Just getting started up on here...any advice?

Options
I am working on losing a total of 50 lbs by June of this next year....that is, of course, if we make it past December 21st...LOL. Anyway, I am new to the site, so hoping to get some advice and input on results from using it.

Thanks.

Replies

• mdonovan
    Options
    Log every day and be honest with what you eat and how much you exercise. Oh, and drink water. More water than you ever thought possible. Good luck :)
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    You can do it cheaply. I lost the most weight by not using my car and walking everywhere instead. Log daily. Eat more fibre, drink more water and make sure protein is in your diet. I found mayo clinic weight loss site to be helpful
  • dsimmons107
    dsimmons107 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    You and get both good and bad advice here. You meet some really good people. Work hard and know that no one can put the effort in but you and thats what makes the difference. You can add me as a friend if you like.
  • ElleM0
    ElleM0 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Log every day and be honest with what you eat and how much you exercise. Oh, and drink water. More water than you ever thought possible. Good luck :)

I TOTALLY agree.. log the good, the bad, and the ugly! Drink your water. If you fall off the wagon - just get back on. One of my fave fitness quotes is ... "No matter how slow you go, you're still faster than anyone on the COUCH!"

Good Luck with your goal. :flowerforyou:
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    LOG EVERYTHING! NO EXCEPTIONS, NO EXCUSES, EVER!
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Exercise and log your food. See what your calorie goal is then work toward meeting that. You may need to change up your diet a little or look at portion control.

Regarding MFP message boards:
    Search to see if something you want to ask has been asked before.
    Don't take things personally.
    Don't believe everything you read.

Try to find some friends who will support you and motivate you. Good luck!
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Weigh and Measure everything. Log everything :drinker:
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Look at this as a lifestyle change and not a diet and don't deprive yourself of your favorite foods just have them in moderation. I always tell myself that I can have more tomorrow. You will have days that you cheat, don't beat yourself up just get right back on track.
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    (1) Log every single day.
    (2) Log every single item.
    (3) Exercise.
    (4) Don't lose hope.
  • soaps54
    soaps54 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    The scale really sucks sometimes, take measurements now so you can compare later. :-)
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    You look really pretty now in your photo, but for you to feel really good about yourself, follow everything everyone has said x

good luck in you quest and I am sure we will be seeing your progress pics in June x
  • BalenciaLynn
    BalenciaLynn Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Look at this as a lifestyle change and not a diet and don't deprive yourself of your favorite foods just have them in moderation. I always tell myself that I can have more tomorrow. You will have days that you cheat, don't beat yourself up just get right back on track.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    One good tip is don't post any threads about "mean people and/or bullies".
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Two suggestions!

1) Take a before picture - you will appreciate it when you start losing/toning up as sometimes the scales can be very deceiving (and disheartening). Take a progress pic every 2/3 months - you will be amazed by the difference as often you don't see the changes yourself.
    2) - Lose the scales!
  • LusciousLady
    LusciousLady Posts: 43 Member
    Options

I agree with this as well. You have to log and be dedicated. I don't always eat well but I have completely stopped drinking anything but water and log everything I eat. I also try to exercise at least 3 times a week, even though goal is 5 times. GOOD LUCK!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice here. MFP is full of successive losers (like me!) so take full advantage of the site. Make sure you are eating enough and are tracking cals in and cals out as best you can. It helps to have a digital kitchen scale. Keep your eyes on your goal and not the inevitable short term setbacks...those will happen too as it's part of the process. And login everyday. From my experience, those who login everyday are much more likely to reach their goals than those who login sporadically.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    1. Log on daily and log everything u eat even if you go over. It works if you do it, and I find a lot of the time the people who are baffled by their lack of results are the same people who go days or weeks without logging in.
    2. Be prepared for serious backlash on the forums for using the following words: PLATEAU, JOURNEY, DR. OZ
    3. Try to avoid threads about sugar, eating back exercise calories, bullying, drinking soda, milk, and women supposedly getting bulky from weights. They never end well. They go from naive to ugly in a hot minute.
    4. Time of the month questions (shark week) will be met with sarcasm and telling you to see your gyno. And questions about your relationship (anything from fitness activities to what to get him for xmas will be met with sarcasm and "just break up." Just to save u time and effort I thought you might wanna know that.
    5. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't make them a bully. It's the internet.
    6. Have an open diary. You have to actually go in to settings to change it because the default setting is either closed or only open to friends. Without an open diary you get more generalizations than personal advice. And people get snarky when you ask advice and show no diary, no pics. Then we have to take your word for it, from your pretty good diet and pretty good exercise to your bulky woman muscles, we like to see for ourselves. If you wanna be secretive search the forum for your topic and follow that advice. Few people have unique problems. But they all think they do. You are special, just like everyone else.
    7. the exercise calories estimated by mfp are about double than what you are really burning. If you go by those numbers I wouldn't recommend eating back more than half the exercise calories. If you can afford it get a heart rate monitor (hrm) they are worth the money.
    8. And just my opinion, try to keep the whining and threatening to quit to a minimum. If you think you can't, you won't. None of the people on here who have been successful got there from quitting.
    9. If you dont know how to spell prepare to be crucified.
    10. Welcome and good luck! I probably sound like a biotch but I think you'll find most of this to be true :-)

*Edited for a typo correction. Darn auto-correct can get u killed in here ya know
  • gregarybrown72
    gregarybrown72 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple. Every time you go to the gym look to burn 500 calories doing cardio. Mix in weights but cardio should be the basis of your program. The bike, tread mill, and rotating steps are great. If the machince does not ask your weight and take your heart rate avoid it. This will make sense later. Work within you calorie allocation. If its 2000 thats 200 for breakfast, 500 for lunch, 800 for dinner, and 500 for misc. snacks. Count everthing in and out. Lastly, take a day off every week to pamper yourself and recover.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple. Every time you go to the gym look to burn 500 calories doing cardio. Mix in weights but cardio should be the basis of your program.

WHY?