Diary help please

Options
SO I weigh myself today and again I stayed the same that's 3weeks now what am I doing wrong I'm I eating too much/to little? Can anyone help me? I have read the road map & think I understood it so I'm 40 5ft 2 & 157.5lbs I want to lose 28lbs, my fat % is 37 I'm exercising 3/4 times a week, maybe i need to try 4/5 times a week? I try to stay under 1444 cals a day
I'm gutted and confused I work hard especially this last week with insanity & Kettlebells I feel like I deserve at least 1lb weight loss . On top of all that all I've lost is half an inch from my waist
Anyone able to give me advice?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    SO I weigh myself today and again I stayed the same that's 3weeks now what am I doing wrong I'm I eating too much/to little? Can anyone help me? I have read the road map & think I understood it so I'm 40 5ft 2 & 157.5lbs I want to lose 28lbs, my fat % is 37 I'm exercising 3/4 times a week, maybe i need to try 4/5 times a week? I try to stay under 1444 cals a day
    I'm gutted and confused I work hard especially this last week with insanity & Kettlebells I feel like I deserve at least 1lb weight loss . On top of all that all I've lost is half an inch from my waist
    Anyone able to give me advice?

I don't need to look at your diary to know that 1400 calories isn't enough for insanity. The minimal requirement for calories is 1800 on that program. And if you add kettle bells or even substitute it, you will need at least 1800 calories.I would say workout 5 days a week and eat closer to 1800 and set your macro's to 40/40/20 c/p/f.

ps- too many carbs, not enough protein though. Add more lean meats to substitute for some of the breads and wraps.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, not losing weight when working hard sucks!

I looked at your diary and I do think it looks good for the most part, but a couple suggestions. First, try lowering the amount of carbs you eat on a daily basis and up the amount of protein - everybody is different, but I've found that this has worked every time for me when I'm stuck (I try to keep it under or around 100g a day). Eat more fruits/veggies at meals. Also, how is your fiber? I don't see it listed as one of your categories, but this can also help you to lose weight as well.

I'd try bumping up the exercise a bit as well. I'm not sure if you're working out 3/4 consecutive days, or if it's every other day, or if it's closer to 3 than 4 - but if you're looking to shed weight more quickly and generally look better, turning up the heat on the workouts is the way to go. You said you do insanity and kettlebells... what do you do with the kettlebells? Have you developed a lifting routine? How about a cardio routine? If you're trying to lose some fat and gain muscle, try to split between the two, and check out how many calories you're burning during each if you have a HRM.

Others will probably tell you to take before & after pictures and to measure, as they are the best ways to chart your progress. Remember that you've been at it for 3 weeks and that it took much longer than that to put the weight on.

Also, as a side note, if you worked out especially hard last week (and maybe not as hard the week before), your muscles could be retaining a bit of water. I generally don't like to tell people this as I find they usually take it and run with it without examining the food issue, but it's a definitely possibility if you've gone from zero to ten in the past week. Check where your weight is next week and see if things even out.

Please add/message me if you need any help!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I feel your pain, not losing weight when working hard sucks!

I looked at your diary and I do think it looks good for the most part, but a couple suggestions. First, try lowering the amount of carbs you eat on a daily basis and up the amount of protein - everybody is different, but I've found that this has worked every time for me when I'm stuck (I try to keep it under or around 100g a day). Eat more fruits/veggies at meals. Also, how is your fiber? I don't see it listed as one of your categories, but this can also help you to lose weight as well.

I'd try bumping up the exercise a bit as well. I'm not sure if you're working out 3/4 consecutive days, or if it's every other day, or if it's closer to 3 than 4 - but if you're looking to shed weight more quickly and generally look better, turning up the heat on the workouts is the way to go. You said you do insanity and kettlebells... what do you do with the kettlebells? Have you developed a lifting routine? How about a cardio routine? If you're trying to lose some fat and gain muscle, try to split between the two, and check out how many calories you're burning during each if you have a HRM.

Others will probably tell you to take before & after pictures and to measure, as they are the best ways to chart your progress. Remember that you've been at it for 3 weeks and that it took much longer than that to put the weight on.

Also, as a side note, if you worked out especially hard last week (and maybe not as hard the week before), your muscles could be retaining a bit of water. I generally don't like to tell people this as I find they usually take it and run with it without examining the food issue, but it's a definitely possibility if you've gone from zero to ten in the past week. Check where your weight is next week and see if things even out.

Please add/message me if you need any help!

Just want to point out one semantic (sorry) but you can not gain muscle and cut fat. You can only do one or the other. One requires an anabolic state (calorie surplus) and one requires a catabolic state (calorie deficit).
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    re: gaining muscle and losing fat, I didn't mean at the same time. you can gain muscle and lose fat over a period of months, not days. either way, since the OP is probably not much into nutrient timing and is looking to drop weight, she is probably looking to cut fat first while not losing muscle. which yes, requires a catabolic state. point taken.

either way, OP, I think I gave decent advice. try dropping the carbs a bit and upping the protein first. good luck :)
  • kathheen
    kathheen Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much I thought I ate too much carbs I really like bread but I will reduce it and add in more protein. The thing with insanity I'm only doing it 3x week & kettles 2x but I do the cardio abs & kettles in one night so do I just up my calories to 1800 on those days? It's the jillian michaels shred it with weights I do twice weekly.
    I will change my profile to show fibre
    Thanks for your replies they really helped
  • psuLemon
    Options
    would start at 1700 calories as you still workout 5x a week. Do that for a month or six weeks and see what kind of results you get.
  • kathheen
    kathheen Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I will start today thanks!