isnt it risky to run outside when it could be icy?

Options
I am new to jogging...and people keep saying they run outside no matter the weather etc,,,

Honestly...it wouldnt phase me to be out in the cold , drizzle etc....but my concern is winter paths...

Am I being too cautious in thinking icy patches could lead to injury..etc...

I am from New Hampshire...so quite a while before the nice weather returns on a regular basis...

Any tips for outdoor jogging in winter in this type of area?

I really want to stay steady with the couch to 5k...if it gets a good snow I could replicate similar with my snowshoes around the lake...but it is that slick but no snow that seems tough...

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    yes. running on ice is risky
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    It's risky to run any time...but much more when you start dealing with sketchy terrain. Personally, I wouldn't run outside if I expected ice. Snow? Ok, but not ice.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Bring ice skates.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    in before the "dreadmill" comments
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I treat any outdoor form of exercise like I would riding my motorcycle. If the weather doesn't permit me to safely ride my motorcycle, then I wouldn't do anything outside that constituted exercise.
  • swarovski75
    swarovski75 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    If you get really good winter trail shoes its okay for the odd icy patch. They can be pricey though. I just ordered a pair of Salomon Spikecross CS 3 and they have carbide spikes that dig into the ice (unisex - you will need to know your size in men's). I used to have a similar pair long, long ago, but with removable spikes. Worth the investment for me because I love running outside.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Yeah, ice is risky. Run when there's ample light to see in front of you. Trail shoes have a little more traction than regular shoes -which will help on packed powder, but nothing much will help on a sheet of ice. You can get Yak Trax for additional traction- they're sort of like snow chains for your sneakers.

I wouldn't let the winter weather stop you in your program- you just have to slow down and be extra careful of your footing. Some days it might be beneficial to wait until mid-day for the previous night's ice to clear up a little. Try to choose flatter courses vs. steep hills, and if you can, take it indoors when the weather is too risky. There's lots of gyms now with $10/mo memberships- I would definitely pay $10 for the option to run indoors when I need to.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    There are traction aids you can use. I used the "Due North" ones many a run in the winter and there is a lot of snow and ice where I live.

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/90baa97d#/90baa97d/149
  • iamkarent
    iamkarent Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I like the motorcycle comment...makes sense.

Looks like my plan will be trail if clear...treadmill if just icy...and snowshoes if real snow to go on...

Time to buy my pup some protective booties I guess! :)
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    If you have an old pair of running shoes, you can make your own "screw shoes". These things are pretty much bombproof on ice.

http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

I run on anything. Anything outside is better than the dreadmill. Just need to have the proper gear.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    If you have an old pair of running shoes, you can make your own "screw shoes". These things are pretty much bombproof on ice.

http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

I run on anything. Anything outside is better than the dreadmill. Just need to have the proper gear.

I don't know how I've never seen this/thought of this before, but it is straight AWESOME. Best thing I've read in the forums in a long time. Thanks!!!! :bigsmile: