Learning to love running

Options
Hi guys,

I started at work on a circuit training program which was 40 mins twice a week in my lunch hour - got into the habit of that and (although a regular excercise hater) started to look forward to the days i was doing the workout, not because i enjoyed working out but because of how good i would feel after - not falling asleep at my desk and having energy all afternoon, plus i found it gave me more calories to play with and actually less hungry.

anyway my circuit trainer has ceased the sessions, so for the last 2.5 weeks i have been doing a 2 lap jog of my office complex on the same days i used to do the training. its roughly the same calories but in all honesty it's a struggle - i hate running... i try to go to a steady pace but most comfortable running at 7-8 mph ... however i can do the first 1/2 mile at that pace then roughly switch between running 7 mph and walking 4 mph every quarter of a mile. total loop two times is about 3 miles.

anyhoo... i love the feeling the workout gives me, and i love having the extra calories to spare, BUT i genuinely hate the running....

just wondering really how i can improve, either learn to run longer, or learn to hate it less... or really for those who "love" running do you just love the feeling you get after and endure the running as i currently am?

I should add that as i work 2 jobs, doing my workouts after work is not an option for me - i have barely enough time to eat, free range my pets and get to second job in the evening as it is. I intended to try and up the amount of lunchtime runs i was doing but because i find it tough anyway im struggling to do it more than the twice a week already....I want to get into this, i want to enjoy running as people say you can, i just dont know how to do it....

Replies

• _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    I also really hate running, so the only thing that helped me was to not run anymore.
  • mrtrik
    mrtrik Posts: 31
    Options
    Running takes time to love (if you start not loving it).

FWIW - 7-8mph is fairly fast for a seasoned runner, let alone a new runner. Running doesn't need to feel like hard work (not every run anyway). For now it should be easy.

You need to be able to think about things that aren't related to how much running stinks. Slow down. Enjoy your time. Enjoy the sights (try different routes, explore the neighborhood). Slow down. Trust me on that one. Listen to good uptempo music. Try an audio book. The goal is to free your mind. Unless it's a very specific hard run workout, you shouldn't be thinking about each step. The more you run the better it gets. When I started running (6 yrs now?) i hated it too, it took about 6 months until I really started enjoying it. But then, no one told me to slow down - so each run was an attempt to run faster or further than the last one.

Also - if possible check out local running groups. The social aspect is great. Even one day a week. It'll provide great motivation. Beginners are always welcome, and the speeds are accommodating.

I'm not the fastest runner, but I do a <19:00 5k, <39:00 10k, <1:30 13.1 and rarely run 8mph....
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Running takes time to love (if you start not loving it).

FWIW - 7-8mph is fairly fast for a seasoned runner, let alone a new runner. Running doesn't need to feel like hard work (not every run anyway). For now it should be easy.

You need to be able to think about things that aren't related to how much running stinks. Slow down. Enjoy your time. Enjoy the sights (try different routes, explore the neighborhood). Slow down. Trust me on that one. Listen to good uptempo music. Try an audio book. The goal is to free your mind. Unless it's a very specific hard run workout, you shouldn't be thinking about each step. The more you run the better it gets. When I started running (6 yrs now?) i hated it too, it took about 6 months until I really started enjoying it. But then, no one told me to slow down - so each run was an attempt to run faster or further than the last one.

Also - if possible check out local running groups. The social aspect is great. Even one day a week. It'll provide great motivation. Beginners are always welcome, and the speeds are accommodating.

I'm not the fastest runner, but I do a <19:00 5k, <39:00 10k, <1:30 13.1 and rarely run 8mph....

I'm glad you said that was fast! A 19 minute 5K? I consider that super fast LOL.

I am slow. My best 5K time is only around 34:30. I agree that you should really slow down - at least at first. I am up to running about 10 miles on my long runs now, which are at an even slower, snail-like pace. I never liked running before but have certainly learned to like it over the last 9 months!
  • sati18
    sati18 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Think is i try to run slower but that's the pace i tend to end up at - i run outside so i don't have a treadmill or anything to tell me what speed im doing, just cardio trainer - it's possible their GPS tracking isn#t that accurate though.

Thank you guys for your responses they're very helpful - i'll persevere and try to put together a decent running playlist too to listen to.

:D
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    The app I use on my phone (Jog Log) will call out my speed or pace on any interval I want it to. I do it every 5 minutes but I don't have an issue with pacing. You could set it to every minute until you get the hang of the pacing.
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Think is i try to run slower but that's the pace i tend to end up at - i run outside so i don't have a treadmill or anything to tell me what speed im doing, just cardio trainer - it's possible their GPS tracking isn#t that accurate though.

Thank you guys for your responses they're very helpful - i'll persevere and try to put together a decent running playlist too to listen to.

Keep trying, it is hard, especially for beginning runners that are already fairly fit from other exercise, but running slower will:

1) Make it more pleasant without that "I am dying, I wish this was over feeling."
    2) Help you build the endurance to run longer and faster in the future.

YMMV
  • teelynn35
    teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I used to hate running, still not my favorite. I just set little goals for myself. I finally did a 5k under 30 mins. I'm signed up for my 1st half in April. Just take baby steps. I found the longer I stuck with it, the better I could tolerate it. If there is anyway you could trail run, it might help. I prefer running in the trails with nature over hard concrete any day. Get a good play list with happy up beat songs. I like hip hop or dance music when I run. I found slow songs make me run slower. Hope this helps and keep up the great work!!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    For me, the "enjoyment" that comes from running is all about my rhythm... when my stride and my breathing is in sync, there is something very rhythmic and almost soothing about it.
  • JHart0816
    JHart0816 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I haven't always loved running, either. It took almost a year for me to really get hooked on it. What helped me was finding music that I enjoy running to. I run first thing in the moring and it's become one of my favorite parts of my day. I listen to great music, get nice and sweaty and feel so great afterwards. I think the more you run, the more you become "addicted" to it. Just don't push yourself too hard at first or you will burn out.

Another thing that has really helped motivate me is keeping a running log. I use a simple running log app on my iPhone when I run on my treadmill, which is most of the time. When I run outside, I use Strava, which I love as it shows me my progress and I can see how I'm improving over time. It's fun to try and see if I can run faster or farther than my last run :)
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I hated running when I started. I couldn't do a mile faster than 18 minutes. Every step my brain was screaming, "I hate this!!!"

But, I kept with it because I had no money for the gym and I know runners tend to be lean and I wanted that (not the extreme lean like professional runners, just leaner than I was). here are some things I discovered along the way:

1. Because I sucked so badly, I had lot of opportunity to improve and lots of chances to pat myself on the back for increased speed, distance, and stamina

2. I eventually did begin to love it - and miss it if I missed a run day

3. I CAN run at a normal pace! I ran my first 5k race two months ago and finished at a 10:34 pace (my fasted ever)

4. In a period of 4 months I went from nearly dying after a one mile fast walk to that PR time in the race - so the improvement was noticeably quick

5. Now I have the running bug and have scheduled a HM in May.

6. If I can do it, YOU DEFINITELY CAN. I do agree with other posters that suggest slowing yourself down for a while; find a comfortable pace where you can run the entire time. Also, get a runners app to track you stats.
  • BethanyRTS
    Options
    Keep trying and listen to your body. I have a hard time taking a day off running. You really do learn to love it---and love to see the looks on peoples faces when you tell then how far you ran that day!
  • jc112486
    jc112486 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I also hated running when I first started. It was painful. I would always feel like i was going to cough up blood, even if I only ran for a few minutes. I think that you are running fast for a long distance beginning (I find that it is easier to go faster with circuits because you are stopping and starting/alternating better cardio and weights). My advice would be to start with a short distance--maybe even half a mile--jogging at about a 10 min mile. So this for about two weeks, or however fast it takes use until this becomes easy. Then, just keep building up from there.

I could only do half a block when I started and felt terrible afterwards. I pushed myself slowly, and I have learned to love running! I've done multiple 5K's and a couple 10K's. A half marathon is next on my list! YOU CAN DO IT!
  • jc112486
    jc112486 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Also try MapMyRun!
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Straight up, you're going WAY to fast. I'm a better than average recreational runner, I do 5ks in around 22 and change. That's good enough to finish in the top 10% of most races, even large ones in a big metro area. I'm not amazing or anything (at least one poster above does a good bit better than me), but definitely above average. You're running your training runs at close to my 5K pace. To be clear, you're supposed to run training runs at 2-3 mph slower than your own 5k pace, but you're running yours at a pace you can't even finish a 5k at. You've got to slow down.

For one thing, you're unlikely to improve at the pace you're currently running at. You're going flat out every time, and your body can't keep up, let alone build strength. For another, you're greatly increasing your chance of injury. Injury is always much more likely when you push the edge of what you can do, and you're doing it everyday. For a third, you're making yourself unnecessarily miserable. The reason you "hate running" is that you are literally torturing yourself every time you go running.

There's a couple of things you can do to improve pacing:

1) Use the "talking test". At a training pace you should be able to hold a conversation. Not just gasp out a word or two, actually hold a conversation. You know when you see soldiers run, they shout out cadences? There's two reasons for that, one it to keep time, the other is to see who is running to fast. If you don't run with anyone, you can do the "talk test" by singing a couple lines of a song, or reciting poetry. Just make sure that you can get complete sentences out without gasping.

2) Get a GPS watch or app that keeps track of pace. I use Runmeter, but there's tons of them out there. Most can be setup with an alert when you are going to fast or too slow. It checks your pace about once every minute and tells you how you're doing. These thing aren't perfect (everybody slows down a little on uphills or speeds up a little on downhills, or has to stop and tie their shoes), and it can get annoying to be constantly listening to your pace. That said, it can help a lot, and you don't have to use it every time you run, especially once you get a feel for pace.

3) Run with a partner that can pace you. A lot of experienced runners have a pretty good idea of how fast they're running at any given time. Beware that not every experience runner can do this (I'm personally terrible at it), and it's not going to be perfect, but it can help.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    1) Run slower than you think you should
    2) Keep running.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's hard to make yourself love something you hate...I think it's pretty much impossible. I've loved running ever since I was a kid and discovered I was pretty darned fast in the 1st grade...I ran track from then through highschool and always loved running. I'm a much better sprinter than endurance runner, but I enjoy a nice run...it just feels good all the way around.

I mix my run days up in that I don't always run x miles or whatever...I'm just getting back into it and have been doing 1.5 miles jog with .25 walking warm up and .25 mile walking cool down...then rest day...then 1x8 HIITs where I push it steady but hard for a minute and then walk at a good pace for 1.5 minutes...then run again, etc. On the thrid day I just go for a 2 mile moderately paced walk. This keeps things interesting and I'm not doing the same thing every day. I'm getting ready to bump up to 2 miles jogging next week with the .25 mile warm up and cool down, so I'll be adding a mile...and upping the intensity of my other days as well...next month I'll be up to 3 miles.

It also helps me to have a goal...mine right now is to do the Superbowl Sunday Touchdown 5K Run for the Homeless in Feb...this way I'm not out there just training for training's sake...I'm actually training for something I'm going to do down the road.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it do something else. What about jumping rope (easy to take to work) or just good ol' calisthenics?

And that is really fast. Seriously. Really fast. If you want to stick with running you should really slow down.
  • 2gurl45
    Options
    I hate running............. I try not to do it if I don't have to :P I do other forms of cardio such as kickboxing and aerobics classes. I do yoga on the weekend for toning, as well as dance class (street hip hop) 3 times a week, so that adds to my cardio. I enjoy classes because since everyone's doing it, it gives me the motivation to continue! when running I'm like, ok I'm just gonna stop cause... you know...... Why not try classes or group runs I think someone suggested here? having other people exercise with you is a great motivater :)
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Follow these directions and you'll be fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6FmbMiIxws
  • sati18
    sati18 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hwey guys just wanted to pop back in and say a massive thank you to everyone for your advice and to say yep you were all completely right and it was a speed thing. I forced myself to slow down today - kept between 4.5 and 5.5 mph (according to cardio trainer tracking - don't know how accurate that is) and managed the full 2- 2.2 miles without stopping, and with a few hundred yards fast walking either end on top of the core run as warm up/warm down.

It wasn't torture... i got a slight stitch initially but because i wasn't running so fast i could push through it and just slow the pace for a while.... I don't feel like i'm dying now and although i was defintiely tired by the end i still didn't feel bad.

I reckon if i can keep going like that i can keep this up for sure.... thank you again you guys really really helped!

PS Can anyone recommend some decent, not too expensive shoes sitable for running outdoors? i have a feeling my manky old pain of Vans aren't going to it if i want to do this properly