Please help me define "Breakfast"

Options
Another post got me thinking about my metabolism and I have a question, when SHOULD breakfast be eaten?

I get myself up at 6:20-6:40am (love that SNOOZE button!). I get myself ready and then wake my two girls, 3 1/2 and 1 1/2 and get them ready. I'm out the door at 7:30am. That first hour, I have NO desire to eat.

Between 7:30 - 8am I'm walking the girls over to the babysitter and then walking to my commuter train.

So, my first food of the morning (usually an orange) is at 8am on my train. I then like to sleep for the rest of the trip :)

My next food is usually at 10am,once I've settled into work etc., a bowl of cream of wheat and another orange. I eat lunch at 1pm.

Do you think this is "ok"? I want to give myself the best chance at this so I'm coming to you, the experts :) If I know there is a "better way", I know I can train my brain to change these habits - and want to do so!

Thanks!

Replies

• karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Another post got me thinking about my metabolism and I have a question, when SHOULD breakfast be eaten?

I get myself up at 6:20-6:40am (love that SNOOZE button!). I get myself ready and then wake my two girls, 3 1/2 and 1 1/2 and get them ready. I'm out the door at 7:30am. That first hour, I have NO desire to eat.

Between 7:30 - 8am I'm walking the girls over to the babysitter and then walking to my commuter train.

So, my first food of the morning (usually an orange) is at 8am on my train. I then like to sleep for the rest of the trip :)

My next food is usually at 10am,once I've settled into work etc., a bowl of cream of wheat and another orange. I eat lunch at 1pm.

Do you think this is "ok"? I want to give myself the best chance at this so I'm coming to you, the experts :) If I know there is a "better way", I know I can train my brain to change these habits - and want to do so!

Thanks!

I used to say the same thing...the thought of breakfast turned my stomach.

And when I did eat it, I really did feel sick. Then my little (skinny, and muscular little) brother asked me if I felt the same way on the weekends? No, I responded. He said, "Its not that breakfast makes you sick, its that you are rushing through everything in the morning with the boys and you. You dont have time to eat so it doesnt get you sick!" He was right! I stopped hitting my snooze button and made breakfast like I do on the weekends-slow, filling, enjoyable. and now I eat breakfast every morning! I actually cant wait for it now!
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I ate my breakfast within the first hour of waking up... I also drink a glass of water right away in the morning (before my coffee). I used to ahve issues w/ breakfast as well, but when i was pregnant I HAD to eat breakfast or it would be the opposite.. so I guess I got lucky with the chain of events.
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Pop the snooze button off your clock. You need to get your body some energy for all that moving you're doing in the morning, and not just an orange over an hour later. Give yourself just 15-20 extra minutes and you'll be happy with the results.
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Pop the snooze button off your clock. You need to get your body some energy for all that moving you're doing in the morning, and not just an orange over an hour later. Give yourself just 15-20 extra minutes and you'll be happy with the results.

Well said!

You are soooo worth those 20 minutes, Mom!
  • nroesler
    Options
    Breakfast "should" be eaten within the first 2 hours after waking. My trainer at the gym has me eating within 20 minutes of waking up. So in short, the sooner you can eat the better! Like it's been suggested above, you could skip the snooze and make a meal or if that is too much for you, try having the orange earlier (while you are putting on makeup for example). What I used to eat first thing in the morning when I had little time and didn't really feel like it is Carnation Instant Breakfast. It's not a real long term solution but it can change the way you think about breakfast now so that you may actually like it soon. Try some different foods (toast, a muffin etc) and find something you like to eat.

Good luck!
  • gummibaehr
    Options
    I eat as soon as I get up because I'm always starving! I also can't shake my sleepiness until I've eaten.
  • beqy12
    beqy12 Posts: 569
    Options
    I am a snooze button-er, too. There's never anytime for breakfast. I usually get a shower and then go right to the kitchen and put some PB on two rice cakes and throw some raisins on top. This is perfect for me because it's portable... and I take bites as I get ready. I'm not sure this is the best idea, but MFP taught me to get breakfast and get it early, so this is where I've found myself.
  • mama22girlz
    Options
    ha we are sooo alike.. no wonder were friends :wink: I either hit snooze or lie in bed with the girls, while I nurse the little one and relax. then I get them downstairs and make breakfast for them and sometimes for myself. Some mornings though its 11:00am before I even think of breakfast (for myself that is the kids always eat in the morning). But I also tend to eat lunch late too at around 1:30 pm when the girls go down for their naps so I can relax and enjoy it. From most of the answers though it seems we both need to get our butts in gear in the mornings.

I was going to try to get up a half hour early and do my Jillian Michaels 30 day burn workout before the kids get up but I couldn't imagine eating right before doing that. Would it be so bad to eat after??
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    If you know me, you know how much I LOVE sleep, but I love the higher energy levels I'm already feeling, so if I have to get my butt up earlier to eat - I WILL!

Thank you all for your responses!!! It's going to help - both Kim and I ;) We have to eat sooner girl!!!
  • ScarletTarah
    ScarletTarah Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Mama22girlz you said something that hit me
    " though its 11:00am before I even think of breakfast (for myself that is the kids always eat in the morning). "
    "The kids always eat in the morning" that is so true we often do the right things for the children and never think that it is also the right thing for us. I never used to eat breakfast ok not never but rarely, and now that I do, I have more energy and all I eat is cereal, How many times do we look at the kids running around and say I wish i had their energy, but then we don't fuel ourselves with the food to have it like we do our children.

as for the original thread I eat a bowl of cereal and my kids mostly eat waffles w/ a strip of bacon and we eat at the same time to start the day off, and what they don't finish I throw immediately in the trash so not to be tempted.

and I have said this before since I changed our eatting habits we all wake up early even my kids are up an hour before they need to be, the energy in my house is electric and I owe it all to this new way of eatting and thinking one more side note then I swear I'll shut up, my kids have also become better behaved do i think it's the food yes, partly we are not loaded down with junk and grease we don't feel heavy and sick are moods have improved greatly. your dd is beautiful!
  • Rebecca__Lynn
    Options
    I'm an early morning eater tooooo.....right after shower and I'm starving!! Breakfast is my most fave meal of the day too....so it's kind of a priority for me....never had the shoe on the other foot....I've just always heard better to eat first thing...get your metabolism up and rolling for the days activities.