to TDEE -20% or not to????

Options
OK, I have had pretty good succes and lost 2-3 lb in my first week, but YES I feel hungry all the time and I am miserable.

So.... reading up on TDEE and trying to understand it better, it does seem like the right choice for healthy long-term weight loss.

But....upping to 2500 cals?? That's 1000 cals over the MFP suggestion.

What should I do???

Replies

• ArtemisRuns
    ArtemisRuns Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Maybe I am calculating it incorrectly.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I set TDEE to sedentary and don't eat back exercise to maintain. To lose I did BMR + 200.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    That's kind of a high TDEE? Assuming the 2500 is the TDEE-20%, that's over 3k for a TDEE? That's an awful lot for a girl. You may want to double/triple check that calculation.

Otherwise, if you follow mfp & eat your exercise calories & have your goals set at a reasonable rate, you'll likely be eating very close to the same # of calories as of you do the TDEE-20%. So really six of one, half dozen of the other-it's all in what method you find easier to follow/work with.

You're tired, cranky and hungry because you just started this process. You probably drastically changed what you ate last week (compared to the previous say 200 weeks). Relax-you'll get past that. Don't go crazy changing things up - be patient. If you're still cranky, miserable & hungry after a month or two (AND you are eating at least some of your exercise calories)-then think about changing things up.
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Not sure if that link is going to work, if it doesn't try searching in place of a road map. I think it might help you figure out where to set your calories.
  • ArtemisRuns
    Options
    Yeah I read that. Maybe I need to look at it again. I just didn't see where to calculate TDEE. I saw somewhere on here it was your weight in lbs. X 15 cals/pound for maintenance???
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Yeah I read that. Maybe I need to look at it again. I just didn't see where to calculate TDEE. I saw somewhere on here it was your weight in lbs. X 15 cals/pound for maintenance???

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

Enter in your current weight. Enter that same weight on the "goal weight". It will tell you what you need to maintain (your TDEE)
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    TDEE is calculated generally with something like a spreadsheet because you need to account for all your hourly activities.Here is a very in depth post about the how/why and a spreadsheet too:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813720-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones
  • ArtemisRuns
    Options
    Thanks for the link, Ice. Makes much more sense now. Now to figure out how to change the goal cals in MFP.
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    Thanks to my Body Media fit link I have seen that my TDEE ranges from 2000-3200 a day relative to activities. (2000 being a very lazy day, 3200 was when I had been active all day on my feet working at an outdoor festival and then walking in a parade)....I currently have my MFP set at 1500 cal (NET) which is slightly above my BMR and usually strive to eat no less than 1500 net and be at a 700-1000 deficit from my TDEE.

But the Body Media Fit has taken a lot of guess work out of some of the numbers.

Just make sure you are being realistic with your activity level and make sure you adjust your caloric needs with your expenditure. It won't be the same everyday (unless you do the same everyday).
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    bump for the spreadsheet link...
  • Love2lift72
    Love2lift72 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    bump for the spreadsheet link...
    ditto
  • ArtemisRuns
    Options