not an indication of whether a food is healthy or not.

Actually, no single food is healthy or unhealthy. Your overall diet is healthy or not.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options

Actually, no single food is healthy or unhealthy. Your overall diet is healthy or not.

this^^

I eat more fat now than ever, bacon, red meat, avocados, nuts, and lost weight ,not gained...
  • hipsdontlie1
    hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Butterball ground turkey does not sound like a good choice. Get something leaner... and not in a tube.... Butterball regular turkeys are injected with butter, you can literally see the little holes on the turkey where they injected it, before you cook it........ so I'd assume it was the same case for the ground turkey.
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options

Agreed (except for sugar IMO... I see little nutritional benefit in the cup of caramel corn I ate last night!). But if you ARE watching your calories, like many of us are, is there any benefit to eating a higher-fat (and higher calorie) meat instead of a low-fat, low-calorie version?
  • JustJennie1
    Options
    Butterball ground turkey does not sound like a good choice. Get something leaner... and not in a tube.... Butterball regular turkeys are injected with butter, you can literally see the little holes on the turkey where they injected it, before you cook it........ so I'd assume it was the same case for the ground turkey.

Um, no they're not.
  • jl300
    jl300 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    get ground turkey breast. Or just look for extra lean beef.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Ground turkey is disgusting. Have you seen what ends up in there?

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/FACTSheets/Ground_Poultry_and_Food_Safety/index.asp

Why not use lean, whole meats in your tacos? Diced or shredded chicken, pork, beef, and even turkey if that's what you're really after? At least then you know what you're getting.