Rolling out your muscles with The Stick or a Foam Roller

Options
I have a device called "The Stick". You use it after workouts to roll out or massage your muscles. It feels wonderful. But, it didn't really come with directions on how best to use it. I also have a large blue foam roller which is supposed to be great for massaging your whole body, and especially your IT band. I'll post pictures of both below if you aren't familiar with them or just to clarify what I'm talking about. So, I'm wondering if anyone has any specific suggestions on how they would use them. Would you roll smaller muscles first then bigger or vice versa? Would you roll in one direction (e.g. down the muscle or up the muscle only) or would you rock and roll back and forth. How do you use the foam roller without throwing something out of joint or falling off? LOL Are there specifically effective techniques and routines you do with it? I have had a lot of problems with my left piraformas and so would like to work and soothe it out when possible. Also, with all the hiking I do, my calves get really ticked off. Supposedly using these products not only massages them and makes them feel better, more limber, it also works like a "toothbrush" to get the toxins out of the muscles. That may be nonsense, but it sounds good, if true. <g> So, advice, tips, tricks, routines, videos, pictures, input.... PLEASE? Here are the pictures:

pat-materna.jpg

Stretching-With-A-Foam-Roller-500x269.jpg

Replies

• kenhelms17720
    Options
    I use both, especially The Stick. I think I have the marathon edition maybe.

Personally I use it up and down, about 30 passes for each muscle group.
    Works super well.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,232 Member
    Options
    If you have piriformis issues, you might be better off using a tennis ball (sit on it and roll around-when u hit a spot that makes you want to jump off the ball, sit there for a while). My foam roller is a dog toy-I couldn't handle the pain-so I have nothing to offer on that, but the tennis ball works great for the butt.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I have a Rumble Roller. Bought it at Amazon. I have the "more intense" gray one. Use it primarily on my calves, quads and IT band. OUCH! but in a good way :)
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I have a Trigger Point roller as well as their ball thingy (forgot the name of it). I use the roller both pre and post workout to roll overactive/tight muscles. Proper use is to roll over the muscle for a bit then find a tender spot and hold it for 30 seconds. Yes, it's painful but with persistance it does loosen up tight muscles. It's referred to as self myofascial release (SMR)

I use the ball thingy for my traps and shoulders as they're hard to isolate with the roller. I use it against a wall and it really does work great to get the kinks out.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I use both, especially The Stick. I think I have the marathon edition maybe.

Personally I use it up and down, about 30 passes for each muscle group.
    Works super well.
    Do you do the muscles in any particular order? Smaller then larger or vice versa?
    If you have piriformis issues, you might be better off using a tennis ball (sit on it and roll around-when u hit a spot that makes you want to jump off the ball, sit there for a while). My foam roller is a dog toy-I couldn't handle the pain-so I have nothing to offer on that, but the tennis ball works great for the butt.
    I did try that. <g> But then these were suggested to work the entire muscle groups including the IT Band which may feed into the piraformas... so I'm giving it a go. Hmmm.
    I have a Rumble Roller. Bought it at Amazon. I have the "more intense" gray one. Use it primarily on my calves, quads and IT band. OUCH! but in a good way :)
    How do you use yours? Do you have a specific routine or way that you balance and roll on it?
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I have a Trigger Point roller as well as their ball thingy (forgot the name of it). I use the roller both pre and post workout to roll overactive/tight muscles. Proper use is to roll over the muscle for a bit then find a tender spot and hold it for 30 seconds. Yes, it's painful but with persistance it does loosen up tight muscles. It's referred to as self myofascial release (SMR)

I use the ball thingy for my traps and shoulders as they're hard to isolate with the roller. I use it against a wall and it really does work great to get the kinks out.
    I hadn't thought to try it before a workout, but I will. I assume you just roll the ball around like I do a tennis ball under my butt muscle? I could try that.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I hadn't thought to try it before a workout, but I will. I assume you just roll the ball around like I do a tennis ball under my butt muscle? I could try that.
    Yes, just as VitaminDDD said in her post. Basically - roll and hold.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I have to foam roll my IT band (side of thigh) a couple times a week. It gets tight and then my knee starts hurting. I do it basically like that picture. It was pretty painful to do when I first started, but my knee felt so much better that I kept it up. I have built up a tolerance for it I guess. Doesn't hurt at all now. Feels good in fact.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I have to foam roll my IT band (side of thigh) a couple times a week. It gets tight and then my knee starts hurting. I do it basically like that picture. It was pretty painful to do when I first started, but my knee felt so much better that I kept it up. I have built up a tolerance for it I guess. Doesn't hurt at all now. Feels good in fact.

I would MUCH rather be massaged by a human than a piece of foam. Well - wouldn't you?
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,232 Member
    Options

I would MUCH rather be massaged by a human than a piece of foam. Well - wouldn't you?

Yep-that's how I fixed my foam roller pain issues-and the dogs got another toy to fight over. I'll take my massage guy over a hunk of foam any day (plus he does a better job and doesn't hurt anywhere near as much). I guess that's not totally fair, I'm too much of a wuss for the foam roller, so I really don't know what kind of job it does. But since I can't handle it, I guess for me, massage from a person definitely works better.
  • harlanJEN
    Options
    Yes! There are ways to balance yourself on it ...not difficult , but IT band is tricky ( and for me VERY ouchy) . instructions come with Rumble Roller.

Basically , you lie on it under your calves, find a knot , relax and leave it there , let the "knubs' work out / release the knot. Keep rolling calves on it ..finding other knots. for hams ...move roller up with you on top of roller. Quads you lie down on top of roller. IT band is a balancing act. Lie sideways ..kind of like a side plank with the roller under you. Glutes, you sit on it.
  • harlanJEN
    Options

EXACTLY !! My knee swelling ( replaced knee) is directly related to tightness of my IT band and my quads. It is quite painful to roll out, but it helps. I can't afford weekly massages, so the Rumble Roller is a solution.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I'm a Rumble Roller fan. The stick is pretty great though too- it will be my next gadget for sure.

Just remember, the trick to myofascial release is actually sustained pressure, not necessarily the rolling action. The rolling action gets the pressure in the right place, but you need to hold it there to work on the fascia.
  • xprettyreckless
    xprettyreckless Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I just bought a foam roller - would love to hear more techniques on how to work with it too please...