Ways to help curb hunger?

Options
So before I start getting heavy into my 2013 weight loss journey, I have been prepping myself by eating better foods and cutting down my calorie portions. I find though I am constantly feeling hungry. I have tried the tricks of drinking water when hungry, which just makes me have pee even more and I already feel like I am peeing more than anything else since upping my water intake to the 8 cups a day lol. I have also tried the whole eating veggies to curb it but I still constantly have that "need" to munch constantly.
I am sure it is probably just a mental thing but does anyone have any advice on how to deal with it? I am just worried that if I continue to listen to that hunger pain that I wont meet any of my goals.

Replies

• horsewhisper91
    horsewhisper91 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I was always told to eat something crunchy/hard like carrots or apples. The longer it takes you to eat something the more your body feels like it is full.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Willpower. It's amazing. Seriously.

I'm doing the water thing and it does help with "hunger" pains. I try to double it actually. Yes, I get made fun of at work for going to the bathroom every 20 minutes, but who cares.

After those "hunger" pains subside and your stomach is still growling, eat something. That's when you know it's snack time. Have 100-200 calorie snack like some fruit, veggies, yogurt, or something else.
  • tbetz1
    tbetz1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I drink tea, the flavour sometimes helps and I get to sip and enjoy it
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Eating is the best way to curb hunger in my opinion.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Eating.
  • runforyourlyfe
    runforyourlyfe Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When all of a sudden eating smaller portions it takes a while for your body to adjust. If you truely are hungry eat some veggies or fruit :)
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I tried drinking more fluids and I had the same problem, running to the bathroom all day. The first few weeks of my new lifestyle, I was starving because I was used to eating soooo much food. Between meals, I ended up boiling eggs and just eating the white. It is full of protein, had only 17 cals in one large white, keeps you full and you can basically eat as many as you want. Usually 2 or 3 worked for me. I also added them to salads and added extra whites to whole egg omelets. Oh, and I gave the yolks to my cat so nothing was wasted. :)
  • kbc7288
    kbc7288 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If I'm feeling "hungry" (and I KNOW fruit or veggies won't satisfy), I'll have a bowl of oatmeal or a slice of oat crunch bread with peanut butter--always does the trick. I'm only on " Day 3", but I'm realizing that I'm suppose to eat until I'm no longer "hungry" (NOT until I'm FULL!) and that it's okay to be a little hungry when I go to bed. I get to eat when I get up anyway!!! Huh....what a concept....only eat until I'm no longer hungry. It sounds ridiculous, but that's COMPLETELY foreign to me :laugh:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

But.....have you tried green tea? :laugh:
  • childermass
    childermass Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    If I'm feeling "hungry" (and I KNOW fruit or veggies won't satisfy), I'll have a bowl of oatmeal or a slice of oat crunch bread with peanut butter--always does the trick. I'm only on " Day 3", but I'm realizing that I'm suppose to eat until I'm no longer "hungry" (NOT until I'm FULL!) and that it's okay to be a little hungry when I go to bed. I get to eat when I get up anyway!!! Huh....what a concept....only eat until I'm no longer hungry. It sounds ridiculous, but that's COMPLETELY foreign to me :laugh:

You have just summed up my major lesson since doing this!
    I found that I have to RELAX about food. I was eating like a wild animal who doesn't know where the next meal is coming from!
    (the answer is - the pantry, and shock horror, the food will still be there tomorrow)
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options

No, but I have tried other green herbs. That really helps with eating too.
  • DBubba65
    DBubba65 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Veggies is my first pick, fat free greek yogurt second, a protein shake (love MRM Whey Berry or chocolate). It is very filling with your favorite lowfat milk and is very rich with no nasty after taste.
  • Jewelforyou
    Options
    If I'm hungry and its not time for a meal yet, I'll often have have a small bowl of a broth-based soup (usually a chicken noodle or vegetable beef). Soup like this can be pretty filling for very few calories. And for me because its hot it feels more substantial than munching on cold veggie sticks. It can often hold me at least and hour or two.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Depending on what your deficit is set at you may have a decent amount of wiggle room to eat more and still lose weight. Plus exercise can suppress appetite. Also, fats and proteins are generally more satiating than carbs.
  • csi4us
    csi4us Posts: 74
    Options
    If I'm hungry and its not time for a meal yet, I'll often have have a small bowl of a broth-based soup (usually a chicken noodle or vegetable beef). Soup like this can be pretty filling for very few calories. And for me because its hot it feels more substantial than munching on cold veggie sticks. It can often hold me at least and hour or two.

I to eat chicken broth and find it very feeling!
  • MoreBean13
    Options

No, but I have tried other green herbs. That really helps with eating too.

The parsley they put on your plate is decorative. Stop eating it.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Eat more protein and fiber. It keeps you full longer.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    OK after a couple satiric posts, I will tell you my secret to curbing hunger- FAT. Seriously. Eat a higher %age of dietary fat. Satiety will ensue. Low fat diets are counterproductive and leave people hungry all the time. Yeah, fat has more calories, but with a convenient calorie tracking program you should be able to control it.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    This!!! Eat ALL the raw fresh fruit and vegetables that you want! They are the least calorie dense foods on the planet, if you are hungry, eat more.
  • LetsGetFitMama
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I will def give them a chance and see what works best for me!