Running Question - Metatarsalgia

Options
I would post this on my FL, but I don't think I have enough runners....anyone have experience with metatarsalgia (pain in the ball of my foot, specifically at the base of my 2nd toe)? It sort of feels like a deep bruise. My running shoes are pretty worn out and I'm getting a new pair tomorrow- could it just be from that? Will it likely go away once I replace the shoes?

I haven't been doing anything new lately- I run indoor and outside, distances ranging from 1-7 miles regularly, both speedwork and SS, and hill sprints. It started bothering me after a longer treadmill run- but not out-of-the-ordinary long. I haven't upped my mileage or anything lately- if anything it's been getting lower b/c I'm kind of a baby about running in the dark and cold rain.

Any tips? It's really not a bad pain, just new and weird- I've never had it before.

Replies

• dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Any visible bruising? Could be a number of things...from something as easy as needing a new pair of shoes, to being a stress fracture. Although, the latter is probably not the case since you haven't added any mileage to your workouts. Are you running more frequently than normal?
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    The way I can tell that my shoes are nearing their EOL is when the bottoms of my feet get sore after a run, so it's quite possible that the new shoes will fix this. You'll know within a week or two. You might give it an extra day or two of rest to be sure.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Any visible bruising? Could be a number of things...from something as easy as needing a new pair of shoes, to being a stress fracture. Although, the latter is probably not the case since you haven't added any mileage to your workouts. Are you running more frequently than normal?

No, no visible bruising. No more frequency. The only thing different is the shoes giving out, I think. Doesn't necessarily rule out stress fracture, though. :grumble:
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    No, no visible bruising. No more frequency. The only thing different is the shoes giving out, I think. Doesn't necessarily rule out stress fracture, though. :grumble:

Try getting the new shoes. If it still hurts when you run, stay off of it for a few days and see if that helps. Back in October, I had terrible shin splints and also managed to hyper extend my knee during a race. As much as it pained me to stay off of it, I did just that, for about a month, and when I returned to it...both the shin splints and the knee pain were gone. Maybe your foot just needs some time off...I know...not what you want to hear, but if it is a stress fracture, continuing to run will only make it worse. :frown:
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I had that last year. Mine went away after I ignored it for several months and got a stress fracture in my foot which made me take 4 weeks off.

New shoes may help. If not take a few days off and crosstrain.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options

I doubt you have a stress fracture yet if you are still able to run. Speaking from experience, unless you are unable to feel pain in your foot, you cannot run on a stress fracture.
  • 2BhappyBhealthy
    2BhappyBhealthy Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I've actually experienced something similar as well. New shoes (and socks actually) made all the difference in the world. It didn't instantly fix it but it progressively got better so I think having poor support caused me to bruise something. I could never actually see a bruise -- I think someone told me I possibly bruised the bone?
  • MoreBean13
    Options

I doubt you have a stress fracture yet if you are still able to run. Speaking from experience, unless you are unable to feel pain in your foot, you cannot run on a stress fracture.

Good to know, thanks. I like this answer.

Sidenote: I just did a couple quick miles on it, and now my whole calf kind of hurts. Erm.......I'm sure it will go away.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Bump- anyone else have advice/experience/tips?
  • Suerhv
    Suerhv Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Not sure, I have it too, between second and third toes...I have pain all the time walking. I'm going back to the doctor, but until then, I bought new runners from New Balance (wide widths) and one of their fancy insoles that has the metatarsal support in it to help...it did help enough that I can now run/walk on that foot again...way less painful...I think losing weight will help me too (my flat foot problems are not helped since I am 30 lb overweight)... but I am going back to inquire about orthotics possibly to wear in regular shoes since I can't wear my runners every day... Has yours gotten any better?
  • deb1fat0
    deb1fat0 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Please keep us updated. I went to my doctor expecting a referral for orthotics because of intense pain behind the second and third toes. I was instead referred for physiotherapy for my lower back. I will be starting that soon - I want to be able to golf this summer without being crippled after the 6th hole!
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're just overtrained to me. I would lay off the running for a week and see how you feel after that. just lift or something else to get some workouts in.
  • clhardy5
    clhardy5 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I had a similar pain last year...that slowly got worse - to the point that I finally went to the podiatrist. She diagnosed:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0004542/

Mortons Neuroma

and suggested that I get new running shoes and orthotics. Not sure if this is what your are experiencing because for most people with this the pain is between the 3rd and 4th toe....but my pain was between the 2nd and 3rd. I was eventually able to recover and am back to running again.

I also got the calf pain - and my doctor said that was because I was changing my gait to avoid the pain in the ball and was stressing muscles that I usually didn't stress.

Carrie
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    This sounds like exactly what I had a few months ago. It's far from the worst running injury I've had, but it was annoying. I tried rest, but that didn't work. I think ultimately it was new shoes that made it go away. Also, really, a drastically different kind of shoe. Ironically my thick Newtons were hurting my foot, but my Altra Samsons with their 7mm stack height didn't.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Just an update- this was back in December when I posted. I got new shoes, which didn't solve the problem immediately. I took a little time off and rested it, and with the new shoes once I came back rested, the foot hasn't bothered me since. I am fairly sure it was from the old shoes.