What Do You Do For Extra Money?

Options

Replies

• MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I had two etsy stores but I ended up having a hard time breaking even.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    If you're already employed but need to supplement your income, there are lots of things you can do in the evenings, during holiday seasons, or on weekends.......

Have a garage sale

Sell stuff on Craigslist/Ebay (you can even re-sell stuff you find cheap at thrift stores)

Deliver newspapers

Deliver pizzas

Work seasonal retail

Call a landscaping/private snowplowing company and see if they need help. Some hire hand shovellers to ride along in the trucks (to do sidewalks, etc.) so you don't even have to know how to operate a plow.

Get your hack license and drive a cab

Work at a place that sells Christmas trees

Write an article and pitch it to a newspaper or magazine editor. Most pay $50-$1,000 for a 2,000 word piece. (I'm a fulltime freelancer...I work in my pj's and earn a good living from home)

Become a waiter/waitress and work the dinner shift

Learn bartending online, get your Smart Card, and see who's hiring

Babysit for third shift parents, or look into making part of your home a daycare for night shift parents

Know how to play an instrument? Good at arts/crafts/sewing? Pass out brochures that advertise your expertise as a teacher for in-home lessons, or look into music stores or craft stores like Michael's to see if they're hiring teachers.

Ever want to be a DJ? If you have the equipment and a good CD collection, research how to do weddings, bar mitzvahs, etc. and advertise yourself.

Offer your services as a pet-sitter or dog walker. (Ditto as a house sitter.)

Good with your hands? Jack of all trades? Offer your services as a handyman or mechanic. (Look into your local laws about being certified and/or bonded first)
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I teach! I'm a adjunct at a local university and also teach classes at the Brooklyn Brainery (don't know if you have anything like it in your area). Here is my class this week: http://brooklynbrainery.com/courses/sex-in-new-york-city-the-history-of-prostitution
  • 007bondage
    007bondage Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I'll find stuff for really cheap at garage sales and sell them for more online.

Yep, this works well (also great for teaching teenagers to learn how to operate a small business)...
  • Jimaudit
    Jimaudit Posts: 275
    Options
    I take the credit card out of my wife's wallet from time to time when it gets overheated.....surprising how reducing spending equals much more money in the pocket.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Is there any way you can increase your income from your main job by becoming more qualified or applying for a promotion? This is what I've always done, I don't want to work more hours...
  • phyllio77
    phyllio77 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Every winter and summer we have a few gentlemen in the neighbourhood that offer there help with yard work and snow shoveling. The one man comes every summer to pull my weed and plant my flowers. I just have to supply the dirt and flowers. He charges 35$ for two hours of labor
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    paid survey sites and adult work
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    When my first kid was born my wife was off work for about 8 months. Things got tight. I worked as a security guard at night for the last few months until she was back at work.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    When my first kid was born my wife was off work for about 8 months. Things got tight. I worked as a security guard at night for the last few months until she was back at work.

And by security guard, he means my pimp.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Serious answer: I do baking on the side. I went to culinary school but I got a full time office job to pay off the loan for now.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    When my husband was in graduate school he became a math and science tutor through a tutoring service. With that same company he also taught the math and science portions of classes for people that needed to pass the tests they need to take to get into grad school and medical school. That was what he did for extra money because he had a research job.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Serious answer: I do baking on the side. I went to culinary school but I got a full time office job to pay off the loan for now.

and i pimped the **** out of her muffins, if you know what I mean
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

and i pimped the **** out of her muffins, if you know what I mean

great experience all around. great customer service. i left you guys a great review on yelp.
  • Chapter3point6
    Options
    I buy stuff at local flea markets and thrift stores and sell it on eBay.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    male stripper
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I made over $500 by having a garage sale and getting rid of a bunch of crap I didn't need.

People post signs around my neighborhood this time of year for installation and removal of outdoor Christmas lights/decorations. That would be a good way to make some Christmas money.
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    bump
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I did bikini contests in the summer, was undefeated for 2 years, and my husband bounced at a club :flowerforyou: but that was a while back.
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Golf Pro Shop assistant..

and while im in Cosmotology school, i do some of those highschool girls hair for prom/homecoming and some weddings.